Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2003 3:14:14 AM EDT
In addition to sale prices on SS109 and M855 green tip, Botach is offering M855 "special bullet"  "silver tip" M855 @ $249 for 1200 shipped free (same same as green tip).  I looked for reference to this on ammo-oracle and do not see any info on special or silver tip.   The product is offered at: http://www.botach.com/IMI/IMIAmmo/imim855s.htm and the balistics are at:  http://www.imisammo.co.il/10174.htm.  Does anyone have any info/opinion of this ammo?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 3:31:51 AM EDT
[#1]
you might want to do a search on botach as well if you're thinking of ordering from them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 3:34:23 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, this is a 62 rgain sub-sonic load.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#3]
The M855S load according to the IMI website is the same ballisticly as regular M855 execpt it has an all lead core there is not steel penatrator. They aslo have a 62gr FMJ match ammo but thats the $169/500 rounds stuff. I believe thats the silver tip stuff, the 62gr match, it looks like it's not a sub sonic round though.

on edit- Ok i was wrong the M855sb(as listed on the IMI site) is the silver tip you speak of.
IMI's 5.56mm M855, SB (SPECIAL BULLET) cartridge, known as the "silver tip" cartridge, is being sold world-wide.
View Quote

BULLET CORE TYPE: STEEL FREE, HIGH ANTIMONY LEAD ALLOY
View Quote

Duh!!!! man to much work, I'll let ya know how i like it when i shoot it friday. Had a dealer friend get a few boxes for me to see what it is about.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#4]
My buddy and I were considering ordering some of this M855S.  He emailed me a bunch of AR15.com threads about the round.

IIRC the consensus was that the M855 penetrator is difficult to manufacture in the exact center of the round.  For that reason, the M855 is somewhat less accurate than M193.

Someone somewhere (a .gov type I'm sure) likely wanted this round and ordered a bunch of it, possibly backing out of the order.  I think that was the best guess as to why IMI produced this round.

But the feeling was that the M855S would be more accurate than the M855 due to the more consistent core construction, yet it would retain other characteristics (minus the pentrator qualities) of M855.

Do a search here on the round and you should turn up some information.

FWIW, I have had two good experiences with Botach, and they were both higher end purchases ($$).  But my rule when dealing with them is to order by phone and confirm they have the item in stock.  Albi, the gentleman who I dealt with, said they had this Izzy ammo stacked up to the ceiling, so it should like they have a lot left.

I ordered some of the IMI M193 (same as what Winchester sold as Q3131A) last week and it arrived yesterday.  I am very happy the ammo and how the order was handled.  At $0.16 per round I would definitely recommend the M193 to others.

HTH

EDITED to add that it's my understanding that the M855S is called "match" only inasmuch as it lacks the M855's pentrator core (and should be more accurate as a result).  But I do not believe that this is made to the high standards of other true "match" rounds.  I.e., it's still mass produced field grade ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top