Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2003 7:39:19 PM EDT
How careful are you about not letting the barrel heat up?  My 16" HBAR and my 20" barrels will heat up quite a bit depending on the firing rate/outside temp/etc.  When I originally started shooting, I was told that a good general rule was to not let your barrel heat up so much that it becomes too hot to hold.  I realize that people who aggressively clean the barrel end up causing more wear than from bullets, but I would like to know your thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was told that a good general rule was to not let your barrel heat up so much that it becomes too hot to hold.
View Quote

I am going to assume that neither of your ARs have match barrels on them.  If that is the case then you can ignore your "rule of thumb".  I have never shot any AR that I own and not had the barrel become to hot to hold during a range session.  All of my barrels have chrome lined bores and chambers. I have one upper with over 16,000 rounds through it that will still shoot a 6" group are 100 yards from a rest. I generally shoot 90 rounds in the course of an hour when at the 100 or 200 yard firing lines, that time includes setting up targets.

The Azalin
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top