Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/31/2003 7:39:19 PM EDT
How careful are you about not letting the barrel heat up? My 16" HBAR and my 20" barrels will heat up quite a bit depending on the firing rate/outside temp/etc. When I originally started shooting, I was told that a good general rule was to not let your barrel heat up so much that it becomes too hot to hold. I realize that people who aggressively clean the barrel end up causing more wear than from bullets, but I would like to know your thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 7:07:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By C-4: I was told that a good general rule was to not let your barrel heat up so much that it becomes too hot to hold.
View Quote
I am going to assume that neither of your ARs have match barrels on them. If that is the case then you can ignore your "rule of thumb". I have never shot any AR that I own and not had the barrel become to hot to hold during a range session. All of my barrels have chrome lined bores and chambers. I have one upper with over 16,000 rounds through it that will still shoot a 6" group are 100 yards from a rest. I generally shoot 90 rounds in the course of an hour when at the 100 or 200 yard firing lines, that time includes setting up targets. The Azalin
Top Top