User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2003 10:57:08 AM EDT
What do you think of this ammo?
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Though I haven't shot any yet, from what little I've been able to find on this site seems to suggest that it's pretty good stuff. Hopefully, some of the gurus will come along and spill the ditty. I just ordered a couple of cases myself from Sportsman's Guide yesterday. I'm hoping it'll run alright through my M4gery. We'll see...  
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
A forum search will yield a lot of reading on the subject.

It is clean, accurate and reliable in my 20 inch Colt. When it was widely available a year or 2 back, there were some reports of failure to extract in 16 inch and shorter rifles. IIRC, the rims would tear off. It chronographs about 100 fps below M855 spec.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#3]
bigdb1, do you remember as to why the shortys were having particular problems? Unless I'm missing something here, there shouldn't be that much difference in the cycling rate between the two, especially not enough for the M4gerys to rip case rims off (or at least I do not remember reading anything that touched on that in the manuals).

From what info I have come across regarding SB SS109 it seems that, like you mentioned, the velocity is actually a bit slower. Still, certainly not enough to increase operating velocity to the point where ripped case rims become an issue.

Hmmm, I'll have to keep an eye out for that, though.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
From the number of reports, it was/is a rare occurrence. If every 16 inch had a problem, the board would have been flooded.

I am not an armorer, but I would guess that the port pressure, chamber pressure and bolt speed all change as barrel length gets shorter.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Fired 800 rounds of this ammo through a 16" in a single day without even one bobble.  Good stuff in my experience. I suspect most of the problems attributed to the ammo are actually from too tight, non-chrome-lined chambers where the higher pressure NATO stuff choked the gun.

Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Is $320/shipped a decent price for 2000-rds of this stuff? Should I buy more?
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]
That's a fair price, but a lot of ammo for something you haven't tried yet. As a coincidence there is a report of failure to extract on the board right now in the "SG/Santa Barbara 223 test" thread. Seems the rims are ripping off in a Bushmaster M4 and a Mini 14.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=167758[/url]

I'd test a little of it before I bought a pallet...
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought some of this ammo several years ago from a local shop. It is reasonably clean and accurate.

It would constantly jam my Mini 14 with failures to extract. It wouldn't completely rip through the rim. It would just tear through the inside edge of the rim so the extractor couldn't get a grip on it. I put it in a corner somewhere and forgot about it.

I just  pulled out a box yesterday to run through my Bushmaster M4 clone. I experienced the exact same failure. Perhaps I just got a bad lot. I won't buy any more though. I assumed the Spanish dumped it because it was bad ammo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:57:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I was out shooting this load on Labor Day and put four rounds into 0.25" at 100yds before user error opened the group up to 1.5" from edge to edge.

If anybody here wants to get rid of their SB SS109, drop me an IM.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#10]
i bought 800rds of it to try a while ago.
last saturday i went through 500 of it w/ my RRA midlength. zero problems with it.  clean, and accurate(although IM not very accurate...yet).   not a bad price either.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#11]
No problems here with the SB stuff in my 7.5", 11.5" and 20".
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought some Spanish SS109 and shot some last week.  Seems on par with South African .223.  I was happy with 7.62 Portugese and Spain is right next door so that makes sense doesn't it?

I had about 500 rnds. of Greek Olympic and that was a waste.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top