Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2003 12:45:56 PM EDT
I just shot 500 rounds of the Wolf 55grain HP and had no problem.
I did notice that the product (or at least my lot) was made in 03.
BTW there was NO trace of any red flecks(although I never got them before with the regular stuff). Loads seemed pretty consistant. I have zero complaints.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I was wondering if you had any problems from the lacquer coating on the rounds, I saw a disclaimer on the Olympic Arms (HA HA) site saying the stuff melting in the chamber was jamming their guns.. I have shot Wolf and barnaul with no problems or signs of build up as yet , then again I shoot colts and bushmasters. But any other feedback is appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#3]
This is my experience with Wolf ammo a few years ago:  

I rapidly fired my AR using Wolf ammo till it was good and hot, inserted a fresh magazine and loaded a round in the chamber. As it was fresh mag and I was not firing, I put my AR on safety and  then waited a good spell which allowed the chamber to cool and I concluded this caused the round to adhere to the chamber walls.  I then fired this round which had heated and cooled and instead of an extraction, the extractor pulled the rim off the cartridge where the extractor contacts the cartridge. I then needed a cleaning rod and several forceful taps to remove the spent shell from the chamber.   I repeated this for educational purposes and have never bought Wolf ammo for an AR since.  BTW cleaning the chamber after rapid firing lacquered ammo isn't fun at all.

Note the upper that I was using was of unknown manufacture. Although it shot standard brass cased ammo very well the chamber may have been rough which I can only assume would have intensified the adhesion of the shell to the chamber walls. I have since discarded the unknown upper and have not tried Wolf in my new Bushmaster. To me, it's not worth the time or energy to save a cent or two per round.

Some people discredit the steel casing itself as the culprit. I don't think it is so much the steel shell as it is the necessary lacquer which gums up the chamber and causes stress on the extractor etc which can lead to failure to extract or parts breakage....But once again, under rapid fire conditions and pausing with a round in the chamber long enough to allow the weapon to cool.  My Brother and Cousin both shot a bunch of Wolf 223 and didn't experience this phenomenon, but they also shoot a bit more conservatively than I do.

As a note: I do use Wolf ammo...In an SKS or AK in 7.62 X 39, Wolf seems to be very good due to the forgiving tolerances of such weapons and the fact that I shoot them dry without leaving a round in the chamber. Like a cutting torch, burn baby, burn!

Sly

"A miss, no matter how close, is as good as a mile"
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot well over 1000 rounds of Wolf in my AR and havn't had any problems yet.  It's very dirty ammo and I always give it a good cleaning afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I can see I'm going to have to revive this post:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=150746&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Did it still smell like cat urine?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can see I'm going to have to revive this post:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=150746&w=searchPop[/url]
View Quote

LMAO! Thanks for digging that back up. I was just thinking about that post a few days ago and it's just as hilarious now as it was the first time I saw it.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
i have shot 8000 rounds of wolf through my bushmaster with no problems THEN it happened, the dredded stuck case,lol.
it was a 95 degree day and the ammo was the last of the 8th case i had, it was in a ammo can and hot. anyway, i got the stuck case and came home, i carefully knocked the case out with a cleaning rod and looked in the chamber. there was a white powder on the chamber walls, dont know what it was but the powder wiped right off. the chamber was cleaned before the trip so it was clean, the powder wasnt normal fouling color, very strange. has anyone seen the white powder before? i have shot new wolf with no problems.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i have shot 8000 rounds of wolf through my bushmaster with no problems THEN it happened, the dredded stuck case,lol.
it was a 95 degree day and the ammo was the last of the 8th case i had, it was in a ammo can and hot. anyway, i got the stuck case and came home, i carefully knocked the case out with a cleaning rod and looked in the chamber. there was a white powder on the chamber walls, dont know what it was but the powder wiped right off. the chamber was cleaned before the trip so it was clean, the powder wasnt normal fouling color, very strange. has anyone seen the white powder before? i have shot new wolf with no problems.
View Quote

IIRC there was another post that also mentioned the occurence. And I think the final conclusion was that it could have been some tyoe of cleaning agent or maze to clean the cases that may have accidentally gotten loaded  into the round.

On another note, I have shot close to 5K of Wolf and the only problem I have experianced from this ammo came from the orginal ammo with red coating. The new stuff seems to be of better quality.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]
most of what i shot was all the old stuff with the red sealant, i never had a problem with it.
i have been through 2 more cases of wolf with no problems, all rounds have been through the one rifle.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:13:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Here we go again with the great Wolf debate.  I think the poll that showed 83% of the people that have tried Wolf had no problems at all showed the truth once and for all.  Wish I could find that post.  It should have been Tacked up at the top of this forum.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:23:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I have about 4000 rounds of the old wolf thru my bushmaster with no problems.  I just tried the newer HP ammo.  I have never had any problem with the lacquer coating....ever.  
Wonder how all those AKs keep from melting the lacquer[;D]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#14]
The 4 or 5 thousand rounds I've fired have worked fine for me.

FWIW, I've tried to melt the lacquer on an empty case with a torch and wasn't able to.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here we go again with the great Wolf debate.  I think the poll that showed 83% of the people that have tried Wolf had no problems at all showed the truth once and for all.  Wish I could find that post.  It should have been Tacked up at the top of this forum.
View Quote

Saying "the truth" another way, 17% of the people who tried Wolf had problems.  This means that if these figures are on the mark around 1 in every 6 people will have issues with Wolf.

How do you think an automobile on the market would do if 17% of the people who drove it had reliability problems of one sort or another?  If this is your standard for reliability... well... no thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I would rather throw rocks down range while yelling Bang..Bang..Bang than shoot Wolf again.

I gave it an honest 1000 round try and found it lacking in reliabilty, accuracy, and flash (Flash is misleading, actually flamming chunks orf unburned powder).
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#17]
My ASA upper didn't like it, but here again it WAS an ASA...  I shot some through a regular JT upper and it did ok, but I stick with SA now (atleast as long as my supply holds out....)
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#18]
You won't catch me using Wolf in an AR either. If others wish to, well, that's their business. Now if it's a commie AK/SKS, I have no problem using Wolf in those, as those weapons were designed to use ammunition such as that. My AR wasn't. So for the AR's the cheapest food I feed them is US M193 spec ammo.

-Charging Handle
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top