Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 5:16:16 AM EDT
I am looking for hollow point or ballistic tip ammo for my AR, but all I have found so far is about .75 a round.  I love the performance of the Hornady TAP, and that's what I will have in my house gun and my long range rifle but damn it gets expensive----anybody make a cheaper alternative to regular surplus ball ammo???
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking for hollow point or ballistic tip ammo for my AR, but all I have found so far is about .75 a round.  I love the performance of the Hornady TAP, and that's what I will have in my house gun and my long range rifle but damn it gets expensive----anybody make a cheaper alternative to regular surplus ball ammo???
View Quote

Not that it performs even close to Hornady TAP, but, there is Silver Bear 62grn Hollow Points (or Soft Points).
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Black Hills 75gr Match.  Same bullet as the Hornady TAP, very low flash, much cheaper.

Cost is $18 per 50 rounds of Blue Box, so its around $0.36 per round.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I second Forest's recommendation. The Black Hills 75 gr is very good ammo and also very reasonably priced considering it's capabilities. I would avoid the Ballistic Tips in .223 IMHO. They often underpenetrate and are far less capable than the 75 gr OTM for defensive applications.

-Charging Handle
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top