Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2003 7:34:03 PM EDT
My wife just brought me a letter.   She asked, "Did you just order something for $1200?"  I looked at the letter - it was confirming my online order from Sportsman's Guide for 3 2700rd tubs of SA surplus.  $1142. (I wish I had known they were going to do that beforehand!) - and said yes and that it was ammo.  And that it was a good deal.  She said, "Oh."  I told her they would break it down to four payments.  She said, "That's nice."

I like that about SG.  They know how to help our wives deal with our large ammo buys.

But I have been wondering about the Winchester deal at BPS.  It's about $105 more and I don't get to split the payment into four parts. I also have to make a two hour round trip to pick it up.  But then at some point I would like to reload and it sure would be great to have all that nice brass.

Any thoughts?

[Edited to add] I have not confirmed that Orlando actually has Q3131A ...  If it is plain Winchester white box, then that would make quite a difference, correct?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The SA battlepacks at that price (they raised it from a few months ago) isn't that great of a deal for surplus ammo. It's cheaper than new production ammo, but unless there's a compelling reason, you should probably cancel unless you really need 8100 rounds of ammo ASAP.

I'd buy Q3131A whenever it's available for a good price, like at BPS if you can still get it for that price. Buy 2 cases and wait. Another sale, another case. And the wife will be much happier, especially if she doesn't find out about the little purchases you make here and there.

The SA battlepacks are a deal if you can get them for $130 or less, but $140 is close to pushing into new production Q3131A territory.

Just my opinion of course. My advice may be tainted by the fact that I'm jealous and I don't want you to get all that ammo. [}:D]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The SA battlepacks are a deal if you can get them for $130 or less, but $140 is close to pushing into new production Q3131A territory.

Just my opinion of course. My advice may be tainted by the fact that I'm jealous and I don't want you to get all that ammo. [}:D]
View Quote

In my neck of the woods I normally have to pay around $200 for Q, so the difference is pretty substantial.  But with the sale it is $155 w/tax, so that puts it in the running.

And hey, thanks for being an honest little devil.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I hate you.
View Quote

Naw, don't hate me ...  Feel sorry for me.   Just think about the hernia I may get lugging all that ammo around....
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#5]
You know, the newer SA stuff is Boxer primed, and is therefore reloadable.  I just got 990 rounds from Cole Distributing and it's Boxer, not Berdan.  I swear I saw a thread around here somewhere that said the brass was actually pretty decent.  

FWIW:[img]http://www.coledistributing.com/pics/sa223.jpg[/img]

"M-193, 55 gr.990 rnds. FMJ This is true South African Military ammo not commercial, not to be confused with other South African being offered.Non Corrosive, boxer primed and brass cased.This ammo has the flash retardent in the powder,manufactured by the Denel Group, South Africas prime Government contractors.Price does not include shipping.  
 #SAF01...$149.95"

With shipping, the total was $164.  16.5 cents/round.  They also sell it by the tub, but I don't know what the tub price was.  I know it was less than $400.  Maybe not as cheap as Sportsman's Guide, but it's in stock.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You know, the newer SA stuff is Boxer primed, and is therefore reloadable.  I just got 990 rounds from Cole Distributing and it's Boxer, not Berdan.  I swear I saw a thread around here somewhere that said the brass was actually pretty decent.  
View Quote

Thanks for the heads-up and I will go and check out Cole.  SG website says what they have is Berdan primed.  They might be using old information, or it may just be more of the older surplus ammo that they are getting and selling.

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Absolutely.  I picked up the SA from Cole's so I wouldn't burn through my M193 at the range.  It's plinking ammo, and if the brass is reloadable, that's just a bonus.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#9]
And, Yes the ammo in Orlando is 5.56 Q3131A.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And, Yes the ammo in Orlando is 5.56 Q3131A.
View Quote

Hell yeah it is ,I'm looking at 2,000 rounds right now!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Q3131A for sure in Orlando.  

I bought a bunch.  I also applied for the Bass Pro Shop credit card and they took ANOTHER 10% off!  And they give you BONUS POINTS on top of that.

That is $138 per thousand including tax!

That is CHEAPER than Sportsman's Guide is selling 20 year old South African surplus.

Now all I have to do is cancel my SG order.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#12]
HEey guy's were the hell in o town are y"all getting the winny ammo.That's were i live.thanx
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
HEey guy's were the hell in o town are y"all getting the winny ammo.That's were i live.thanx
View Quote

Bass Pro Shop
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Consider yourself lucky. The BPS in Atlanta limits you to 10 boxes per visit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got a case of Q3131A from Bass Pro in Arundel Mills in Maryland(near Glen Burnie)for 144.00 before tax! Regular price is 199.50 a case.

Their sale is on until this Sunday (24th),and I don't know when the next sale is. I found out about this one by accident.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top