Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/11/2003 6:43:04 AM EDT
I have a postban bushmaster M4 profile carbine with the 14.5" barrel and mini-y comp(I'll never buy another comped AR). I wanted to hear from any ammo gurus or anyone with the same or similar config on what ammo they have found to be the most accurate. I do realize that the shorter barrel is not as inherently accurate as a 20" or 24" barrel. Your input/opinions are most appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:59:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 1:09:48 PM EDT
The two favorite rounds for accuracy in the 1:9 twist Bushmasters are the 69gr SMK OTM and the 68gr OTM. Both are loaded by Black Hills (Federal also loads the 69gr SMK). I've never had good results with the 69gr SMK in my Bushmasters; but I've found the 68gr Black Hills load to be very accurate (and they are cheaper to boot!). Your rifle may be different - give them both a try.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 1:57:26 AM EDT
People often report excellent accuracy with the Black Hills 52 gr BTHP's as well. If you want good accuracy on a limited budget, many find the Santa Barbara SS109 very good. Like Troy said, just play around with some different ammo until you find something your rifle likes. Guns are the same with ammo as we are with food. Some of us like pizza best while some prefer chicken. Guns are the same way with ammo. You may have a rifle that doesn't perform very well with an expensive match load that will shoot cheap PMC FMJ in tight groups. Experimentation is the only way to know for sure. Have fun! -Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:05:49 AM EDT
For Ball Type Santa Barbra ss109 is pretty darn good
Top Top