Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2003 11:06:10 PM EDT
Recently I got put some Wolf 55 grain fmj through my DPMS 16' bull with exceptable accuracy.   At 70 yards or so I can nail a dime pretty regularly.
I want to buy some cheap Wolf ammo in bulk and my gut feeling tells me to buy the 55 grain fmj only because it's the only Wolf round I've fired through my AR.  I'm wondering if the 55 grain jhp or the 62 grain fmj would shoot better in my rifle?

If anyone has 1st hand experience please help me out..thx
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:26:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I can tell you know that everyone here will tell you; buy a couple boxes of both and try them in YOUR gun.  I tried Wolf 55 gr. in my ar and it jammed every few rounds, no problem with any other ammo.  After all it's not like the stuff's gonna set you back much dough.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 3:51:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Recently I got put some Wolf 55 grain fmj through my DPMS 16' bull with exceptable accuracy.   At 70 yards or so I can nail a dime pretty regularly.
I want to buy some cheap Wolf ammo in bulk and my gut feeling tells me to buy the 55 grain fmj only because it's the only Wolf round I've fired through my AR.  I'm wondering if the 55 grain jhp or the 62 grain fmj would shoot better in my rifle?

View Quote

Make sure you purchase the newer Wolf ammo WITHOUT the red sealant around the neck.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm wondering if the 55 grain jhp or the 62 grain fmj would shoot better in my rifle?

View Quote

I tried both in my Oly and found the 62gr to have a slight edge in accuracy (OK, smaller spread).  YMMV.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I buy the 62 grain because you don't have to pry the rounds out of the little plastic holder like you do with the 55 grain wolf.

I hate having to do the ice cube tray flex to get the 55's free. For me both are about the same accuracy, 62 might be a little more accurate.

I noticed on the newer 62 grain wolf there is no longer a crimp ring on the bullet. So seating variance is not as easy to spot, though I think they just droped the crimp ring to save production cost.

With a stable setup you can expect Wolf to shoot under 3 moa, Lake City under 2 moa, and Federal match under 1 moa.

That's what I get when I'm not to caffinated, somedays though it's Wolf 12 moa, Lake City 6 moa, and I just don't shoot the Federal on bad days.

YMMV.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top