Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/29/2003 1:09:16 PM EDT
So I was at the funshow a while back and a guy was selling 1,000 rounds of "Lake City", loose, in an ammocan. I specifically asked if it was reloaded L.C. brass, and he said no, it was new manufacture, and said something about it being de-linked 5.56. So for $165, I bought it.

I've been having problems with it, and I always attributed it to the rifle. Never occurred to me that it could be the ammo. But I shot off about 90 rounds the other day, and had at least 6 blown primers. And lo and behold, once I started paying attention, the jams I was having were due to the primers getting into the locking lugs, etc.

So has anyone heard of L.C. having a problem like this, or did I just get fucked at the funshow with reloads? I know L.C. has crimped primers, so is there a way to tell by looking at the cases without primers whether the primer pocket has been de-crimped?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:14:19 PM EDT
There's a guy on here who was shooting the LC thru his DCM rifle that was having the same prob. Apparently Military ammo is too hot for DCM chambered weapons.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:36:12 PM EDT
Were the headstamps on the brass consistent as to year? If you have mixed headstamps there is a good likelihood it is reloaded ammo. Check the primer pockets too - see if the crimp was removed. That is a dead giveaway with reloaded military ammo. If not reloads - what rifle were you shooting it in? What was the outside temperature? Was the ammo out in the sun or in the trunk of a hot car before you shot it? Hot ammo (temperature wise) can develop high pressure quickly. You may also want to have the headspace on your rifle checked to insure that is not be part of the problem. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 4:59:22 PM EDT
If it is Lake City ammo and if you are firing it through a mil-spec chamber, it shouldn't be doing this unless it is a very out of spec batch of ammo. Is your rifle set up to use commercial ammo or military ammo which is usually loaded much hotter? If you are firing this in a tighter commercial spec chamber then such problems occur frequently with hot ammo. -Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:55:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:14:39 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies thus far. Temperature wise, nothing unusual about the day I was at the range - it was probably in the low 70's, and the ammo wasn't baking in the sun. The gun was a pre-ban Oly CAR. I don't know what chamber it has, although the receiver is marked ".223/5.56". I wasn't having extraction problems, so it wasn't like the case was jammed in the chamber. And, Troy, I checked out the ammo. It's all '98 headstamps. I couldn't see any extractor or ejector marks on the unfired rounds, and it [i]looks[/i] like Lake City - annealed neck, all dirty, etc. And, here's the kicker, the primers have the red sealant around them and I pulled a bullet - it's got the tar-like sealant as well. [?]
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:00:50 PM EDT
I am almost positive that the pre-ban Olympic Arms AR's have a commercial chamber. In fact, I think they just started producing rifles with 5.56mm chambers a year or two ago. So that is most likely your problem. If you could fire some of this ammo in a Colt or Bushmaster which does have a 5.56 chamber, you could find out pretty quickly if it's the ammo or the rifle. Also, it sounds like you have some surplus Lake City that someone picked up back when it was still made available to the public. It was probably loaded by Winchester at the time, since I think they were running the Lake City plant in 1998. -Charging Handle
Top Top