Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2003 7:01:16 AM EDT
I recently purchased several boxes of 124 gr Speer Gold Dot ammo. Upon recieving them I saw a sticker on the box that says "Reclassified - Not for law enforcement use"
Is there something wrong with this ammo? I bought it for a carry gun and don't want it if there is a problem with it. The advertisement said nothing concerning this "Reclassification".
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#1]
This is ammo that had problems with a bad batch of primers that sometimes would not reliably ignite. Speer found out about the problem and the ammo was recalled. It was then re-packaged  and sold at a reduced price with that warning attached. While most of it will probably shoot just fine, I wouldn't use it for anything other than range/practice ammo. Buy new Speer for self defense or police work. But you can keep this ammo for use with realistic training since it will generate the same levels of recoil and shoot to the same POI.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I've just finished off my second box of SGD's with no issues.  The primer issue is correct, they were recalled due to primers.  I don't use them for carry, but they're great for range time.  Use and enjoy!

Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought 50 boxes at $5 each when they first came out with the stickers as nobody wanted them.  Have gone thru 25 boxes and not one single failure.  Just wish I had bought more but that was all the cash I had left that day.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive also gone through about 2k of this ammo: not a single failure. One thing I did notice, however, is that A)it leaves quit a bit of unburnt powder in the action, and B)it leaves residue in the barrel that turns green after, oh, 24+ hours (copper right?)

I clean accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The primer issue is not correct, I sent back a bunch of it from my department.  The problem was NOT that the primers would not fire.  The problem was that there was a specific primer that was spec for those rounds.  Someone swapped a different primer in and didn't think it was an issue.  When Speer found they were using the wrong primers, they initiated a recall of all the ammo because it wasn't up to spec.

It can not be sold to Departments because it doesn't meet the testing criteria.  When a departments tests ammo, they make their buy and stay with it until they retest.  They have to be able to testify in court as to the ammunition that is being used in shootings.  They can't do this if there are any changes to the ammo.  

Speer made a mistake, and they fessed up to it.  That doesn't make the ammo bad, it just makes it unsuitable for LE because of a technicality.

Hope this helps, this question seems to come up quite a bit.  If I still had all my ammo recall paperwork I would scan and post it, but I don't think I do anymore.  If anyone has a huge interest, I can check my range locker and see.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Above quote is correct, and it was for the NYPD if I remember correctly. They called for a specific primer, and it was not used. Gander has a smokin deal on this stuff in 250 round bulk packs, $40 for 9mm, $50 for .40 S&W. Can't beat that!
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Numerous people who contacted Speer directly were told there were problems with the nickle plating and bad primers. It is not just an administrative issue. I contacted Speer myself and was told the same thing and that the ammo was resold to dealers at a substantial discount, after being marked "reclassified."

If the primer cup has the letter "A" stamped on it, then it's been replaced by Speer.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[red]The primer issue is not correct,[/red] I sent back a bunch of it from my department.  The problem was NOT that the primers would not fire.  The problem was that there was a specific primer that was spec for those rounds.  Someone swapped a different primer in and didn't think it was an issue.  When Speer found they were using the wrong primers, they initiated a recall of all the ammo because it wasn't up to spec.
View Quote

In my neck of the woods that's a primer issue. [:D]

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#9]
bvmjethead

Point well taken, it IS a primer issue, just not a bad primer one.

Speer considers the primers bad because they were the wrong ones.  I've never heard of the nickle issue, I would be curious to see pics of any problems in that regard.  Speer isn't going to tell people that the ammo is good, they can't after they pulled it (liablity).  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top