Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2003 10:40:59 AM EDT
I just bought 2 boxes of Winchester White Box ammo. one, the 5.56, Q3131A for my 1x12 twist SP1 upper and a box of the 223 REM 62gr. for my Pre-ban Bushmaster DCM 1x8 upper.
The store owner assured me that the 5.56 would work just fine in what I described as "a SAMMI chambered, target rifle" I don't want to chance a KABOOM.
None the less he said it would be no problem.  Does he know something I don't?  Admittedly, all I "know" is what I've read here-a-bouts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say you probably made a wise decision. While I agree with Troy that the gun probably wouldn't blow up, chances are the mil-spec loads wouldn't function well in the DCM rifle. Never allow a gun store owner to push anything on you if you feel he/she is wrong. All of them are not experts. Again, you did good.

Should you want a load for the SAAMI chambered gun that offers good terminal performance and accuracy, yet will not have the problems of mil-spec loads, then try the 68-77 gr OTM loads from Black Hills and Federal. Out of those my favorites are the Black Hills 75 and 68 gr versions. Experiment and see which your rifle likes best.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Can I see somewhere the difference between 5.56mm and 223. The cases are the same from what I am told (and some say the 223 cases is thicker?. All I can truly understand is the 5.56mm Mil throat is longer?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I am new to 5.56 and .223 and I have learned a heck of a lot on this site and I am amazed the lack of knowledge gun store owners have. I can understand their part-time employees being clueless but the owners are just as bad.

You posted a very good question.

Steve
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Eye ball'n them side by side, the 55gr 5.56 appears to have a longer OAL than the 223 62gr cartridge!

The cases look to be the same length, but I can see how the greater length of the 5.56, even with a smaller pill, might "jam" in a shorter throat.  Add to that a higher pressure load -- it's a combination I don't want to play with.

I'm in the process of ordering some 69gr Sierras
to load for the DCM.

Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can I see somewhere the difference between 5.56mm and 223. The cases are the same from what I am told (and some say the 223 cases is thicker?. All I can truly understand is the 5.56mm Mil throat is longer?
View Quote

The throat is longer and the round itself is loaded hotter. When this hotter round is chambered in a tight match SAAMI chamber, that's where the increased pressures can cause problems with extraction.

For a more in-depth report on the differences, read this: [url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, so are ASA chambers .223 or 5.56.  I bought an ASA upper w wilson barrel and later sold it to a buddy (really cheap!)  He hasn't gotten a lower yet, but I told him I had a bunch of FTE, but all I've tried shooting out of it is the wolf and 5.56 South African ammo.  Think that might be the problem?
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I already got rid of it, but now my buddy's got it.  I very clearly explained the FTE's that I kept having problems with, but he figured as cheap as I sold it to him, he could put some money into getting it fixed.  Now the question is, what is involved in reaming out his chamber to a true 5.56 chamber (don't know if it's too tight, too rough or both, but I figure reaming it with a 5.56 reamer should fix it, right?  How do you use these reamers, I've seen them for rent on this site?  How do you know how far to ream, and how do you keep it where it needs to be (keep it dead center on the bore)?  I'm just taking a shot in the dark here, he hasn't gotten a lower yet to put the upper on, but I figure he'll have the same problems I did.  I knew I could PROBABLY fix it, but would rater put my cash in a J&T
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 4:39:34 AM EDT
[#11]
He got his lower yesterday.  I'm gonna help him get the innnards in and then were gonnna clean it well, and take it out with some Winchester .223 USA ammo he got a Wal Mart's (yeah I know saying wal mart in the possesive case is annoying, ain't it?).  Just think, I finally get rid of this ASA piece of crap, and now I still get to work on it.  Oh well, cheap as I sold it to him, he can go buy a Bushy Chrome lined barrel and still have $50 less than a quality kit would have cost him...  Thanks for the response.  We'll see how she acts today and then I'll probably be giving him Kurts contact info....
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top