Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2003 4:52:57 PM EDT
I bought a bunch of different .223 Ammo today.  I'm looking for a good varmint round that will make the woodchucks explode.  I know of computer programs that will calculate bullet rise and drop if you product the ballistic coefficient and stuff like that.

I bought Winchester Supreme .223 with a 40gr bullet and ballistic silvertip.  Will my 1x9" 16" barrel stabilize those light bullets?

I also got some Federal Premium 55gr Sierra Gameking BTHP

And finally, some Black Hills V-Max with a 50 gr bullet.  I suspect that will do fine in my 1x9 barrel.  But Black Hills does not supply any ballistics data on their web page.  Anyone know a source?  Thanks!

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought Winchester Supreme .223 with a 40gr bullet and ballistic silvertip.  Will my 1x9" 16" barrel stabilize those light bullets?
View Quote

Yes. And I would probably stick with this stuff for the smaller varmints.

I also got some Federal Premium 55gr Sierra Gameking BTHP.
View Quote

This is my choice in a varmint round, as I tend to go after the slightly larger stuff such as coyotes. It offers pretty good performance and accuracy.

And finally, some Black Hills V-Max with a 50 gr bullet.  I suspect that will do fine in my 1x9 barrel.  But Black Hills does not supply any ballistics data on their web page.  Anyone know a source?  Thanks!
View Quote

This may me one of the best do everything varmint loads out there. It is also usually exceptionally accurate. Yes, it should shoot fine in a 1/9 twist so long as your particular rifle likes the load. Sorry, don't have any ballistic data for this round.

-Charging Handle
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top