Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/5/2003 1:30:22 PM EDT
I usually use Federal Gold Match 168gr HP .308 and I can get 1" MOA or less when using it with my Ruger M77.
I decided to try some NEW manufactured Black Hills Match 168gr HP and ordered a few boxes as Black Hills is supposed to be quality ammo. I beg to differ.
I opened up the boxes and noticed a difference in the ammo I recieved than with the other HP .308 I usually use. The Black Hills hollow-point was jagged or angled cut on most rounds and half the rounds were plugged up with a small, hard granual and not actually hollow at the tip.
I didn't know if this was normal with Black Hills, but never saw such hollow points before so I went on and tried it out at 100yards.
I use those 2" Shoot-N-C targets and with the Federal Match I hardly ever miss that 2" circle at 100yards. With the Black Hills, I was lucky to get 2 out of 5 shots into the 2" circle. I had 5 rounds of Federal Match .308 and with no problem, put all 5 rounds into the little 2" circle which actually grouped out at 3/4"MOA.
I tried re-adjusting my scope for the Black Hills, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get a decent and consistant group with the BH ammo.

I didn't have one with me, but if I did, I would of taken a smooth file and filed down the bullet tip a bit on all the rounds to see if that helped.

I've tried Winchester, Remington and Hornandy .308 in the past along with Federal and all of them gave me fair to decent results.
Black Hills is supposed to be a professional grade of ammo. What gives? A bad batch of ammo or a brand of ammo which just happens not to work for me or my rifle?

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say your rifle just does not like that ammo.

One of my "match" rifles loves the stuff, another won't shoot it for crap and only likes Hirtenberger match.  You just never know what they will like.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#2]
It works for me - half MOA out of my 700 Varmint.  I belive the 'plug' in the HP is tumbling media.  No idea if it afffects the accuracy, but I never bothered to clean it out.

Their 77gr .223 is also the best load out of my AR/SPR, but their 75 gr .223 is like throwing rocks out of the same rifle.  I blame the barrel, as 75 gr TAP groups poorly as well.

Try it in another rifle and see if it is any better.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#3]
My PSS eats Black Hills 168 grain and spits out 3/4 MOA groups.  I'm lucky to get 1 MOA with Federal Gold Match.  Just because your rifle doesn't like a certain ammo doesn't make that ammo bad, it just makes it bad for that rifle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My PSS eats Black Hills 168 grain and spits out 3/4 MOA groups.  I'm lucky to get 1 MOA with Federal Gold Match.  Just because your rifle doesn't like a certain ammo doesn't make that ammo bad, it just makes it bad for that rifle.
View Quote

EXACTLY!
My PSS loves Black Hills and LC M118...I can't shoot groups with many other types of ammo. I've heard a lot of people hate M118 but my rifle does the best groups w/ it...go figure.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:42:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:45:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:59:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have 2 Rem 700's that shoot the BH into .75 and .5" groups respectively (5 shots) at 200 yds.
The worst groups have come from one of my M1A around 1.5" at 200 yds which is still pretty good with an M1A.
Rifles are finicky sometimes. Did you try both the 168 and 175 gr loadings?
Tommy
GPSS
View Quote

I have only used the 168gr. I have used several brands of .308; Federal, Winchester, Remington, Hornady and even surplus SA 7.62 and all of them gave me decent results, Federal giving me the best results.
But for some reason when I tried out the Black Hills, it resulted in inconsistent groups.  I first gave the benefit of the doubt that maybe it was me having a bad day, but when I took a few rounds of Federal that same day just to see if there was a difference, the Federal ammo performed excellent.

It baffles me that Black Hills which performs so well for everyone else is the only brand that doesn't work for me. I still have a couple boxes left, so I will try them again.

I was looking for some type of Lot or Batch number on the boxes to see if I can compare one box of BH from another. Is there any way to find out?

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[ It baffles me that Black Hills which performs so well for everyone else is the only brand that doesn't work for me. I still have a couple boxes left, so I will try them again.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
View Quote

Just this past weeekend, a buddy of mine and myself went out to shoot some BH 168gr out of the supply we received from GP.

I was shooting my 700P, and my buddy was shooting his 700 LTR.  I had used the BH 168 before, so I knew it was good in my rifle, but we never had tried it in my friend's LTR.

We had opposite findings with the BH 168 between our rifles.  At 100 yards the BH ammo cut a 1/4" off my groupings compared to the Fed match.  And for my buddy's LTR it added a 1/4" to his groupings compared to the Fed match.

Go figure, different rifles, and even the same type rifles, can tend to have different preferences when it comes to ammo.  That's one of the reasons why reloading is so beneficial.

My buddy and I were shooting practically identical groupings all day at 100-300 yards, but with him using Fed, and me using the BH.

Just use what works best for you.  I traded my buddy what Federal boxes I had left for his remaining BH boxes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top