Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 1:53:44 PM EDT
Guys, if the answere to this is in some other thread - I couldn't find it.

And if anybody wants to open up the discussion as to what ammo they use, why they use it, hot they get it, bla, bla, bla - that's cool too.  I almost always learn something.

BUT THIS IS MY QUESTION:

Can you guys tell me where you buy (or have seen) your Federal .223 55gr. jhp factory ammo?

I like it and out of the box it performs any other factory duty ammo I have ever shot.  I know it's pricy.  How long are you going to live?

If I'm nuts, enlighten me with some explanation.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Federal American Eagle Ammo, I use alot of it, never had anyproblems with it, I used to be able to get it really cheap, the company I work for was once part of Federal, but not anymore,  There is a add from a fellow Minnesotan: Jar_Bid  he has some of it at $85.00 per 500 in EE. otherwise I buy it from Natchez  they have it reasonable and shipping isnt too bad either
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The black hills blue box 52gr. hpbt sierra load is a good one. Georgia precision [ he advertises here ] ships it fair and it [they] treat me right.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 1:05:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Ammoman.com has the 50 grain JHP ammo for sale. I have never seen Federal 55 grain hp ammo.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are searching for the Federal Premium 55 gr BTHP marked P223E, you can get it at [url]www.natchezss.com[/url] for $11.72 per 20 round box. You can also get it at [url]www.sportsmansguide.com[/url].

You don't mention what you intend to use it for, so let me give you the ammo's pros and cons:

In it's favor is it's accuracy. It shoots well in my experience and is my standard varmint ammo for the .223 caliber. It's also readily available meaning it isn't hard to re-supply when you run out. It is also very lethal on smaller targets (let's say coyote size and under).

But it wouldn't be my first choice for use in self defense or for hunting deer. In tests it only offers about 9.5" of penetration in ballistic gel. The FBI minimum standard for penetration of their duty ammo is 12". In certain situations where you are making an angled shot which may have to pass through an arm before entering and crossing the torso to reach the vitals, this load may not be as effective as others. Granted, it would probably work well in about 90% or more of the shootings in which it is used in. But who wants to find themselves in the lower percentage of the situations in which it doesn't work? Remember, a target isn't going to stand still and offer you a straight in torso shot unless they are suicidal. So use a load capable of reaching the vitals regardless of the angle. Again, there are many loads out there such as the Hornady and Black Hills 75 gr OTM, Black Hills 68 gr OTM and the Federal and Black Hills 69 gr OTM that all offer performance equal to or better than the 55 gr BTHP. And all of those loads offer adequate penetration, something the Fed 55 gr BTHP doesn't.

So if you are seeking an accurate load for varminting or target shooting, the Fed 55 gr BTHP would be a good choice. If you are seeking a self defense load, I would choose one of the 68-77 gr OTM match loads from Black Hills or Federal. And if it's for non-varmint hunting (deer sized game) I would choose the Federal 55 or 62 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or Winchester Supreme Power Point Plus 64 gr SP's.

-Charging Handle
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top