Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/30/2003 6:26:55 PM EDT
I was up at Bulletfest with a fairly large wad of cash in my pocket. So I decide to pick up a case from one of the ammo vendors up there.

It was not a large vendor like ammuntionstore but seemed reputable with the ammount of ammo they had. So I picked up a case of Israeli manufactured 5.56. I got some information that it was manufactured for the US by Israelis to Q3131A specs.  

Well BenDover gave me and Sniper_Wolfe an SA Battlepack to shoot at Bulletfest (Thanks again BenDover YOU ROCK!) and we run through that without a hitch. Then I move on to the case, I was shooting today and had several duds. The round would chamber I would pull the trigger I'd hear a click and nothing would happen. So I ejected the round, next one chambered then no problems with the rest of the mag. Same thing happened with the next mag. So by this time I'm getting frustrated, I think I may have got a bad case of ammo. I cleaned up the rifle tonight and just tested it out 10 minutes ago and the same thing, 1 round out of a USGI 30 rounder did not fire. The primer is indented but no bang.

Hard primers or is it the guns's fault?

Thanks for any help, anyone at Bulletfest having similar problems?

The date on the headstamps aren't that old. Oldest I've seen is 82 but few are that old. Most are early 90s.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it always the first round in the mag?

Is there any possibility that the bolt isn't entirely closed before the first shot?  Try bumping the Fwd. Assist next time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad you guys enjoyed yourselves!

I would agree that if it's the first round, hit the forward assist a couple times to make sure the bolt is seated in the chamber. Inspect the firing pin as well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:00:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been thru several cases of IMI M193 Ball without a hiccup.

What rifle are you shooting?  Have you modified the trigger/hammer system?  Have you checked firing pin protrusion?

All primers are the same hardness, some have less sensitive chemical compounds inside.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#4]
It's not the first round in the mag and I have been getting into the habit of tapping on the forward assist everytime I load a mag in the rifle.

It's a Unknown manf. preban upper on a preban Eagle Arms lower.

The firing pin looks fine, it's a brand new firing pin that I put in about 400 rounds ago.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I had this problem with a brand new Bushmaster CMP rifle and 1988 US G.I. M-193ammo. The cause was a weak hammer spring that was needed with the BM 2 stage trigger. When a new G.I. hammer spring was used, the problem went away. Yours isn't BM, but the hammer spring may be weak.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Great idea!

Now I just need to pick up a set of punches, I'm clueless when it comes to the lower receiver so if I start messing with the lower I'll probably replace all of the springs (I bought the Bushy kit that has every spring in the rifle)

Just need to pick up a punch kit....

Anyone know of a good beginner set that will allow me to get to everything in the lower?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I know who you got your ammo from -- the vendor told me that he cleans the brass and they are reloaded material they are not Q3131A.[rocket]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
That's crap.... [pissed]

He made it out like it was new, said it was just mixed headstamp stuff.......

Shot fine tonight though
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Was that the $125 per 1000 rounds packed loose in ammo can ammo?

And it has mixed WCC and TZZ headstamps of various years?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#10]
It didn't come from Pat's Reloading table did it?  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:15:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Was that the $125 per 1000 rounds packed loose in ammo can ammo?

And it has mixed WCC and TZZ headstamps of various years?
View Quote

That's it, $125 out the door. I shot some last night, seemed accurate, and no duds in that mag.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:20:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I looked at some of FrankSquid's - I got the impression it was just mixed surplus, not reloads. I agree you need to look at the hammer spring though.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi guys.  I have bought similar ammo fromother sources, its mixed US and Izzy surplus M193.  Lil Ops shot up the last of it a BF, and I have had no misfires out of it.  If you chrono it, you will find it running a little slow, like 3050 FPS.  I think the ammo was not stored properly oand it got overheated or something, as the recoil and blast are weaker than new milspec.  I agree on the hammer spring.  It's OK plinking ammo, just realize it is not as accurate as the good stuff.  Ops
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#14]
A friend of mine had some of that at the last Tusco plate shoot and it was giving him a lot of problems out of his bushmaster that is always reliable. I am leary about stuff thats dumped into cans in bulk.He said he got it at Medina. Then at bulletfest. I saw it on  Pat McDonalds table. I read the sign and rembered my friend so I  bought some Silverbear instead for $115 a thousand.Its good enough for blasting steel plates and it works in my guns. If its the ammo all I can say is Mcdonald has always done me right, maybe he got a bad deal.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top