Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2003 2:41:16 PM EDT
At Bulletfest today I brought out some Silver Bear .30-06  145gr. FMJ to shoot after everything else was gone. This was to be shot in my M1 Garand and the M1 of a friend.

I have to report that it was dead nuts accurate.

I also have to say that in both rifles (both in NRA very good condition in every aspect) that recoil was very bad. Bad to the point of being excessive.  Both of us only fired off two clips, but both noted that we could almost feal the op-rod bending.

It might be good in bolt guns, but the stuff is too hot, or has a powder that not compatable for the M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the report. Just out of curiosity, at what ranges were you shooting and what was your rifle zeroed for at the time?

The powder very well could have been the problem. M1's are finicky about powder and bullet weights. Modern slow burning powders or excessively heavy bullets can throw off the op-rod and are not recommended for use in Garands.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:03:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Since I am not that good with the rifle (its me, not the rifle, I rarely shoot it) I had it set in at roughly right on at 100 yards.  Previously the best I could do was 5 inch groups with it. Others shoot 3- inch groups with the same rifle.

I was shooting at what Campybob paced out at 125 paces.  The ammo seamed to be shooting much flatter, and was right on target.  Honestly I think it was more accurate than with surplus, but the ammo was just not right for the gun.

The bullet weight was only 145 grains, so I know that was not the problem, I would bet anything that it is the powder.

I tore the rifle appart this morning. No damage appears to have been done after 16 rounds fired.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I might have to fire a few of these through a bolt action sometime. If it hits anywhere close to the same POI as 150 gr SP hunting ammo, it could be a good, low cost plinking ammo. I don't figure I will be using enough of it to cause any damage to the gun, but will still save some dollars. I imagine the steel cases would be easier on a bolty than say an AR-15. Thanks again for the info.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I have no problem running it through my P17.  I also think it would make good plinking ammo. I just won't shoot it in a gas gun again.

Upon cleaning the rifle I did not notice the ammo being as dirty as the Russian ammo tends to be either.  Maybe it was becasue I only shot 16 rounds, but regardless, it still was not that dirty.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top