Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/22/2003 9:09:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 8:01:57 AM EDT by JTinIN]
Like the .308 Federal 168 grain Gold Metal Match, however, besides a little high for plinking ammo, would like to find something that is fairly accurate in 147/150 grain bullet weight, that would work in a HK91/G3 (i.e. FMJ, very small hollow point or platic tip).

If the same ammo was not two costly, would work for having a steady supply of current (less 5 years) ~150 grain 7.62 (aka 308) ammo for use in the same HK91/G3, other wise is there any current FMJ NATO spec ammor around?

The last batch of Win "White Box" .308 FMJ is no longer marked with NATO "+"

Thanks
John
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:19:50 PM EDT
Cheap & accurate 147gr. 7.62NATO... Portugese surplus is amazing stuff. I'd rate West German surplus second only to the Port. Radway Green (in my rifles) rates third.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:18:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 5:24:25 PM EDT by JTinIN]
Like the Portugese and would be ideal if could find a match ammo that hit close to the same. Also while the Portugese works ok, had hoped to find something a little newer to switch to over for the next dozen years (besides there has to be an end in sight as no more "new" 25 year old Portugese is being made).
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:30:43 PM EDT
I have pondered this same sort of question in the past. About the best advice I can give is to buy some of the 150 gr premium loads that use the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet design, such as the Federal or Winchester versions. These offer match grade accuracy out to about 600 yards and offer better terminal performace than .308 OTM loads as well. These aren't cheap (you won't find a cheap match grade round) and cost anywhere from about $17-$20 per box. But you can always buy some cheaper commercial 150 gr FMJ loads such as the UMC for practice and save the expensive ammo for hunting or serious competition. While the cheaper FMJ ammo may not shoot to exactly the same POI as the other ammo, it should be close enough not to matter out to 100 or 200 yards, being that the bullet weight and charge is the same. -Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:32:59 AM EDT
The Aussie 308 that just hit our shores is said to be very clean and accurate. It appears the current shipment ranges from 1983 to 1993 or there abouts. Packed on stripper clips in 50 round bandoliers in 200 round cans, 4 cans to the wooden case. Mine just shipped yesterday so no first hand experience yet. Lloyd
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:58:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Westfork: The Aussie 308 that just hit our shores is said to be very clean and accurate. It appears the current shipment ranges from 1983 to 1993 or there abouts. Packed on stripper clips in 50 round bandoliers in 200 round cans, 4 cans to the wooden case. Mine just shipped yesterday so no first hand experience yet. Lloyd
View Quote
I just got home from picking up 5 cases. I haven't had a chance to try any out yet (Bulletfest this weekend!). Get it soon or miss out!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:02:52 PM EDT
Yesterday I shot a bandolier of the Aussie and compared it to some 1980 Port and 1984 South African. NICE!!! The Aussie shot slightly tighter groups than the Port and much tighter than the SA. It is going fast though. I hear Dan's is out. L.C. Military Shooters in Wisconsin still has some and their service is great. CMP bought most of it but they also have much higher prices - supposed to be on their order page in July.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:47:19 PM EDT
The Hirtenberger ammo from Austria is also very good ammo and should shoot excellent out of a G3 type rifle as it were designed to be used with Stg58's/ etc. However it too is drying up fast.
Top Top