Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/10/2003 10:56:56 PM EDT
Is PMP basically the same as the SA Battlepacks, or is it a different animal entirely?

TS
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The PMP commercial ammo with the gazelle on the box is made by the same company as the SA battle packs, but the similarities end there.

The brass used in commercial PMP is boxer primed (reloadable). The brass used in the battle packs is berdan primed (not reloadable).

The battle packs are loaded to military 5.56x45mm velocities (~3200 fps from 20" barrel).  The commercial PMP is not as hot (loaded more like other .223 Rem commercial ammo).

I should also add that, unless you really want brass to reload, buy the battle packs.  It is the best blasting ammo ever. (IMHO)
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I should also add that, unless you really want brass to reload, buy the battle packs.  It is the best blasting ammo ever. (IMHO)
View Quote

It should be noted, too, that the PMP brass is very good brass for reloading, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The PMP is good ammo; but loaded to .223 spec instead of 193.  It has the same bullet as the 193.

It is a little slower, but it is still in the frag velocity range for the first 200 yards or thereabouts, so it's not useless by any stretch.
The difference in velocity is not as marked as in some other brands, ie Winchester, Federal.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#4]
  I own two Bushmaster rifles and I had bought a case of the PMP ammo with the gazelle on the box,  the ammo kept getting jammed, it was awful.  When I inspected these cartrides,  I found that they measured slightly longer than the Federal and PMC brands I had always used.

I am reluctant to purchase their S.A. battlepacks, I would'nt want to waste more money.  Has anyone ever experience this problem and do you know that since the battlepacks are 5.56mm for military use,  would they feed more reliable than the commercial ammo.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a problem with over length PMP commercial with a DPMS A2 rifle, I did not encounter this difficulty with the surplus battlepacks.   FYI since buying a Colt chrome chambered Hbar upper I havent had a malfunction yet even with wolf.   Well over 2500 rounds fired since I've had it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I also got FTE and jammed cartriges needing a rod to get em out.  You couldn't give me PMP free.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top