Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/7/2003 9:20:30 PM EDT
just wanted to hear opinions on the .22 caliber partition nosler came out with.
seems to me it would be a great man stopper since you get both expansion and penetration with it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
What are we talking about here, a .22LR heavy or a .223 round? I never have seen the 60 gr Partition yet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:58:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I think Troy is mistaken and is referencing the penetration for the Nosler Ballistic Tip and not the Partition.  The Partition is marketed as a deep penetrating round and I have never seen one in any caliber that did not penetrate AT LEAST 14" in animals.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you are probably correct DevL. In centerfire rifle rounds, the Nosler Partition and the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets seem to penetrate and expand about equally well in all the calibers I have seen. If the new 60 gr Partition round is on par with the TBBC 55 and 62 gr bullets, it should be a good performer.

Gootmacher, you said this round has good expansion and penetration, what do the test results look like? I am assuming you have seen or read about them somewhere. If it penetrates 12" or more and expands well, then yes, it would be an adequate defense load. It should also join the TBBC loads as good at defeating barriers as well, if it's as good as it's bigger brothers.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, these will be for a 20" AR
i have been looking for testing on the .22 cal partition but cant find any, thats why i posted the question here. i thought maybe someone has seen some testing or tested it themselves.
if the .22 cal partition works anything like the larger calibers it should be a great defense bullet, it expands only so far and retains its weight to penetrate deeply. at 2800fps it should give the 14-18 inch penetration range that the FBI states if not more.
im gonna buy a box and try them with wet newspaper to see how they work.

Im guessing that this bullet will expand reliably since i have seen numerous other calibers after they have taken game cleanly. Partitions seem to always deliver what nosler claims.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont know how the .223 compares to the 6mm Nosler Partition but the 6mm I used in my Remington 700 always had a large exit wound in local Texas white tail deer after traversing the rib cage.  A lot of fragments and small holes could be seen quite clearly once the hide was removed.  I know an animal is not a human and that 6mm is not .223 but soft point bullets can and do fragemnt in tissue.  But Troy is correct in stating it wont be as effective as one of the fragmenting bullets, provided its within the range of fragmentation AND has enough tissue to pass through before it exits to allow yaw/fragmentation.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top