BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I wasnt trying to flame you DARTH, im pro wolf all the way, my post was to let people know that it does happen.
I put the case that stuck under a microscope and found that the laquer around the shoulder was scraped off, i think that is why it stuck. I figure that this happened on previous rounds that day and the white powder was the laquer that eventually built up and cause the stuck case. maybe the temp of the ammo had something to do with it also, it was like 95 degrees out and no shade to be had, so the ammo was hot. the next day (cloudy 80 degrees)when i took the new case up to shoot out of the same rifle i had no problems and no white powder in the chamber. the ammo that stuck was the old stuff with the sealer around the case mouth, but thats all i shot before and had no problems. wolf returned my email and didnt know what the powder was (atleast they didnt say what it was), they did offer to buy back the rest of my wolf ammo, which was cool. i declined because im not seeing any malfunctions with the new case.
im going to save some of the white powder and give it to a chemist friend of mine so he can figure out what it is.
again, i didnt mean to flame you darth, i was one who said it was the rifles and not the ammo, but i know now that it was the ammo and just wanted to pass it on.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
"Well, thats Eugene Stoner's fault"..."Mini-14s, SL8-1's, and .223 chambered AK's? and they generally stay clean as a whistle"

Partialy his fault, but if you use extra dirty ammo the flaw in the system will be more pronounced.

CM is right about the SL8's they were designed from the ground up to be low maint. I can shoot (not kidding) 1000 rounds in my SL8 and it still won't be as dirty as 100 rounds in my AR.

Of course my SL8 is a full MOA less accurate so I keep both.

Love wolf 62 gr in my Armalite 2"-3" Groups all day long, and it's quiet enough I can easily hear the popers.

Do I use it when Rabid Space Zombies attack..NO
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:02:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I see all the crying about wolf and the part that gets me the most is the groups that are being talked about (8" or 10" @ 100 yards) this, I have to laugh about.  IT'S NOT THE GUN, IT'S NOT THE AMMO, IT'S NOT THE DOPE ON THE GUN, IT'S THE DOPE BEHIND THE GUN.  Stop for a minute and look at what you are saying! I bet you can't hold one MOA with anything you shoot.  

The worse I have ever seen a AR15 shoot (open sights) is 2.5" @ a 100 yards! Now I have seen shooters that can't shoot 5" groups @ 100. But to say there is something wrong with the ammo, this is crazy. I have to agree with the Pro-Wolf fans. You guys that can't hit, you are puting everyone in danger!

Gun control means, "hitting what you aim at". Here is a little advice that may help. 1)Focus on the front sight (not the target). 2) and with your triger finger only, use a slow steady squeeeeeeeeeeeez. 3)One more thing, With every shot use the rear sight aperture (this may be where you are going wrong). A little basic marksmanship goes a long way. Only jerks jerk.  You may even want to seek professional help! Maybe even attend a local NRA service rifle match (not to shoot "God forbid" but to talk with the shooters about good Marksmanship).

I aquired a post-band upper a few week ago and figured the best I would get out of it was about 1.5 MOA because of what the guy was saying about it.  He is not a bad shot, so I got it real cheep and cleaned it intently. Put it on one of my lowers and grabed a few boxes of wolf 62gr HP's and steped out to the range. I wish that wolf made a 80gr loading because I would use it for a match to 600 yards.  At two hundres yards my ten shot groups came in at 1.52, 1.22, 1.12, .78, 1.58 so the average was about .62 MOA.  This I don't find to be a bad ammo.  I did have a few fliers and they were not taken out of the figures.  This equats to a good upper, good lower, Good ammo and good shooting! NO OTHER WAY CAN THIS BE DONE.

Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 bushmasters! A1/C7 Shorty and a C7/A1 with a Heavy ass 20 inch tube! Dont like A2uppers!!!WOLF Shoots ACCURATE with Both Rifles and out of the Shorty wolf has the edge over XM193/Q3131A!!!

Anyway as Far as WOLF Being UNDER LOADED!!!

You will have more mileage and parts wont wear as FAST!!

100/200fps slower Now could a person tell if he was hit in the head with WOLF or M193?

And For me out of all the kinds of ammo I have shot Winchester M855 that came off links was the DIRTIEST OF ALL!

I think some guys out there would rather have 100FPS faster than have better accuracy?

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
At two hundres yards my ten shot groups came in at 1.52, 1.22, 1.12, .78, 1.58 so the average was about .62 MOA.  This I don't find to be a bad ammo.  I did have a few fliers and they were not taken out of the figures.  This equats to a good upper, good lower, Good ammo and good shooting! NO OTHER WAY CAN THIS BE DONE.

View Quote

Usually when such marksmen come to a board to lecture to others on how to shoot they don't go and make such wild statements for fear of others who will start questioning just what in praytell is and isn't being considered a "Flyer".    Hell, most folks here who bother with doing 10 shot groups don't fall into the practice of considering anything a "flyer" unless it was the result of DEFINITE shooter error where the errant shot was called before the round even touched paper.

Sorry, but seen it all too many times where a shooter calls things "flyers" just so they won't count in the average.     Same goes for the shooters who try to stick with simple 3 shot groups and think that they've got a 1/2MOA rifle but can't explain why they are getting "flyers" that are pushing their 3 shot group up to 3/4 or even 1MOA.     Yet if they'd just do a 5 or 10 shot group their statistical sample size would be much more accurate and they'd probably find that they are actually dealing with a 3/4MOA or 1MOA rifle and aren't actually getting "fliers".

Maybe you are the marksman that you claim to be but you come off sounding abrasive and a bit condesending.

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#6]
.78 to 1.58 groups at 200 yards is good shooting and if he has shot all his life I would think he is being truthfull.

I shot my first Gun at the age of 10yrs it was a 12ga. Then at 12yrs was able to hunt by myself! Im 38 now!

I have always used the ole 3/5 rd shot group!
Now Im no match shooter! Just the old country boy who shoots Fox and coyotes out in the fields for fun! I dont see the need to Fire 10rds for a group! 3/5rds is good enough.

I also always sight my Hi power 22's Bolt action to Hit 3 inches high at 100 yards.

It works for me! Everyone has there ways.

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny I still havent had a single fail to xx in my Bushmaster. and thats about 3k rounds so far.
no buildup of crap either...then again I clean my rifle pretty well...
it does shoot quite accurate also...no sub MOA but its damn fine for me in 4-5 inch groups at 50-100 yards.
as for their loads
I think they arent quite consistent.Some have a mad POP others are pretty quiet
some flame some dont
or maybe Im just weird
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
FMJ,

If a little history is needed, I am 42, I started shooting at age 8 with my grandfather. I started with a .22 LR so bad habits have never been a problem with me (not saying I don't screew up). I got my first 30-30 when I was 12 and took my first deer that year with it. I shoot NRA Service Rifle and "F" Class and years ago I enjoyed PPC. I love to shoot paper and steel as well as tac. pistol and rifle. I enjoy all types firearms and matches. I have my own range so working with loads/testing is not a major event. I seek the best load for each firearm and this becomes an accounting problem (a lot of paperwork). Not to mention the amount of time it takes working loads. I also do most of my own custom work (to a limit). Uppers I have built by the pro's (I don't have a lathe).

My shooting for bullseyes started in the USMC.  There I learned what I was doing with more detail and explination. Building on that and other knowledge from High Masters through the years, I have been able to better myself. This is a personnel thing and I don't expect it from everyone.  I have worked hard to achieve where I am and strive to be better.

With my job I carry a Glock 17 and a M4.  This is everyday. I do not want to fall short with my ability to survive.

My son is 13 and he is almost where I am.  His speed needs some work but at 13 what would you ask for?

I hope this may clear some doubt, if not "O" Well!  "Train Hard and Survive"

Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I stick to my original opinion of CM as I posted on the original "i'm getting out of ARs thread"

[baby]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
PEESHOOTER
I hope I didnt get off on the wrong foot with ya?

I was telling UglyGun and others That I Belive You! and a person with years of shooting under his belt can do this type of shooting?

BTW I had my own range also Before I moved to FL a couple weeks ago! Its Great Reload a Few rounds on the ole Blue and step out to test them! I sure miss it!

I have a Step Son thats 14yrs old and is a great shot!But he hates shooting???But my 2 Girls 12 and 6 love to shoot!

I have shot Wolf although I dont anymore because I have a bunch of Q3131/Q3131A/XM193 on hand! But out of my 2 bushies its more accurate than m193
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top