Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2003 1:45:39 PM EDT
What is the difference between the 55 Gr. and 62 Gr. .223 round? Is one  a better performer than the other.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Since the ammo oracle is down I be breif.

The 55gr M193 is copper jacketed with a lead core running 3250fps @15' from a 20" rifle.

The 62gr M855 is copper jacketed with a steel penatrator and a lead core.  It runs 3025fps @78' from a 20" rifle.

As to better performance?  It depends on your criteria for better.  Some points to ponder on this can be found here: [url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/ammofaq.msnw[/url] (3rd Q&A down)
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I will try to keep this short and to the point....if you want a general purpose round for self defense, plinking, etc, buy the M193. On the other hand, if your most important requirement is the penetration of a steel army helmet at 600 yards, then go with M855. The M193 is cheaper, easier to find and in many cases outperforms the M855 when it comes to fragmentation and wounding ability. There are so many variations in the SS109 bullet (mainly the jacket and whether the steel insert is centered or off to one side) that performance varies from brand to brand and maybe even lot to lot. On top of this, the M193 round is faster, therefore the bullet will stay at or above the 2700 fps velocity threshold farther out. From a 20" barrel the M193 may still be fragging out to about 200 yards, whereas the M855 may only frag out to 150 yards or less. If it was my money, I would buy M193 every time.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:45:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Twist rate will determine which will perform better in your particular gun.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top