Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/3/2003 6:33:33 AM EDT
Which is the best FMJ choice for practice, stocking, etc.....Winchester, Federal, or PMC?
Also, all 3 make a 110gr JSP load. Which of those are loaded as closely ballistic wise to the FMJ version?? Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Troy. Thats good enough for me to do with. This is for my Wife's new M1C, which will be her main (currently only) rifle, so I wanted to go with the best.
I'll get some of the Rem JSP, zero with that, then try some of the other FMJ's to see which hasthe closest POI to the Rem.
Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree totally with Troy. The .30 Carbine with proper ammunition can be a very effective performer. The best load is the Remington 110 gr JSP (R30CAR). In testing performed by Dr. Gary Roberts this load had the following results:

velocity: 1864 fps
penetration: 13-16" (in gel)
expansion: .54-.56"

As you can see this is performance that equals that of JSP .223 loads! He also reported that it faired well in penetrating windshields and level IIIA body armor! The good doctor also passed along some other helpful carbine tidbits such as:

- A Giles M4 Triglide sling can be fitted to the carbine

- A Sure-Fire 6v light w/ a Z41 tail cap can be mounted to the carbine using the M-14 mount and Leupold 1" med QRW ring

-Blackhawk 2 oz duty mace pouches make an ideal mag pouch for M1 15 RD mags

-The Eagle TAC-V1-N-D-40mm vest has 18 chest pockets which will perfectly hold 18 M1 Carbine 15 rd mags (or 18 M1 Garand clips). This and the above gear can be found at [url]www.lightfighter.com[/url].

Also, in regards to 110 gr FMJ with a similar velocity, you might try the PMC. If memory serves me, this load chronos slightly slower than the other types and more closely matches the velocity of the Remington JSP's. But take this with a grain of salt as sometimes my memory isn't all that great! LOL. Hope some of this info will be helpful to you and others with an interest in the M1 carbine.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I agree totally with Troy. The .30 Carbine with proper ammunition can be a very effective performer. The best load is the Remington 110 gr JSP (R30CAR). In testing performed by Dr. Gary Roberts this load had the following results:

velocity: 1864 fps
penetration: 13-16" (in gel)
expansion: .54-.56"

As you can see this is performance that equals that of JSP .223 loads! He also reported that it faired well in penetrating windshields and level IIIA body armor! The good doctor also passed along some other helpful carbine tidbits such as:

- A Giles M4 Triglide sling can be fitted to the carbine

- A Sure-Fire 6v light w/ a Z41 tail cap can be mounted to the carbine using the M-14 mount and Leupold 1" med QRW ring

-Blackhawk 2 oz duty mace pouches make an ideal mag pouch for M1 15 RD mags

-The Eagle TAC-V1-N-D-40mm vest has 18 chest pockets which will perfectly hold 18 M1 Carbine 15 rd mags (or 18 M1 Garand clips). This and the above gear can be found at [url]www.lightfighter.com[/url].

Also, in regards to 110 gr FMJ with a similar velocity, you might try the PMC. If memory serves me, this load chronos slightly slower than the other types and more closely matches the velocity of the Remington JSP's. But take this with a grain of salt as sometimes my memory isn't all that great! LOL. Hope some of this info will be helpful to you and others with an interest in the M1 carbine.

-Charging Handle
View Quote

Thanks CH! That answers a few other questions I had in the back of my head. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone know a good source of this Remington load?  All I typically see is Winchester FMJ and surplus?  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:11:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone know a good source of this Remington load?  All I typically see is Winchester FMJ and surplus?  
View Quote

Natchez Shooters Supplies has the Remington ammo listed as item # RTR30CAR. The price is $25.26 per box of 50. That isn't too bad when considering a 50 round box of 38 special is nearly as expensive. Besides, one would only need a few boxes of this for defense or hunting. Plinking and practice can be performed with cheap FMJ. Their website is [url]www.natchezss.com[/url]. Or give em a ring at 1-800-251-7839. I have nothing but good things to say about Natchez.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:06:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Hawkeye: Where I live in TX there is a Nationial Sporting goods store that has Remington jsp for 17.99 a box of 50 (this is there everyday retail price)and this store may be in your area also. email me and I will let you know what sporting chain I am talking about. I hate giving info about my ammo honey holes in gun forums because everytime I do the stores run out of product and then they raise the prices.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top