Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/2/2003 12:01:14 PM EDT
It was the cheapest plinker ammo the local guys have.

Is it decent enough to BLAM a little in a Glock?

I usually get CCI Blazer ammo for plinking, but this Silver Bear was about $1 cheaper for 50.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
my plinking ammo isnt quite plinking though
Speed Gold DOts
I wanted to try wolf but the gun dealer talked me out of it
jamming seemed to be the problem just like the SW99 i was gonna get
so I have a G23 which has a nice 3.5 lb trigger and all the little toys for the IPSD setup (I think its ipsd) and now considering a longer ported barrel
I also use Magtech and PMC for blasting
but gold dots and hydra shok 180 is what i use most of the time. does great on milk jugs watermelons and such
kills the melon good
let me know how the silver bear is
i like trying out new ammo
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Whatever ammo you use, make sure that the slugs have a jacket on them.  Shooting lead in a Glock can make it kaBOOM!  
[url]http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/glock/gz-glock-kb.html[/url] has a small section about lead bullets causing kB!s in section 6.

edited to say that I better get on my Nomex underwear, I'm sure the [pyro] is going to get pretty hot from the Glock fans.  Personally, I love the Glock, their 9mm is one of the finest autoloaders ever designed, I am a little leery of the .40, so I just make sure to use only new jacketed ammo from a reputable manufacturer.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
As I understand it, the majority of Glock .40 S&W kBs are the result of reloaders and 180-200 grain bullets.  The pressure spike on these 'heavier' rounds can be devastating unless you are careful about charges.

I have read that kBs from 165 grain ammunition are almost non-existent.

I shoot a Glock 22 mostly for fun, and keep it loaded with 15 165 grain Remington Golden Sabers.  If I had had more knowledge at the time, I would have bought a 20 or a 21.  This gun was the first I bought when I moved to Aurora, IL.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You are correct, from what I remember, that the pressure spike from improperly seated 180 grain bullets in the .40 can cause dangerously high pressures, because of the size of the bullet, and corresponding diminished case capacity.

From what I remember reading, though, the lead fouling from constant use of non jacketed bullets is an even bigger concern, and will cause a KB eventually, as the more fouling in the barrel, the ever greater the chamber pressure as more are fired.

I have a glock 22, and love it, but also only fire factory jacketed ammo, although I personally love the 180 grainers.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't tried the Silver Bear yet but I have shot plenty of Wolf through my G22 and G27 with no problems. I recently switched to another Russian manufacturer for my .40 though. I have been buying State Unitary Enterprise 165gr ammo now. I prefer 165 over the 180's so I will just keep using this ammo. I haven't had any problems with this ammo at all. I completed LFI-I last year using this ammo without a single problem. Much to the dismay of Massad Ayoob.

The sad thing is I just recently experienced my first malfunctions with my G22 after almost 10000 rounds. I had 2 Blazer's fail to eject and 1 Winchester USA fail to eject in the same day. I had picked up some of the Winchester in a pinch and fired about 300 rounds of it. After the malfunctions I broke the pistol down and found brass flakes packed around the extractor. Since I have cleaned it I shot in an IDPA style match and had a 165gr UMC with an underpowered charge. You could see the bullet going down range and it keyholed a target at about 5yds. The only reason I bought this ammo was that it was the range rules.

So, I will just keep using the cheap stuff until I find a good reason not to. I would say shoot up the Silver Bear and keep buying if you like it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
hmmmm
food for thought
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I brought this post back up because I received an email about the ammo I was discussing in it. I didn't notice it at first and didn't realize the heading of the email until I had marked it and deleted it. I was unable to retrieve the email, so I won't be able to respond. I am guessing it stemmed from this post, so I am hoping the person will see this and resend the email. That or you can just IM me if that is easier.

Sorry
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#9]
aimless
that was just what the gun shop told me...they usually are pretty honest to me about things like that. However I do spend a ton there and his feelings are with the stuff I buy I should be using better ammo. for most shoots I go to I bring Wolf for my rifle and tried other less that NATO spec ammo and cheaper ammo for my handguns without any dramam whatsoever.
I feel shot what you shoot till you cant shoot it no more.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top