Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/27/2003 10:33:20 PM EDT
Bought 100 rd. trial lot of 55 gr. FMJ, brass cased, boxer primed ammo in the mint-green boxes. I was hoping the stuff would be reloadable.

Holy crap, out of just 40 rds. fired (2 boxes)yesterday, I had two blown primers (1 each box)! And I just noticed today that there's at least one split neck in those shells! This is supposed to be brand new, factory loaded ammo!

In addition to the blown primers, I noticed that several of the other cases had the dark smudge around the primer from gas leakage. And get this: one of the cases that blew a primer had the most severe looking case head seperation line I've ever dreamed of. I can actually feel it from the outside. I'm glad it didn't rupture totally in my bushmaster.

Most of the rounds chronied at approx 3100 F.P.S., and sound/recoil seemed normal. The two cases that blew the primers also had brass extrusion into the extractor groove.

What's up with this crappy ammo? Are they trying to kill us? I bought this stuff with the hopes of reloading it and it's not even suitable for first-time factory fire! I've got 60 rounds left and I don't think I even want to touch them.

Should I be concerned about my rifle? It seemed to be shooting fine after words. It jamed just twice when there was a loose primer floating around in the action. Is there any damage I should look for at the bolt/carrier to make sure my rifle is safe?

Thanks,

junior
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:20:04 PM EDT
Someone else will have better info than me, but I would certainly be doing a detail clean and looking over my bolt real well. Check the lugs and face for any damage/ cracks. Any time I run into problem ammo I go over my entire weapon, it doesn't seem worth it not to.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:12:01 AM EDT
I have never had a problem with S&B ammo before.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:31:21 AM EDT
I've fired S&B alot and never had a problem, besides not being accurate at 500yds (55gr). I've heard similar experiences with other inexpensive ammo but I always leaned in favor of S&B over the winchester white box.........
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:51:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/28/2003 10:59:17 AM EDT by RussB]
I have recently bought a case (1000rnds) of S&B "green box" (lot #349/151). Average velocity is 3075 from my RRA's 16" barrel. I have fired ~300 rounds. I have had no primer failures, and the spent brass is in good shape (reloadable). I have found this ammo to very accurate from my gun's 1-9" twist barrel. I get 2 1/2" groups @100 yds, using open sights (off a benchrest) It has proven to be the 2nd most accurate ammo out of my rifle. PMC 223A being most accurate (sub-2" groups) ar4uandme, Make sure your chamber is clean, and your bolt is OK. In your particular case, I would personally not shoot any more S&B.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:32:38 PM EDT
Didn't our original poster mean the following: My particular group of 100 rounds of S&B sucks!?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:39:26 PM EDT
There used to be a sticky about S&B KBs. I have used about 500 round of this in my M16, and I gave 1500 rounds away when I had a blown primer which leaked enough gas to etch a groove into my bolt face. If this blows up my $9000 M16 what have I saved by spending $25 less for a thousand rounds? I have bought Winchester, Federal, Swiss and nice looking South African battle packs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:02:52 PM EDT
Thanks for all your input everyone. The lot number is 328/156 It's 55 gr. "M-193" FMJ I'm not going to shoot this stuff anymore and I plan on contacting S&B about this. Maybe it's a bad lot that needs to be recalled. I hope I don't have a ring etched in the bolt face. I noticed several of the primers were leaking. I'm going to shoot that AR tomorrow (PMC ammo) and I'll double check the lugs and bolt face. What's the danger in bolt face damage? Like say, if you get a ring etched onto it? Sergio
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:55:51 PM EDT
Well, the S&B ammo I've shot has all been pistol ammo. Primarily .45acp and 9mm. Have shot about 3,000 rounds. Great stuff in my opinion...but it is not a "defensive" round...just for practice. I have no complaints except that .45 ammo is too darn expensive no matter WHAT brand you buy.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:01:30 PM EDT
I have shot alot of S&B in the mint bx and never had a problem. Last weekend fire 500 rds and they showed no problems.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:10:01 AM EDT
I have had poor results with it concerning split cases and ejection. I also shoot PMC and IMI 55gr with no problems ever.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:03:05 PM EDT
I put an S&B post on the rifle board. I have had similar bad experiences. Bad primers seated at the factory. Blown primer pieces interfering in bolt lock up area. (Junk Junk Junk) (Dangerous Dangerous Dangerous) I can email a pic of the bad primer found new in box if anyone would like.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:24:25 PM EDT
I shot 120rds or so of this yesterday in my friends Bushmaster M4. It was in the mint green box and had no problems at all.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:12:02 PM EDT
I've been talking with a rep from S&B and he said he'll refund the money I spent on the ammo and pay for a brand new bolt from Bushmaster Quality Parts Co. He told me to order a new bolt from Bushmaster and let him know when it comes in. Then he'll have U.P.S. come out and pick up the old bolt with some sample rounds of the suspect ammo for testing. This all sounds great so far; I just hope that there hasn't been any other damage to my rifle, such as cracked lugs at the barrel extension or barrel, chamber, carrier damage. I'm gonna call Bushmaster tomorrow and tell them what happened with the ammo and I'll ask them if they recommend me sending in the entire upper for inspection. I hope this won't be necessary, 'cause that will cost at least 20 more dollars in shipping. junior
Top Top