Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2003 9:37:52 PM EDT
ok guys, I finally decided to bite the bullet so to speak and load for my AR> I origianally planned to not load for 223 becuase I felt it was not worth my time or effort with the low cost of mil surp ammo out there to shoot.

But it seems that I have been bitten by the loading bug and have decided to go for it and give the 223 a try.

Here is my initail ideas or thought on my load. Once fired Winchester Q3131 brass (I also have some 2001 Lake City once fired as well. If this would be better to use please let me know)

I bought both the 52gr MKS and the 69MKS. So far I have had good luck with Sierra so for now I will be sticking with them for awhile.

I have both BR4s and Fed 205Ms to use.
Varget was what I planned on using for the powder but I also have IMR 4064.

What I need to know is what recipe would you suggest with both the 52 and 69 grainers with the Varger. Which primer to use and which brass would be best. Along with what charge weight. I remember Greg mentioning a specific charge with Varget as being a kind of gold standard, but could not find that thread.

I slo need advice on seating depth. I will be shooting a Colt Match Target 20inch heavy bbl HBar.

Lyman lists the trim to length as 1.750, should I stick to this? Should I fell length size like I had planned or would it be benificial for me to neck size only? I planned to full length size becuase that is what I have seen as reccommended for ARs. If neck sizing would be better please let me know.

Lyman also lists the OAL of the 52s at 2.250 and the 69s at 2.260

should I stay with those or is there a better seating depth?
I measured the LC XM193 that I have and its OAL was 2.245 without the sinclair comperator and 2.860 with it. Would I be better to load to the same length as the XM193 since this stuff shoots real well out of my AR?

Sorry for the long and many questions but this will be the first time for me loading the 223 and I want to get it right the first time!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody here loads for the AR?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, I haven't had the best of luck loading with Varget.

If you want to turn out loads pretty fast the stick based powders can get to be a pain in the ass to run through a powder measure.    Short stick powders like H322 work but longer stick powders like IMR3031 and Varget can be a bitch.

Powders that I have had good luck with include the AA2015BR, H335, and H322.   All 3 of those powders have worked nicely with the 40-55grain bullet weights too.    Varget might provide some decent results for the 69grn SMKs but I usually don't use the heavier bullets.

If you are shooting an AR15 then you really need to full length size and it's possible you  might even need to use a small base sizing die.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I used Winchester brass, primers and IMR 4320 (25gr)with the 69smk's, 2.260oal. When I had my Ultra Match, I had a 8, five shot groups average out to .6" at 100 using a bipod on the ground. I tried 748 and R15, it didn't like either. I full length sized the cases also.

Mark
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm using 24grns of H335, Nosler 55grn BT with a setting of 2.245, Remington 7½ bench primers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The reason I'm using Varget is becuase I load for the 308 and it works wonders for that caliber. I know it works well for the 223 as well. I just have to find the sweet spot. I remember seeing it before, but the link that I had to it is gone now :(

I chose Varget becuase it is good for both, it would save me stocking up on multiple powders. Or so I though  lol

As for the way it meters.......I bought the cheap ass Lee perfect Powder measure. I must say, it is anything but perfect! It is a plastic POS and feels and looks like a toy. But I must say this....it meters Varget and IMR 4064 extremely well. I bought the Lee just for long extruded powders and it has worked amazingly well for just that. And for the price I payed at Midway for it ($17.68 I think) it was worth a try. I am glad I did.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top