Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 12:46:44 AM EDT
I see that many of you have an AR15 set up for home defense purposes. What I would like to know is whether or not an AR15 has ever been used for that purpose and whether or not it is well suited for that purpose.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:11:33 AM EDT
[#1]
It is excellent for that purpose BUT it is loud.  So loud you cannot believe.  I would not reccomend shooting indoors with no hearing protection on a regular basis but for the once in a life time bad guy kicking in the door situation it is the best choice.  You may want to consider a Vmax type bullet if you live in an apartment to reduce over penetration because superior rounds like the 75 and 77 grain ammo will punch through several interior walls.

I persoanlly use the AR as a trunk gun and bring it in as a home defense weapon.  I keep a mag full of ballistic tips for use indoors.  A short barreled autoloading shotgun is a good choice too and the last choice but best for retention and keeping handy is a full sized pistol.  Just make sure you have a flashlight attached to the firearm so you can ID people in your home/yard before you decide to use it in a home defense role.  WOuld hate to see you shoot the neighbors kid who is playing hide and seek with a waterpistol at night...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Read the [url=http://www.ammo-oracle.com]Ammo-Oracle.[/url]

It contains info on weapon and ammo choice for home defense.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I will stick with my 870 for home shooting!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I will stick with my 870 for home shooting!
View Quote

I will use whatever gun is in the room I happen to be in...

The real drawback is if they get in the room with the most firepower I'm sunk!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]
An AR is a great rifle for home defense purposes.  Just take a look at the toys that uncle sam uses for CQB...

Self defense shooting distances are well inside of fragmentation ranges for pretty much all barrel lengths.  This makes the AR a nice home defense weapon when using the correct ammunition.

I keep a P95 with JHPs in clip holster w/spare mag out of the safe for home protection.  I won't be as ticked if it is stolen ($300 new) when away from home as many other items in the safe.  I know many of you scoff at the idea of using a 9mm, but I'm willing to bet that no one is willing to volunteer to be shot at with one.  It was purchased for the wife and the weapon out of the safe needs to be one that she can easily handle.

I also wouldn't be as concerned when the police decide to take it as evidence.  I have a relative that was involved in a self defense shooting years ago that the police "lost" his prized .308  How many of you would like the police to "lose" your ARs?  I'm not saying that this will happen, only that it has happend...
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
 I know many of you scoff at the idea of using a 9mm, but I'm willing to bet that no one is willing to volunteer to be shot at with one.  

It was purchased for the wife and the weapon out of the safe needs to be one that she can easily handle.
View Quote

I wouldn't line up for a point blank shot from a BB gun either... [;D]

On the otherhand, I say you should carry the biggest thing you can safely handle, & if your wife can put a 9mm where she needs it then that's what matters.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:05:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I have my 1911-A1 for me but I've shown the wife how to use and fire a small 20 ga double barrel shotgun.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top