Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/11/2003 1:26:08 PM EDT
I just read some of the historical threads here, but would like to see the sources of the recommendations...of certain 9mm defensive rounds over others.....

I am leaning towards the Ranger Talon if I can find a source....also why would a standard load outperform a +P or +P+ load?

Further, I am currently loading 230gr Golden Sabers in my 1991 Commander is there a better load for the shorter barrel?  I read that sometimes the fps difference in the shorter barrels don't allow the HP's to mushroom properly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ed
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
For penetration, a lower velocity round would not open up as quick and penetrate deeper, less expansion. For the .45, 230 HPs tend to be a sometimes expansion when fired out of less than a 5 inch tube. Going with the 185's will give you a better chance on expansion because of the higher velocity.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#2]
You must realize that Ranger RA9T sacrifices its temporary stretch cavity to gain its penetration and expansion.  I will email you some differences in ballistic gelatin and you can see it for your self.  Temporary cavity in pistol ammo is weak compared to rifle rounds.  I am happy to sacrifice that which is so weak it wont do anything in the first place.  Others have different opinions....mail sent.

Edited to add:

You cant make generalizations about bullet weight apply to all types of bullets.  The Winchester Ranger line is designed to open up at very low velocities and uses momentum to get its penetration in the heavier projectiles, not a slow opening hollowpoint as stated previously.  You wont be disappointed with a 230 grain .45 Ranger round.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top