Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2003 2:37:17 PM EDT
The price from Ammoman on Wolf ammuntion looks pretty good. Is Wolf ok? I've always used winchester in small amounts. I'm about to buy a case to start with when I get my new AR. What should I get that is both reliable and inexpensive?
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Nevermind guys. I've read other threads. Sorry I didn't read them first. I'll get some to plink with after my break in period and maybe some winchester or lake City to put up for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Terrible ammo.

It's cases are supposedly coated in lacquer, containing the rendered remains of puppies and kittens.

It's propellant has been known to cause indegestion in labratory rats.

It's bullets travel well in excess of the national speed limit, and contain lead, a known poisionous metal.

Meplat-

Link Posted: 4/30/2003 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It runs great in AK's and it's not that dirty and hard to clean my AK at all!
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Although this post is about their 7.62x54R and not .223, I will say that it was loaded on the lighter side, fairly accurate, but it was the [B]DIRTIEST[/B] ammo I have seen yet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I just shot 500 rounds through my new A3 20" bushmaster the other day, 1 hard primer was the only malfunction. No jams. The only thing about the russian ammo that I don't like are the little red flecks of primer sealant that you have to clean out but thats the only issue I have with it. Works fine, and cheap.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I have shot approximately 2,500 rounds of the Wolf 55 and 62-gr .223 ammo with ZERO failures of any kind any no lacquer-coated breech or bore problems. However, I have noticed the following consistent negative attributes with this ammo:

- it is definitely dirty, requiring a detailed cleaning of the barrel, gas tube and bolt group after each use.
- always seem to have a few flyers in each box.
- seems underpowered a bit and powder smoke smells weird.
- hard steel cases defintiely leave flecks of metal in the AR's upper and lower aluminum receivers, which can't be good.

On the plus side, Wolf ammo is cheap plinking stuff (1,000 rds at Sportsman's Guide for only $91) and creates a competitive marketplace that helps keep the cost of other ammo down.

That being said, I am using up my last Wolf lot of 500-rds, probably won't purchase any more and I'm waiting for another load of that great PMP South African surplus 5.56 mm M1A3 stuff to hit the market.

Tight Groups,
phoenix27
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#7]
These folks have better prices than most of the other sellers...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=52591
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:16:44 AM EDT
[#8]
its dirty and it smells funny, but then again i eat alot of beans and i dont shower much so it might just be me...

anyway, try it, if you like it,use it, if not, dont use it.

i havent had any problems with it in my AR and neither has my brother, we split cases all of it the time. of course i prefer L.C. but the budget doesnt always allow for it. as for my com-bloc rifles, they just wouldnt be com-bloc rifles without wolf.

always clean your gun after each use.  thats good advice for anybody though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I've shot over 600rds of Wolf 7.62x54R, it was great stuff and non-corrosive.  Beats cleaning or dead primers with the surplus.  I also like Wolf 223 as I've just got in another 4k.  The 9mm is a bit dirty but at $75/k, I couldn't pass it up.  The 7.62x39 FMJ is fine but don't bother with the HP stuff for an AK as most won't feed properly.
When will Wolf come out with .308?  I want some cheap 308 now!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#10]
MEPLAT COOLNESS!!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top