Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/30/2002 12:18:33 PM EDT
What is the reason or definition of the black tip on this ammo? Is it true AP ammo or just a marketing gimic? Also has anyone gave it a test run?
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It's almost certainly a gimmick. In my book it's out and out lying. It's probably just regular M855/SS109 that have the tips painted black. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
True AP is only allowed to be sold to civilians if a manufacturer has not made a pistol to shoot it. (EG- 30.06) The AP you see for sale for .223 rounds is not true AP, just a hardened core and would be considered extended penetration ammo.
True .223 AP and 7.62x39 AP ammo used to be allowed to be sold to civilians, but Mars Inc. (Oly Arms) made a pistol version of the AR15 and ATF made it illegal.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not "lying" and it's not AP.  It's just the color the particular origination country uses in its color coding system.  If I'm not mistaken, it [b]might[/b] have a hardened steel core, but it's definitely not "Armor Piercing" as a NATO black tip might indicate.

If you see anybody selling this as AP with a corresponding higher price, the seller is lying, not the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Igman "Black Tip" is a SS109 bullet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
 if a manufacturer has not made a pistol to shoot it. (EG- 30.06)  
View Quote

Does not T/C make a 30-06 barrel? If I'm not mistaken, that is.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top