Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/29/2002 7:25:56 AM EDT
I will be getting a Ruger 10/22 this weekend. Any advice on which ammo is better as far as stocking up/plinking rounds? (brand, grains, bullet type...etc) Thanks!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 7:41:53 AM EDT
I used to like the Winchester Super X in all my 22's until i recently tried the CCI Mini-Mag's. The CCI's are cleaner and are more reliable in the semi autos. Some friends also have switched to the CCI's for the same reason. Havent chronied the CCI's yet, but i think they are also loaded a tad hotter than the Winchester Super X. I'll take reliability anyday....
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:21:53 AM EDT
For plinking, go to Walmart and buy a 500/550 round box of Remmington, Federal or Winchester. I've used all three in my 10/22 with next to zero problems. The 10/22 will shoot just about anything reliably.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:32:04 AM EDT
I agree with the above: Walmart also has Remington Target ammo which is better made and more accurate, costs only about $7 for a box of 425 rnds. I get 1/2 in. groups with my TC 22 Classic and Anschutz sporter at 50 yards. I even get 1.75 in groups at 100 yards with a 6 in holdover with this ammo.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 2:33:29 PM EDT
I tried some of the new CCI Velocitor ammo this weekend. I suggest that everyone here try this round. $3 for a box of 50. I'm hooked after just 1 box.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 10:54:46 AM EDT
I can tell you what NOT to buy. Remington's Lightening (comes in a green box with a lightening bolt across the box). Black lead looking bullet. Stuff is total crap or I got a bad lot. Bullets diameters differ so much that every third or fourth round won't even slide into the chamber.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:37:18 AM EDT
Spoonbill, I also had problems with the Lightning rounds. I guess it's just poor QC. I try to stay away from Rem. ammo in general. For everyday plinking ammo, Walmart Federal(box of 550rds for $9) is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 12:30:15 PM EDT
armatt15, I also stay away from Remington's steel shot waterfowl shotgun shells. Funny how the same company makes some products I do like. The reason I tried their 22 ammo in the first place was because I've used their centerfire rifle ammo in several different calibers for years and have been well pleased with it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 5:23:45 PM EDT
Treelo, rimfire shooters test to find what shoots best before buying any quantity. know that you will be plinking with ear protection if you shoot supersonic ammo. subsonic ammos are often superior performers and do not attract as much attention. down here that is a huge benefit. most of what is marketed as 'target' ammo will be subsonic and specially marked subsonic ammo is available , btw, rimfire everything is available. choose several types of what is conveniently available. hunting type ammo , try federal lightning at 96 cents a box.[supersonic] if not so good you have spent a buck. next try win. powerpoints. big bucks at 1.40. i like the greased lead better than the copper coated high speed rounds.i hope you will have fun determining what your rifle wants.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 6:18:55 PM EDT
Thanks for all the input. Spoonbill, I was at Wal Mart today and asked to see some ammo. The guy at Wal Mart handed me the Lightning ammo. For some reason, I handed it back and told him I'd be back. Good thing I guess. I guess I'll do like Alan308 suggests and try a little of each. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 7:37:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Treelo: Thanks for all the input. Spoonbill, I was at Wal Mart today and asked to see some ammo. The guy at Wal Mart handed me the Lightning ammo. For some reason, I handed it back and told him I'd be back. Good thing I guess. I guess I'll do like Alan308 suggests and try a little of each. Thanks!
View Quote
Go to rimfirecentral.com and see the 22 ammunition section for comments on 22 LR ammo. Bill
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 7:55:11 PM EDT
I've tried EVERY .22LR on the market in my 10/22 My favorite, in terms of overall enjoyment is AGUILA ammunition, the hyper velocity stuff. shoots 1700+ fps, is more reliable than any other ammo I have used, accurate as I need, and it makes CCI stingers feel like subsonic rounds. Put 1000 rounds through it with no cleaning, and didnt have one failure to (insert word here). Absolutely love this ammo, and its priced midway between stingers and cheap wally world ammo. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 8:00:46 PM EDT
the walmart 550 rnd boxes of federal are great for plinking; CCI Mini-Mags are about the best I've found, but they're significantly more expensive. FOTBR
Top Top