User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Let me try to be clearer.  I am not questioning your test methods.  Since I am aware that you have done an extensive amount of testing on various types of bullets, I am sure that you must have the penetration results and maybe the fragmentation (or lack thereof) results.  I am sure your testing methods are reliable and I am not wanting to see proof that you actually did the tests or did them scientifically.  I will take your word for it.  I just would like to see some of your figures so that I can make an informed decision for myself.  I particularly would like to see the results for 55 grain FMJ in bare gelatin, the results of 55 grain TAP in bare gelatin, and the results for 64 grain Power Point in bare gelatin.  If you have that information or anything similar then I would appreciate seeing it.
View Quote

The above was also a request.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
When it come to defensive ammo I choose Wolf.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

HAHA!! Thats great man its not often I read something funny in the ammunition forum!
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let me try to be clearer.  I am not questioning your test methods.  Since I am aware that you have done an extensive amount of testing on various types of bullets, I am sure that you must have the penetration results and maybe the fragmentation (or lack thereof) results.  I am sure your testing methods are reliable and I am not wanting to see proof that you actually did the tests or did them scientifically.  I will take your word for it.  I just would like to see some of your figures so that I can make an informed decision for myself.  I particularly would like to see the results for 55 grain FMJ in bare gelatin, the results of 55 grain TAP in bare gelatin, and the results for 64 grain Power Point in bare gelatin.  If you have that information or anything similar then I would appreciate seeing it.
View Quote

The above was also a request.
View Quote

Yes, but a different one.

I told you, we'll put all the results on our website when we get things up.  I'm not going to type it all out here just to have to do it all over again for the site.

The long and the short of it is that VMAX loaded rounds in 5.56 (read: TAP below 75 grains) is NOT a good self defense round.  Penetration in my experience ranges from 5.5" to 9" but in no case have I seen it exceed 10.5" in anything but the heavier TAP 75.

Go ahead and use VMAX loaded rounds and other varmint rounds to your heart's content, just don't do it for self-defense and be surprised if you pay for the decision.

We'll do some more specific testing of PowerPoint and PP+ (probably a side by side) later.  For now suffice it to say that it penetrates nicely but that the wound cavity is generally smaller than in fragmenting ammo.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please see: [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=135926&w=searchPop]High Velocity 5.56mm 55 grain 'Wolf' performance in bare gelatin.[/url]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 1:32:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

HAHA!! Thats great man its not often I read something funny in the ammunition forum!
View Quote

two for the price of one...  just count it as a 110 grain .223 and squeeze the trigger twice.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

two for the price of one...  just count it as a 110 grain .223 and squeeze the trigger twice.
View Quote

I think you meant "Count it as two .22LR"
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top