Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/9/2002 1:28:22 PM EDT
I finally got my new AR built, and went to the range today with the Federal XM193 Lot 6 from Lake city. The XM193 doesn't seem too consistent. I got it on the paper, and I think it's about right, but not sure because I might get one in the center, but the next might be off somewhere (and this is on sandbags). I have a bushmaster 20" fluted target barrle. Does anyone know of any ammo that is really accurate? I was thinking about using Hornady Varmint Express 55gr for any varmint hunting I do. Does anyone have any experiance with the Hornady ammo? Any suggestions for a handload that might perform really well, and run abour 3200fps?

Sorry to ramble on...
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 1:32:02 PM EDT
I've never had the sort of accuracy results out of any standard mil-type ball ammo that I demand. It seems that it routinely shoots up to three inches off center at 100 yards. I started loading my own match grade ammo and now my groups are in the half inch class. Going back to XM193 or other mil-spec ammo always results in more open groups
and I don't really like to use it for that reason.

I guess I should ask..what's your barrel twist rate? It might be too slow for best performance.

CJ

Link Posted: 11/9/2002 1:48:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/9/2002 1:56:59 PM EDT by 357sigfan]
3" sounds about right... It seemed that the shot would be anywhere in that area at 100yd. The twist rate is 1/9. What do your match grade loads consist of, if I may ask? I'd like to try to make it a tack driver, if possible, and inconsistent ammo doesn't help. Any suggestions to send me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 3:09:17 PM EDT
My pet load is a Sierra Match King 53 gr. flat base bullet (part no. 1400) over 23.0 grains of Hodgdon H322 powder in good brass with a Winchester small rifle primer. The resulting groups (from the sandbags) are so tight at 100 yards that I have to move the crosshairs off the point of aim to see the group from the firing position. I could actually make good use of a 'scope with a finer crosshair.

It costs about 200 bucks to load up a thousand of these rounds. Match grade accuracy for the price of the (moderately) cheap stuff? It's a no-brainer, if you're inclined to start reloading.

CJ
Top Top