Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/23/2002 6:27:23 AM EDT
I received my 720rd case of Swiss surplus from ammoman (super fast service), and noticed that the upper 1/3 of the brass is a bit discolored. I absolutely do not care how the stuff looks, as long as it shoots ok, so I wasn't worried about it (I have not tried shooting it yet).

However, in reading through some previous postings here, I saw several references to tarnishing, and the context indicated that this was undesireable.

Is these concerns merely cosmetic, or does tarnished brass indicate some other problem with the cartridge?

--Mike
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 6:34:18 AM EDT
As long as it's simply a tarnish in the finish verses a build up of corrosion, it is strictly cosmetic and will not affect function.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 6:35:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/23/2002 6:37:57 AM EDT by s0ulzer0]
Nothing to worry about.

Read: Ammo FAQ

www.ammo-oracle.com/

Edit: Unless its got barnacles crusted all over it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 6:37:47 AM EDT
Suspect what your refering to is the annealing process, which is done to most mil-spec ammo, (heat-treating to harden the necks of the brass).

What your seeing is annealing.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 7:23:48 AM EDT
Thanks for the information... this make sense.

--Mike

(p.s. – I did try the FAQ first, but instead of manually scanning through, it I merely searched for "tarnish", thinking that's what the discoloration was. If I would have taken a few moments to read through the questions, I would have spotted the "discoloration" question. Doh!)
Top Top