Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2002 5:01:39 PM EDT
I must not have been paying attention to my ammo
but now i am.  I have resently purchased 500 rounds of Federal XM193.  I was putting it on stripper clips when i noticed that the neck and sholder area of the cases is discolored.  It looks like it has had heat applied to it.

What gives??  Could you guys give me an explanation as to why this is done to the cases.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
From the AmmoFaq

Just about all necked rounds use a heat process called "annealing" to shape the neck of the casing.  Producers of military ammo don't bother to spend the extra time and effort in production to polish the brass after annealing, unlike most commercial ammo.  The result is that discoloration that makes it look like someone took a blowtorch to the ammo.  Don't worry, it won't impact the performance in any way.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks  VA-gunnut.

I looked there before i posted but did not
see any thing on what may cause it.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top