Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/24/2002 12:35:28 PM EDT
Has anyone had experience with the performance of both these in their rifle; accuracy wise as well as reliability?

Thanks,
Bill
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 1:21:01 PM EDT
In my experiance, the BH 52Gn Match HP is the most acccurate load in the entire Black Hills product line.

I doubt the Federal Am-Eagle load will compete. It does have a very good reputation though. I will be testing the entire .223 Am-Eagle product (50Gn HP, 55Gn FMJ, & 62Gn FMJ) line in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 1:43:23 PM EDT
Thanks,

I am very interested in the results of your test with American Eagle!

I too have found BH 52gr HP to be more accurate than BH 68gr HP in my rifle for our reduced 100 yd matches. The problem is we pay around $220 per 1000 for BH 68gr through our club as CMP ammo while the best price I have found for the BH 52gr is $322. However, Ammoman has AE 50 gr HP for $229 per 1000 so if it is close to the BH, I was thinking of going that way. I've got a couple of boxes ordered to try myself but was just wondering what others were seeing.

Thanks,
Bill
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:19:45 PM EDT
Bill,

The Fed AE 50 gr .223 is very reliable and accurate ammo. Whether or not it is as accurate as the BH, I don't know. But it will get the job done.

On another note, I have a friend who uses this as his general purpose ammo. I keep telling him that lightweight load isn't any good for self defense or medium sized game. But he and his Mini-14 Ranch bring in a whitetail buck every year using this very ammo! I guess the deer don't know or care about the minor differences in bullet weight...lol.
Top Top