Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2002 11:33:41 AM EDT
With the Lake City stuff no longer being made available to the public from Federal, I have been thinking why some other ammo company doesn't simply make and sell loads to mil-specs.
As many people as there is who would love a new source for mil-spec M193 and M855, why doesn't some ammo maker such as Federal, Winchester, Remington, PMC, etc start making such a load? It wouldn't be that much more expensive to produce than the cheap FMJ that all of them put out anyway. And it sure would be better stuff than aging surplus that we know nothing about. What's the odds of some company making such a load and should we start contacting ammo companies with this request? Perhaps they think we have no interest in having bullets, velocities, and sealed ammo that meet mil-specs. Who knows? Maybe there is a good civilian market for this ammo.

---Charging Handle
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Also, let me add that I am aware that Winchester does have M193 spec stuff made available to the public under a contract with IMI. IMI also imports some good M855 into the country as well, but who knows how reliable this supply will be. This too may dry up someday. It would be nice to know there would be an alternate source for good ammo if all the mil-spec new production stuff suddenly became unavailable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
That's exactly what I have been thinking about the last couple of days.  I was actually thinking about calling an ammo manufacturer in order to pose this question.  I mean, I think there's a solid market for them to make money.  What's keeping them putting such a cartridge out there on the market?  Or are they hesitating from doing this cause, somehow, offering a "mil-spec" load causes some execs to worry?  What does everyone else think?
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You may consider contacting Wolf or S&B. Though they do not produce such items now they have the ability to do so and are more likely to respond to the current market changes. I contacted Wolf about a year ago about making .308 ammo- they responded that they would consider it. I was then contacted a month before they came out with the ammo and the rep said they were pleased to announce the new line of .308 ammo.
So it seems they respond to demand. Most companies now days especially american firearms companies are more geared toward police concerns and not of that of citizens. However overseas companies know that a majority of their ammo will be bought by civilians and would respond to that need. To tell the truth I only run the imported stuff through my weapons due to price issues and my lacking concerns for sub MOA grouping- though 1.5 MOA with Wolf is fine with me. I think that if people pressured these companies to step foward and fill the void left by Lake City and the drying up surplus they would be happy to do so.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Charging handle,
Dillon 650 or 1050.
www.patsreloading.com or Bartletts.

As long as there is brass available,you can have Mil.spec ammo with some work.

Don't forget that ammo from the RSA ain't too shabby either!

I got into stuffing my ownto save $$$$$ on a tight budget in Highschool.From there it's gotten almost as fun as shooting!

If you are serious,there are Camdex machines offered for sale every once in a while in the shotgun news.

Somehow,I think we are at a point where the next generation of good ammo is about to surface,and I really think it will come from the private side like from Black hills.

it's either that,or rely on the ruskies for cheap labor(And lots of spare extractors&frustration!).

best of luck to ya!

S-28

Link Posted: 9/19/2002 3:30:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Does anybody know where I could get some of the WOLF ammo in .308? Also is it .308 or 7.62 NATO?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Winchester also has new production of M855 MilSpec ammo available as well.  Unfortunately, they sell it under their Ranger label and it's only readily available to Law Enforcement Departments.

Sucks...wish they'd open it to the general public, but that's not politically correct.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Ammoman has all of the above listed ammo currently although I know it would be nice to have current avail ammo. I think the anti's would have a f'ing cow though.

UMC .223 is excellent IMO. I get great groups with it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top