Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2002 2:42:12 PM EDT
I shoot alot of surplus ammo(223+308)but have a new M1A with Douglas barrel coming and need to know best ammo for break in. Like some of the Black Hills stuff. Is that what the Moly ammo is for? Also does anyone have a favorite round that they shoot in 308?  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
For just general break in, I would just use some good quality surplus military loads. Find a type that uses a copper jacket though as opposed to steel if you are worried about excess wear. This should be as good as anything for breaking the gun in and it won't cost you a fortune.

One thing about moly bullets, don't use them unless that's what you plan to always shoot in your rifle. I had a couple of folks who are wiser than me tell me this. I can't remember exactly what the reason was, but I am sure it was something worth considering. Maybe someone else can chime in here with the details. I hope I'm not totally lost on this, but I am pretty sure I have heard this said before.

And yes, Black Hills loads some great ammo, but I would save the top notch stuff for serious shooting as it is gets very pricey after you buy a few boxes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#2]
These guys make most of the ammo for Ga. LE:

www.georgia-arms.com

Go to their Canned Heat section and scope out the G308M for some serious work and I bet you'll be surprised at the G308B.

They are highly respected by the guys at:
glocktalk.com/

Dave S

Had to come back and let you know......well, I am pretty much of a snot as to what I allow down my AR-10's, Kimber, Bushmaster, Glock, Browning Hi-Power bores.  I shoot a ton of G308M in my various 10(T)s and 10A4.  It is super clean and sub-MOA.

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#3]
For your match bbl:

You might think about a lap in........I mean there is/was a system of moly coated bullets that lapped the bbl.........made it nice and SMOOOOOTH, if you know what I mean.

If it wasn't a match bbl, I'd say use whatever you got.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top