Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Nice. Will you offer the premium reliability kit with the adjustable bolt as an option?
View Quote

Possibly.

Quoted:
Question from way out in left field:

Any possibility of a mold to cast a weight like this out of hard-ball lead alloy?  For those of us who cast our own boolits from lead alloys it could work quite nicely to add weight beyond what brass and stainless offers and if they get a little worn just melt them down and re-cast.
View Quote

You may be able to, but the lifespan would be extremely short.  The stainless with tungsten weights is heavier anyway, I believe.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One less available
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Two less available (I bought qty 2)
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Adjustable SS showed up. Have not had a chance to go out and play with. Just wanted to say the design and machining is top notch.

Very nice product.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been playing with the Ciener and now CMMG conversions for 35+ years in full auto. The original Ciener was very reliable but not accurate at all. I have the CMMG 4.5" and 16" uppers and had them running almost 100% a few years back. I switched to a Geisele SSF trigger and it worked until a spring and the trip broke and I've been having trouble getting it to run for a while. I determined that adding weight to the CMMG weight was the answer and welded a  bit on. I was going to add some more and stumbled on this thread. What a great product. Just placed my order and looking forward to testing this. Bob
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Adjustable SS showed up. Have not had a chance to go out and play with. Just wanted to say the design and machining is top notch.

Very nice product.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
My kit came in today. It is a first rate product. Came with 6 sets of weights. I hope to try it Thursday and I'll report back. Nice job Bore Buddy!
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Finally got out today to play with the cmmg with the bore buddy weight. It would not fire initially and I found my firing pin was broken. I replaced it and still nothing. Turns out the  geiselle SSF trigger has a long tail that was hitting the weight. I filed the weight a little bit and it works fantastic. I was a little skeptical about it being smoother but it definitely is. I put 200 flawless rounds through it in full auto. This is with the heaviest tungsten weights.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#9]
That is disappointing to hear. I have been preoccupied with Rzr riding and maintenance to test it out. I have to pull it out and see how it is different than the non adjustable SS weight. Hate to have to file on it but I’m not swapping out the SSF trigger just for it.

Thanks for the report.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 1:10:56 AM EDT
[#10]
We've got a few backplates in production to address this issue without filing for those with this trigger group.  Unfortunately, being based in CA, we did not have the opportunity to test this in a full auto configuration, much less with different FA trigger groups.  We're relying on user feedback to make improvements for the FA crowd.  

Until then, you should be able to modify only the plate, rather than the plate plus body as in the above photo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That is disappointing to hear. I have been preoccupied with Rzr riding and maintenance to test it out. I have to pull it out and see how it is different than the non adjustable SS weight. Hate to have to file on it but I’m not swapping out the SSF trigger just for it.

Thanks for the report.
View Quote

It really is simple to file it. I put a little magic marker on the weight, Dry fire a couple times and you can see exactly where it is hitting. Just keep doing that until there are no more marks. I am also not willing to give up my SSF trigger but it did make it a little harder for this set up. It is working perfectly now. And hard to believe but it is super smooth. Kind of like the difference in blowback and delayed 9mm.

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I went ahead and placed an order for the adjustable weight and some of the enhanced firing pins and springs.

Looking forward to doing some testing of the different weights and springs to see what I wind up settling with.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I got the parts in today.  Now I just need to sneak in a range trip sometime here in the near future.

I'm curious what some of you with the adjustable bolt weight have settled on weights wise?

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]

This is after filing/grinding for the full auto hammer to clear and with just the two larger stainless steel weights.  It’s Aguila SuperExtra 40 gr ammo
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I got the parts in today.  Now I just need to sneak in a range trip sometime here in the near future.

I'm curious what some of you with the adjustable bolt weight have settled on weights wise?

View Quote

I put in the tungsten ones and they worked so I left it alone. Locktite those screws when you settle on a weight.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#16]
All 4 Tungstens?
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All 4 Tungstens?
View Quote

Yes Sir!

The weights are labeled fairly accurately. I weighed them all and made a chart so I could play around if necessary but the heaviest set up worked right away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#18]
After reading all 5 pages of this thread, I'm in.  I built a 4.5" 22LR dedicated upper with the CMMG kit that is run suppressed exclusively.  I have a friend with a RDIAS that I was never able to get reliable with the CMMG trip and weight.  I'm hoping this fixes that issue.

I went ahead and got the firing pin, springs, buffer, insert, and got the FA plug as well.  This upper with my Form1 suppressor is nearly hollywood quiet and is tons of fun to shoot.  Now I just have to try and find some ammo....

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
After reading all 5 pages of this thread, I'm in.  I built a 4.5" 22LR dedicated upper with the CMMG kit that is run suppressed exclusively.  I have a friend with a RDIAS that I was never able to get reliable with the CMMG trip and weight.  I'm hoping this fixes that issue.

I went ahead and got the firing pin, springs, buffer, insert, and got the FA plug as well.  This upper with my Form1 suppressor is nearly hollywood quiet and is tons of fun to shoot.  Now I just have to try and find some ammo....

View Quote
You might have to try different trigger springs to get it to function with subsonic ammo. My 4.5" pistol with standard GI lower parts kit does not function well with CCI Standard velocity ammo after installing the bolt weight. Not a big deal for me since I do not run a suppressor and usually shoot CCI AR Tactical high velocity anyway.

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You might have to try different trigger springs to get it to function with subsonic ammo. My 4.5" pistol with standard GI lower parts kit does not function well with CCI Standard velocity ammo after installing the bolt weight. Not a big deal for me since I do not run a suppressor and usually shoot CCI AR Tactical high velocity anyway.

View Quote

Do you have the adjustable or fixed weight?  The adjustable should be able to be made light enough to run with most loads in a 4.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Heads up to the full auto crowd -- there are a few backplates with a short leg available.

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Do you have the adjustable or fixed weight?  The adjustable should be able to be made light enough to run with most loads in a 4.5" barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is the fix weight. You suggested that I try a reduced hammer spring if I wanted to run standard velocity earlier in this thread (page 3). I don't plan on running a suppressor and the pistol still works great with high velocity CCI ammo.

I only mentioned my problems with the fixed stainless weight in a 4.5" upper with subsonic ammo to srsimmons so that he was aware that he could possibly have issues. I know that your reply to my post about having problems that you said I was probably running at the very edge reliability with my GI FCG and the 4.5" barrel.

I do have to say that I like your bolt weight and the few other 22AR products that I have bought from you (Bore Buddy). The threads here and over at rimfirecentral have been very informative.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, I generally make that recommendation -- a reduced hammer spring is good insurance for the fixed weight and a short barrel.  Many 4.5" barreled uppers will not cycle well with a full power spring and the fixed weight with anything but high velocity ammo.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mine is the fix weight. You suggested that I try a reduced hammer spring if I wanted to run standard velocity earlier in this thread (page 3). I don't plan on running a suppressor and the pistol still works great with high velocity CCI ammo.

I only mentioned my problems with the fixed stainless weight in a 4.5" upper with subsonic ammo to srsimmons so that he was aware that he could possibly have issues. I know that your reply to my post about having problems that you said I was probably running at the very edge reliability with my GI FCG and the 4.5" barrel.

I do have to say that I like your bolt weight and the few other 22AR products that I have bought from you (Bore Buddy). The threads here and over at rimfirecentral have been very informative.
View Quote

There is no reason to use standard or subsonic ammo with a barrel under 5”. That is the reason for the 4.5”.  Almost everything is subsonic from them. Just get some cci blazer and roll with it.

Ammo, springs, weights. Lots of variables with these set ups.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There is no reason to use standard or subsonic ammo with a barrel under 5". That is the reason for the 4.5".  Almost everything is subsonic from them. Just get some cci blazer and roll with it.

Ammo, springs, weights. Lots of variables with these set ups.
View Quote
I'll stick with CCI AR Tactical ammo that I have since it is pretty accurate in my 4.5" pistol and my 16" carbine. The 4.5" works just fine with either CCI Mini Mags or AR Tactical and the fixed bolt weight.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:19:50 AM EDT
[#26]
My adjustable weight version with full tungsten weights works perfectly with my 4.5" build suppressed with an Octane 9. Huge difference in port pop!

For those wondering, I am using 2x 2 1/4" threaded extension from Hughes precision under the handguard, then 3lug flash hider at the end. I got tired of moving cans over and I had an extra Octane sitting around from BOGO Rockset on everything, good torque, No baffle strikes
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#27]
This is a great thread. I am just starting to accumulate parts for an upper I am going to share with a pistol lower. I am going to cut down a 16" barrel and make a pistol with a 607 clone upper. Looks like I will have some Bore Buddy parts going into it!

What my build will look like except with a SBM4 lower I share with my 5.56.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Very cool idea, looks like I will be ordering one soon. Maybe I missed it but how is this installed by the user on the bolt assembly?
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Heads up to the full auto crowd -- there are a few backplates with a short leg available.

View Quote

@Renaissancemann, are any of these still available for the full auto crowd?
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 1:42:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Ive kept up with the thread but I guess i havent seen a concise answer.

I have a 8.5in barrel. What weight should I get. Mostly semi but I know itll end up getting worked over in FA eventually.

Mostly wanting to drop the port pop with subsonic. If it only cycled bulk after that I guess im okay with it, depends on how loud it is once the port pop is calmed down.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@Renaissancemann, are any of these still available for the full auto crowd?
View Quote

Yes, there are a couple left.  

Quoted:
Ive kept up with the thread but I guess i havent seen a concise answer.

I have a 8.5in barrel. What weight should I get. Mostly semi but I know itll end up getting worked over in FA eventually.

Mostly wanting to drop the port pop with subsonic. If it only cycled bulk after that I guess im okay with it, depends on how loud it is once the port pop is calmed down.
View Quote

If you're going to shoot subs in anything less than a 16" barrel, or full auto is in the future, the adjustable is the only way to fly.  It can be varied from about 1.3oz to 2.8oz and ensures that you'll get perfectly tuned function once you get the weights setup how your gun "likes".
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 1:55:54 AM EDT
[#32]
I "finally" had some time to be able to go play with the adjustable weight.  For me running all 4 tungstens didn't work out quite well with CCI standard velocity which was all I had out with me. It would attempt to chamber but not quite get all the way back into battery about half of the time. I'll have to try some high velocity stuff and see if that has just enough more oomph.  I wound up reducing the weight a touch pulling the 2 smaller tungstens and replaced them with the SS ones and that did the trick.  In binary mode mag dumps were then no problem.  The reduced port pop is definitely noticeable.  I'll have to bring some different loads out next time other than CCI standard to experiment some more but so far I'm very pleased with my initial outing with the adjustable weight.

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Advertising & selling without a dealer account.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top