Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:50:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone try a buffer in a full auto?

If not, I'd give one a shot. (pun intended)
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What was the approximate round count before failure?
View Quote

Probably 800 to 1000.  Sorry didn't really think to keep tabs on the buffer piece.  Most of that was us just having fun mag dumping one afternoon.

Upper had gotten pretty dirty so I decided to give a good cleaning when I got home and that is when I discovered the 3d printed piece was in 2 pieces.  I have no idea when it actually failed. The upper never stopped running on us. So it could have failed much sooner.  When mag dumping like that you don't really notice the benefit of it being quieter anyway but you still have the benefit of eliminating metal to metal contact.  

I've thrown in the second proto piece you had sent me but I've not put any rounds on it yet.  I guess going forward I'll try and make a point to deliberately stop maybe every 100 rounds fired and crack it open to see how it fares and if it does start to fail have a more accurate round count for you.  

I'm looking forward to purchasing some production pieces for sure.  Keep us updated when they are officially available. Will be interesting to see how the delrin material holds up compared to the 3d printed plastic.  Excited to try it.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Think I got 3 of the Delrin buffer pressure plates from you, OP?  Nicely machined.

The boy's CMMG/Stag adapter is left-eject - will these buffers fit his adapter?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone try a buffer in a full auto?

If not, I'd give one a shot. (pun intended)
View Quote

Just got 2 new .22 cans and if I shoot with my buddy this weekend I'll do some fa testing
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I've put several hundred rounds on the newest revision of printed buffer with very little damage to it.  My problem is that I'll revise the design before I get any large round counts on any one part before exchanging it for an updated and improved version.  800 rounds seems like a pretty reasonable guess for the failure point of a printed buffer.  I should have samples of the production buffer (probably around 50 or so) in hand within a week, and I'll probably release some for testing to a few folks here as we work on producing a bunch of them.  They're being molded using a rubber toughened grade of delrin that has great impact strength.  The printed plastic should prove to be vastly inferior to the production models, so hopefully we'll see 1000+ rounds to failure per buffer.  They are a wear item, but I'm shooting for less than a quarter cent per shot cost to run the production buffers.

As far as a left handed upper, worst case you'll have to clip the little alignment tab off to make it fit.  Best case, the cutout on the rear of the bolt is still on the same side and it will drop right in.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds good. Keep us updated.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Just tried my 10.5" ar22 w/o the bounce weight or sear trip and it seems quieter with the plastic buffer than without it
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have some of OP new buffers but have not had a chance to test them. The last set I had I will call them Gen 1 worked great but did not provide constant bolt lock back with the Boonie packer "A better Mag Adapter" and S&W MP22 mags.

Over all I consider the buffer a must if you are a suppressed shooter.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ll be interested to try one of these when they are done. A buffer definitely helps on suppressed guns. I have been running a small rubber O ring on my recoil spring for many years for this reason. It finally gave up the ghost a few months ago when I was cleaning the kit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Was able to put a few rounds down range with the Gen2 buffer. Had 100% lock back with my SBR.

My other AR22 is currently awaiting to be chopped so couldn’t try it in it.

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried one today. Didn't notice any difference in sound.
Shot a mag without then with the buffer. With the buffer the 1st 2 rounds fed but did not fire.
Removed the buffer, worked fine, put it back in and same thing.

Using S&W 25rnd mags and CCI standard velocity.

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I tried one today. Didn't notice any difference in sound.
Shot a mag without then with the buffer. With the buffer the 1st 2 rounds fed but did not fire.
Removed the buffer, worked fine, put it back in and same thing.

Using S&W 25rnd mags and CCI standard velocity.

View Quote

Strange on the FTF -- I've not experienced that.  As a sidenote, you likely you got the first revision (thicker) buffers that have some issues with the better mag adapter and the S&W mags.  The production version has been revised to correct that issue.  

I got the first samples off the press in hand today:

The ejector pins are going to be adjusted to avoid the recessed pin marks, and the gates will probably be adjusted to eliminate the very minor flow/knit lines, and then we're going to run production.  Hopefully within a week or so!
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought these about a month ago, were they the thicker version around that time?
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Strange on the FTF -- I've not experienced that.  As a sidenote, you likely you got the first revision (thicker) buffers that have some issues with the better mag adapter and the S&W mags.  The production version has been revised to correct that issue.  

I got the first samples off the press in hand today:

https://i.ibb.co/kDHPSQK/20200410-164615.jpg

The ejector pins are going to be adjusted to avoid the recessed pin marks, and the gates will probably be adjusted to eliminate the very minor flow/knit lines, and then we're going to run production.  Hopefully within a week or so!
View Quote

Those look nice!

In this video I’m running a buffer and the charging handle filler.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's the production version after 200 rounds of high velocity ammo:

The groove is about 0.01" deep, which matches the depth of those ejector pin marks.  The groove was about that deep after the first magazine was fired (10 rounds), and then did not get noticeably deeper.  Correcting the 0.01 depth of those ejector pin marks should help resolve this.  Buffer life should easily get past 1000 rounds.  I'm sending out a few test pieces to my original testers to torture with binary triggers and full auto.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Fortunately I'm furloughed from work at the moment thanks to the pandemic so I should be able to knock out some binary testing right away.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Your package will go out tomorrow.  It's nice that we have hobbies for times like this to keep us sane. With work being basically shut down for me as well, I can tinker more too, which is a silver lining.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#18]
My carrier is ready.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Not gonna throw my hat into the testing pool, but will say that Renaissance’s stuff is top notch. I bought one of his buffers and would buy again if I build another .22 AR.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought these about a month ago, were they the thicker version around that time?
View Quote

Yes, all prototypes (up to this date) are all the thicker versions.  Production buffers will be widely available on Monday, and they are the thinned and optimized versions molded from a very tough material.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 1:55:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Had a chance to hit the range today and put some rounds via the binary on the new buffer piece.  I'll hopefully on Sunday get to spend some more time on it but so far looking good from the limited time I had with it this afternoon.  I was also able to run the replacement springs from CMMG on my 9mm upper I was having some issues with. I'm hoping it sorts that one out.  So far so good on that front.  Good day at the range this afternoon.

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:16:43 AM EDT
[#22]
If you're still taking testers, I'd be will.  I put a lot of rounds through an AR22.  To date, I've been using extractor o-rings as buffers and they work well, but I'm always looking for something better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I have 7 .22 AR type rifles, I shoot them suppressed 90% of the time.
I would enjoy the chance to beta test a buffer.

However, the Sig 522 needs a buffer. They can run CCI quiet ammo reliability.
But the bolt clack is quite noticeable. I would beta test one in a second.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 2:00:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you're still taking testers, I'd be will.  I put a lot of rounds through an AR22.  To date, I've been using extractor o-rings as buffers and they work well, but I'm always looking for something better.
View Quote

Same here! They last a good bit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Guys/gals, the testing period is over but the production buffers are available now.  We filed patent paperwork and are perfecting on a couple companion products that will complete the sets of rimfire tuning parts.  We'll probably be making a "deluxe" reliability kit bundle very soon.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Not at liberty to say anything about whats next in the pipeline but its worth the wait.  I have a production buffer piece in hand and they are nice. We put one through its paces yesterday and it held up nicely.  Purchase with confidence.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Video of us putting the final version production piece through it's paces.  Enjoy.  

22AR with Dead Air Mask, Franklin Armory BFS3, Bore Buddy accessory upgrades.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Im interested in your buffers as well, awesome work!

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top