AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alright...Need some wisdom.

What bolts are people using that function so well?
View Quote
I'm using the United Defense Labs 9mm bolt. It's about $90 from Davidson Defense. I'm using it with generic AR-15 upper and lower receivers, a Faxon barrel, and Gen2 P-Mags with the EndoMag inserts. The bolt doesn't chew up my P-Mags. The EndoMag inserts didn't need any modification. Everything worked properly right out of the box.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm using the United Defense Labs 9mm bolt. It's about $90 from Davidson Defense. I'm using it with generic AR-15 upper and lower receivers, a Faxon barrel, and Gen2 P-Mags with the EndoMag inserts. The bolt doesn't chew up my P-Mags. The EndoMag inserts didn't need any modification. Everything worked properly right out of the box.

Hope that helps.
View Quote
@Blacktree

Thank you for the post.

Does yours function with hollow points?

ETA: Could you snap a photo of the underside of your bolt?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What bolts are people using that function so well?
View Quote
I have zero problems with unmodified Endomags running the CMMG RDB bolt system shipped in the CMMG Banshee upper except a full mag will not lock in, have to take out one round.  The Guard is the same system so it should also work.

I have only had one failure to feed over a couple hundred rounds so far using CCI Blazer Brass 115 gr. FMJ 9mm in M3 Pmags.

It has been reported in here that Federal 9BPLE (+P+) hollow points work well although I haven't had a chance to try them yet.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Any who.  Regarding single 9mm ammo left in the magazine and it locking back.  I reviewed the images and the solution.  I think I have one magazine working, meaning it works but needs more testing.  I had time to do another, but I can't get it to work.  I know I need to file off more material.  What I am doing is filing, checking, filing checking.  What will happen if I file too much?  Wont lock back at all?  At that point I absolutely will send it back to Mean Arms, however, don't want that to happen.

Am I on track?
View Quote
Yeah..but don't go crazy..if you've seen my pictures it is very slight.  Just use a razor blade or sharp knife...It is very slight...not a big deal.
Yeah if you do too much it won't lock back on the last round but I think you'd have to do a lot to do that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah..but don't go crazy..if you've seen my pictures it is very slight.  Just use a razor blade or sharp knife...It is very slight...not a big deal.
Yeah if you do too much it won't lock back on the last round but I think you'd have to do a lot to do that.
View Quote
Good to know.  As an aside, I’m using a metal file and it doesn’t take much off at all.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted: Does yours function with hollow points?
View Quote
As mentioned previously, it runs Federal 115grn JHP (+P+) with no issues. I picked up some 124grn JHP to test as well. We'll see how that goes.

Side Note: Should I start a build thread?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As mentioned previously, it runs Federal 115grn JHP (+P+) with no issues. I picked up some 124grn JHP to test as well. We'll see how that goes.

Side Note: Should I start a build thread?
View Quote
Please report back here on the JHP's.  Very interested to see if earlier problems folks had can be eliminated with different ammo.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
... I believe that the PMAG forces the bolt up as it nears the chamber and no amount of tweaks on the Endomag will help.
View Quote
I noticed the Pmag slightly presses up on my bolt as well (CMMG RDB bolt). When I rack the bolt with no mag, there is no friction entering the buffer tube. With an endomag, there is a slight deflection to enter the buffer tube, causing some friction.

However, with the speed and weight of the bolt slamming home, I doubt it would be influenced much. But if that's the case, a full endomag would have higher pressure pushing up on the bolt, more likely to jam. Risk of jam decreasing with every shot, and as the spring wears in.

Might be interesting to test a full mag, shoot 5, then reload. See what jam frequency you get over 100 or so.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted: I noticed the Pmag slightly presses up on my bolt as well (CMMG RDB bolt).
View Quote
Mine doesn't do that. The cutouts in the bottom of the bolt fit over the top of the magazine perfectly. It's almost as if the bolt was made to clear an AR-15 magazine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mine doesn't do that. The cutouts in the bottom of the bolt fit over the top of the magazine perfectly. It's almost as if the bolt was made to clear an AR-15 magazine.
View Quote
Hah, you're right, it's not the pmag itself making contact with the bolt. One of my mags pushes up on the bolt more than the others, follower to round to bolt, causing the slight tilt and friction. Now that you mention this, it's probably more of a seating issue in the lower. I swapped the shell for one that matched the others, and friction seems to be reduced with a single round.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Tested another 100 rounds today, FM 115g RN new. Fired 5 rounds from a full endomag (29 rnds) 19 times. 2 jams out of 95 rounds, same mag, first two times used, no issues after that. So the pressure on the bolt from a full mag isn't much worse.

I beveled and polished the rear of the bolt to reduce friction entering the buffer tube, and oiled everything well.

I did notice that the last round of each mag, after chambered 2-3 times started to sink into the casing about halfway to jam levels of COAL. I stopped re-chambering after that.

Jammed COAL: 1.0250", 1.0315
Re-chambered COAL: 1.1025, 1.0835, 1.0765
New In Box COAL: 1.1480, 1.1500, 1.1485

At what point are these not safe to fire? I shot a couple of the re-chambered rounds with no issue, probably re-chambered once. The three left over looked the worst, so I didn't use them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
In a blowback rifle?  Anything overpressure just opens the bolt a little faster.  In a locked breech pistol things can go very wrong - but generally don't.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In a blowback rifle?  Anything overpressure just opens the bolt a little faster.  In a locked breech pistol things can go very wrong - but generally don't.
View Quote
Overpressure with a blowback gun can cause some pretty remarkable - and dangerous - situations.  For example, with a load that's too hot, and the case can shred while it's being extracted.  It's kind of important to keep "how hot" in the discussion.  +P+ is probably not a good idea in most AR9s, even with a really heavy buffer and stiff spring...
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#14]
You really have to work at blowing up blowback pccs.  There have been several cases of multiple squibs in a pcc bbl.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hah, you're right, it's not the pmag itself making contact with the bolt. One of my mags pushes up on the bolt more than the others, follower to round to bolt, causing the slight tilt and friction. Now that you mention this, it's probably more of a seating issue in the lower. I swapped the shell for one that matched the others, and friction seems to be reduced with a single round.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bolt, as it curls down near the cut out for the hammer, very slightly rises up on the PMAG. There are two corresponding impact marks on the PMAG from this interaction during firing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My bolt, as it curls down near the cut out for the hammer, very slightly rises up on the PMAG. There are two corresponding impact marks on the PMAG from this interaction during firing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you using a straight blowback setup?  I think 'J4C3' mentioned he was using a CMMG Guard Radially delayed blowback configuration as am I.  I am not seeing any kind of friction/rubbing w/ any of my Endomags and the CMMG Guard setup.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Overpressure with a blowback gun can cause some pretty remarkable - and dangerous - situations.  For example, with a load that's too hot, and the case can shred while it's being extracted.  It's kind of important to keep "how hot" in the discussion.  +P+ is probably not a good idea in most AR9s, even with a really heavy buffer and stiff spring...
View Quote
I wanted to try some of that Federal 9BPLE since it was reported here that it feeds ok.  I sent an inquiry to CMMG to check on the Guard/Banshee re. if they are gtg with +P+.  I'll post their reply tomorrow.

Can someone remind me about ejection pattern?  Does too far back (5-6) mean too heavy buffer/spring or too light?  My pattern is too close to my ear (5) and I'm a lefty.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I wanted to try some of that Federal 9BPLE since it was reported here that it feeds ok.  I sent an inquiry to CMMG to check on the Guard/Banshee re. if they are gtg with +P+.  I'll post their reply tomorrow.

Can someone remind me about ejection pattern?  Does too far back (5-6) mean too heavy buffer/spring or too light?  My pattern is too close to my ear (5) and I'm a lefty.
View Quote
I would ignore ejection pattern on the Guard system...it is erratic...just be happy it ejects
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are you using a straight blowback setup?  I think 'J4C3' mentioned he was using a CMMG Guard Radially delayed blowback configuration as am I.  I am not seeing any kind of friction/rubbing w/ any of my Endomags and the CMMG Guard setup.
View Quote
No, I’m using a built upper. Ballistic Advantage barrel, Spinta Precision bolt.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#20]
--RANGE REPORT--

I took the 9mm AR to the range, to zero the sights and test out some more JHP ammo. The results were encouraging. I fired 20 rounds of Freedom Munitions 124grn JHP (with XTP bullets). All rounds fed, fired, and ejected properly. I also ran another 10 rounds of the Federal 9BPLE through it, and picked up all the spent casings. There was no damage or deformation of the casings. They looked perfectly normal.

I also fired 50 rounds of FMJ. On one instance, the bolt locked back with 1 round left in the magazine. But that only happened once. Aside from that, there were no malfunctions.

So far, the EndoMags have been pretty reliable. I've put about 150 rounds through them so far, with only one malfunction (the premature BHO). For a range toy, that's perfectly acceptable.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
--RANGE REPORT--

I took the 9mm AR to the range, to zero the sights and test out some more JHP ammo. The results were encouraging. I fired 20 rounds of Freedom Munitions 124grn JHP (with XTP bullets). All rounds fed, fired, and ejected properly. I also ran another 10 rounds of the Federal 9BPLE through it, and picked up all the spent casings. There was no damage or deformation of the casings. They looked perfectly normal.

I also fired 50 rounds of FMJ. On one instance, the bolt locked back with 1 round left in the magazine. But that only happened once. Aside from that, there were no malfunctions.

So far, the EndoMags have been pretty reliable. I've put about 150 rounds through them so far, with only one malfunction (the premature BHO). For a range toy, that's perfectly acceptable.
View Quote
I have had FTF/FTE etc. occasionally with just about every firearm I have owned but I will certainly keep a more tried and true system at the ready for HD.   I'm curious at what point (if ever) the Endomag can be be trusted enough (for specific builds) to become more than a range toy.  Couple thousand rounds without a malfunction perhaps?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I built my 9mm AR as a range toy. Having a range toy that's reliable is nice. That's basically all I meant.

As for how many rounds would make me trust it as a HD weapon? I don't know. Ask 5 people that question, and you'll probably get 10 different answers.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You really have to work at blowing up blowback pccs.  There have been several cases of multiple squibs in a pcc bbl.
View Quote
Blowing up the gun?  Yeah, that's hard.  Fragging folks around you (and yourself) with shattered brass isn't quite as difficult...

I had ONE squib in my 9mm AR.  The next round (yes, I didn't notice the squib) bent the upper, broke the bolt catch, and almost made me soil myself.  The barrel was undamaged, but I had to replace the upper itself.  This was with mild loads.

It is never a good idea to think of a gun as impervious to any form of damage from problems like squibs or overloads.  It makes you complacent, and complacence is BAD when you're dealing with firearms.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#24]
CMMG tech support says +P+ is good to go with Guard/Banshee uppers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
CMMG tech support says +P+ is good to go with Guard/Banshee uppers.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.
View Quote
Bryan at CMMG said they are very impressed with the Guard/Banshee version Endomag.

Also I have not noticed any feed ramp wear so far.  My original thought on it being too soft was wrong apparently.  I haven't tried any hollow points yet and that may make a difference.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm really happy with my Endomags so far.  Been running the 8 of the Guard versions almost every weekend in full auto.  No jams that I can blame on them...occasionally have it not feed a round but that could be from my tuning of the Guard
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Also I have not noticed any feed ramp wear so far.  My original thought on it being too soft was wrong apparently.
View Quote
I'm not seeing any feed ramp wear, either. Although I did notice the feed ramp has a layer of soot buildup. I'm not used to seeing soot buildup in the magazine. I guess that's due to the blowback action? The first inch or so of the bolt also has soot buildup on it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm not seeing any feed ramp wear, either. Although I did notice the feed ramp has a layer of soot buildup. I'm not used to seeing soot buildup in the magazine. I guess that's due to the blowback action? The first inch or so of the bolt also has soot buildup on it.
View Quote
Are you also running suppressed?

I'm not seeing any kind of soot buildup on mine.  I am running suppressed and unsuppresssed full auto but also running the Guard which suppresses better than a blowback...much less port 'pop' and less fouling since it is delayed.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Not running suppressed. I'm also running an 8oz buffer and Wolff extra power buffer spring.

Edit to add: and my setup is straight blowback.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Also I have not noticed any feed ramp wear so far.  My original thought on it being too soft was wrong apparently.  I haven't tried any hollow points yet and that may make a difference.
View Quote
I'm seeing some wear at the start of the feed ramp. It looks like the case is biting as it starts to feed. I'm guessing this will wear in, but wondering if I could file it down a little, radius it a bit to smooth it out?

There is also a little wear at the very front of the feed ramp, but I don't think that's doing much. It's pretty minor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ihivat43q4ukknw/endomag_feed_lips.jpeg?dl=0

ETA: dropbox image won't display, switched to link.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm seeing some wear at the start of the feed ramp. It looks like the case is biting as it starts to feed. I'm guessing this will wear in, but wondering if I could file it down a little, radius it a bit to smooth it out?

There is also a little wear at the very front of the feed ramp, but I don't think that's doing much. It's pretty minor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ihivat43q4ukknw/endomag_feed_lips.jpeg?dl=0
View Quote
I think you’re right about the rear of the ramp.  It looks like the case mouth is catching the ramp, causing that little gouge.  The front part doesn’t seem to be much of an issue either.

I think you’d be good with just sanding the little gouges on the rear of the ramps.  You only need to smooth those areas, and aim for a nice radius.

Editz; I messed up on a word and I couldn’t just leave it...  
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think your right about the rear of the ramp.  It looks like the case mouth is catching the ramp, causing that little gouge.  The front part doesn’t seem to be much of an issue either.

I think you’d be good with just sanding the little gouges on the rear of the ramps.  You only need to smooth those areas, and aim for a nice radius.
View Quote
Maybe spray some Teflon on the feed ramp to cut friction?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah, I'll take it very slow. It doesn't need much depth to clear.

Quoted:
Maybe spray some Teflon on the feed ramp to cut friction?
I'll have to pick some up and try if clearing the edge isn't enough.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#35]
No visible wear so far on the Guard Version Endomag feed ramps with CCI Blazer Brass 115 gr. FMJ.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No visible wear so far on the Guard Version Endomag feed ramps with CCI Blazer Brass 115 gr. FMJ.
View Quote
+1, no wear for me either with the Guard version.  Almost 100% reloads with mixed brass for me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I would ignore ejection pattern on the Guard system...it is erratic...just be happy it ejects
View Quote
Wise words.  Made me laugh anyways.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#38]
One of my Endomags had that problem of the case mouth catching the feed ramp. It wasn't that subtle though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
One of my Endomags had that problem of the case mouth catching the feed ramp. It wasn't that subtle though.
View Quote
What is different on that one?  Anything visible?  Pic?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Same here.
View Quote
Pics please.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Guard system, Endomags.  110rds of Magtech.  0 issues (aside from being unable to lock in a full mag on a closed bolt).

Video
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I apologize if someone mentioned this I read the thread and didnt see it. I have some endomags and have just been tinkering at home, haven't fired yet. Has anyone had issues with a foxtrot Mike's colt upper seating the mags? No matter how hard I drive it home it wont seat. If I open the upper it will seat the mag then I can close the upper on it but have to really squeeze it home. Then it will technically cycle. Not sure what's catching it, must be something with the bolt. Anyone had the endomag work with a foxtrot mikes?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I apologize if someone mentioned this I read the thread and didnt see it. I have some endomags and have just been tinkering at home, haven't fired yet. Has anyone had issues with a foxtrot Mike's colt upper seating the mags? No matter how hard I drive it home it wont seat. If I open the upper it will seat the mag then I can close the upper on it but have to really squeeze it home. Then it will technically cycle. Not sure what's catching it, must be something with the bolt. Anyone had the endomag work with a foxtrot mikes?
View Quote
Did you take out one round and try again?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Did you take out one round and try again?
View Quote
I had it as 29 but I took out another to 28 and it worked. I'll have to see if there's something about the bolt and takes up a little more room or something.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I had it as 29 but I took out another to 28 and it worked. I'll have to see if there's something about the bolt and takes up a little more room or something.
View Quote
There may be a tweak all of us can make somewhere to get the full 30 to work.  If you figure it out that would be great.  I'll bet Mean Arms will give you a new one if your tweaks don't work.  The varied equipment customers are testing is helping them learn a lot about compatibility.  Wouldn't be surprised if they are planning upgrades already.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#47]
-- RANGE REPORT #2 --

I had an early day at work, and decided to hit the firing range. This time around, I brought some 147 grain ammo: American Eagle 147grn FMJ (flat-nosed) and PPU 147grn JHP. Long story short, I fired 20 rounds of each through the 9mm AR without issue.

So far, this gun has fired 115, 124, and 147 grain bullets in both FMJ and JHP, with no major issues. However, there are a couple minor issues I noticed with the EndoMags. First of all, inserting a loaded mag with the bolt closed can be difficult. But loading mags with the bolt open isn't a big deal. Second of all, the magazine springs are so stiff that with a full mag (or close to full), the bolt can't fully chamber a round. I only load the magazines to 20 rounds, to avoid that issue.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Second of all, the magazine springs are so stiff that with a full mag (or close to full), the bolt can't fully chamber a round. I only load the magazines to 20 rounds, to avoid that issue.
View Quote
I am not having that issue...but I am using the CMMG Guard system not blowback.  I load to 30.  Have some issue as others not being able to seat mag when loaded to 30 with bolt forward.  No issues with bolt back or loading to 29.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:52:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I've ran 200 plus rounds of 124 grain nato and 158 grain fiocchi subs through a registered full auto lower with no malfunctions using 3 separate endomags.  Upper is a home build using a 9mm Bolt from Rudy at Macon Armory, matrix arms 9mm side charger, and a spikes 9mm buffer.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Has anyone tried these with 45 GAP rounds?

I would love to build a DI45 GAP if these mags were an option
Page / 18
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top