Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought both the C-9 PDW and the C-5 PDW. My FFL liked the C-9 PDW so much I let him buy it. Now I have sellers remorse:)
I have not shot the C-5 PDW version enough to compare it with the traditional buffer style C-5 yet. Hopefully this weekend I can get to the range and compare the two. At this point, I would compare the recoil with my CZ Scorpion. But, I have only fired about 30 rounds in the back yard.
On my traditional C-5, I bought the lower stripped. I am using the BFS III trigger, Taccom3g extreme BCG with a armaspec stealth recoil spring for 9mm. In order to run the Stealth spring, you need a BCG that has removable weights. I can say that I do like the Stealth spring.
The only issue I have had with the C-5 was the ejector got loose and caused some hiccups. But that was a easy fix. I can outrun the trigger in binary mode if im trying to drop a full mag. But it has been flawless doing double taps. And thats all I care about.
The stock trigger on the C-5 PDW feels just like a milspec trigger. Prob. 6 to 6.5lb pull.
I will take a photo of the C-5 PDW's BCG and try to post it.
I bought a NFA C-9 80% lower a couple years back and put a POF single stage cassette trigger in it and it was going full auto on me. I pulled it and installed a rock river 2 stage. No problems now. I learned that AR-9's don't like aftermarket non mil-spec hammers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]
[/img]
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
" />
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#6]
[/img]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Every fucking time, just built a buffer 9mm. Even worse just paid off all the CC’s, so on that beautiful build ??
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#8]
When I first saw the C-5 PDW version @ $750.00 for a complete billet package I could not resist.
Hows Your sexy build running? Have You had any issues or hiccups?
I have a couple KCI gen 2 mags they fit a little looser than I would prefer, but I have not run into issues at this point. I can only say that for my Traditional C-5, as I have barely got a chance to play with the PDW yet.
I bought a ETS mag and sanded down the ridges like Erik posted in this thread. I took my time and removed  just enough to make it fit. I have had no problems with it.
I want a couple POF mags.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I also wanted to mention that there is a set screw on the lower receiver that you can adjust/remove the slop between the upper and lower with.
You have to remove the pistol grip to get access to it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#10]
[/img]
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#11]
@philcoates  That is one sweet looking setup.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank You Sir :)
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#13]
@philcoates

Great setup, and thanks for the response and close in pics of the bcg and recoil system.

I didn’t even know they were releasing that rig when I built mine.  My build is super smooth and feels like a 22, the recoil is so light, between the extra heavy buffer and weighted bcg, but I’d like to compare it to the PDW system.  Also wonder how it compares to a Sig MPX, which is likely my next purchase.  Have had my eye on the 8” barrel build for ages and now they are discontinued and pretty cheap, around $1300.

Ah, we’ll see.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#14]
So an update of sorts. I got most of my parts and after messing around with them, you DO need the gibbz cam pin. it keeps the CMMG bolt from rotating in the carrier when the bolt strips a round from the magazine. you'll also need to remove the ejector from the C5 lower, and remove an 1/8'' off the top of the feed ramps.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#15]
For those who expressed an interest' POF MP5 mags are now available for $35 at this site.  They just got 800 in stock, with 334 people on notice so they will go fast.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3181

Grab em while you can!
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For those who expressed an interest' POF MP5 mags are now available for $35 at this site.  They just got 800 in stock, with 334 people on notice so they will go fast.

Grab em while you can!
View Quote
Every damn time... Just picked up 3 for well... Not that cheap!

ETA

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad to see internals of the PDW, I am really interested in once since I had a scorpion but it just seemed kinda bulky and I wasn't a fan of the mags.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Grab em while you can!
View Quote
WTF I signed up for email notification for them a month ago and got nothing yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, didn’t expect them to sell out within a couple hours!  I got 2, which brings me to 7 mags total, between KCI, POF and ETS.  Not sure why you didn’t get the email notice.  That sucks, sorry.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Stumbled on this killer deal while looking for handguards for a new upper.  This is an insane discount on a Seekins Precision 9” handguard for $100.  You can even use a code for an additional $10 off.  The code is MARCODEAL10.

So that’s $90, for a $170 handguard!  Get it while you can.  I might just grab some to sell on eBay.

https://www.capitolarmory.com/seekins-precision-mcsr-v2-mod-rail-handguard.html
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#21]
@andromax not sure if you've test fired your setup yet but mine was a pretty bad fail today. every other round was a failure to eject.

ETA: after more testing, the only time I can get somewhat reliable function is when I fully load a 30rd mag with 124gr Nato. even then I only get through half the mag before the failure to eject show up again.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 11:27:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@andromax not sure if you've test fired your setup yet but mine was a pretty bad fail today. every other round was a failure to eject.

ETA: after more testing, the only time I can get somewhat reliable function is when I fully load a 30rd mag with 124gr Nato. even then I only get through half the mag before the failure to eject show up again.
View Quote
No I still havent finished it. Not ejecting, is the empty brass still chambered?

Is it extracting?

What buffer weight/spring are you using? If you're using a heavier 9mm buffer/spring it might be too much. The delayed blowback i believe calls for a typical lighter 5.56 buffer/spring
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No I still havent finished it. Not ejecting, is the empty brass still chambered?

Is it extracting?

What buffer weight/spring are you using? If you're using a heavier 9mm buffer/spring it might be too much. The delayed blowback i believe calls for a typical lighter 5.56 buffer/spring
View Quote
it's definitely extracting, it just doesn't get rid of the spent case before the bcg comes forward with a fresh round. it usually results in a stove pipe or a hard stoppage where the bolt has tried to feed the fresh round and empty case into the chamber. I'm running a Maxim PDW brace with their standard ar15 buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

it's definitely extracting, it just doesn't get rid of the spent case before the bcg comes forward with a fresh round. it usually results in a stove pipe or a hard stoppage where the bolt has tried to feed the fresh round and empty case into the chamber. I'm running a Maxim PDW brace with their standard ar15 buffer and spring.
View Quote
Read through this thread, could be a weak ejector spring. I dont think you should be having issues with your hardware. Everything else seems to be working well.

CMMG Guard ejection issues
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Read through this thread, could be a weak ejector spring. I dont think you should be having issues with your hardware. Everything else seems to be working well.

CMMG Guard ejection issues
View Quote
Okay after reading that thread I replaced the ejector spring, the new one I put in was roughly 2mm longer then the factory piece. I'll do some more test firing and let you know. I'm hoping it's not the fact that the gibbz upper doesn't have the full 5.56 ejection port, like most cmmg guard setups I see.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Well the new ejector spring didn't help, failures to eject like crazy. I got to looking at the back of the ejection port and it looks scared up from brass trying to eject, so I thought to myself maybe the carrier is traveling too far rearward. I put a 1" nylon spacer at the rear of the buffer tube and now it runs 100% (at least for the 3 mags I put through it). so I'm not sure what did it, reducing the carrier travel or the added spring pressure from the spacer.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well the new ejector spring didn't help, failures to eject like crazy. I got to looking at the back of the ejection port and it looks scared up from brass trying to eject, so I thought to myself maybe the carrier is traveling too far rearward. I put a 1" nylon spacer at the rear of the buffer tube and now it runs 100% (at least for the 3 mags I put through it). so I'm not sure what did it, reducing the carrier travel or the added spring pressure from the spacer.
View Quote
It was probably trying to eject too far back.  Wouldn't be an issue with a normal sized ejection port, but was with your smaller port.  The spacer is keeping the bolt travel limited to within the ejection port.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It was probably trying to eject too far back.  Wouldn't be an issue with a normal sized ejection port, but was with your smaller port.  The spacer is keeping the bolt travel limited to within the ejection port.
View Quote
The bolt is still behind the ejection port an inch or so, when fully rearward. What kind of sucks about this, is there's definitely more perceived recoil now with the spacer in there. It feels more like a straight blowback pcc, which completely negates the reason I sprung for the cmmg rdb setup.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#29]
after messing with it more, and reading on here and other forums I think you're right. the only way to use the CMMG setup is to have a full size 5.56 ejection port. oh well now I have to sell a used G9 upper.

@andromax you may want to sell that upper you have while it's new
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
after messing with it more, and reading on here and other forums I think you're right. the only way to use the CMMG setup is to have a full size 5.56 ejection port. oh well now I have to sell a used G9 upper.

@andromax you may want to sell that upper you have while it's new
View Quote
Thats really weird. I wonder what Gibbz recommends. They put the camp pin groove in there for us.

How much meat is getting in the way around the back of the ejection port?
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thats really weird. I wonder what Gibbz recommends. They put the camp pin groove in there for us.

How much meat is getting in the way around the back of the ejection port?
View Quote
Not sure exactly, the rear most section of the ejection port is definitely marked up from brass trying to get out. I know that from what I've read the past 24-48 hours, is that anyone whos built a successfully running 9mm guard is not only running a 5.56 sized port, but cmmg advises enlarging it even further then that. I have a slick sided 5.56 upper on the way, I'm aware I'll have to clearance the upper for the mp5 mags but at this point I just want it to run like it's supposed to.

ETA: I'm not to sure gibbz had the guard in mind at all when doing the g9. when I asked if I needed the proprietary cam pin for the guard setup they were asking me questions like they'd never even heard of it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I bought both the C-9 PDW and the C-5 PDW. My FFL liked the C-9 PDW so much I let him buy it. Now I have sellers remorse:)
View Quote
@philcoates
I emailed them, but I'll ask you since you have one (though it was probably the C-9 that'd fit better). I already have a Colt style lower SBR'd, curious if the PDW stuff could be tossed on it? Anything that looks like it wouldn't fit on a standard lower?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I know loose extractor is a common problem with these lowers but am I correct in saying the feed ramps and any play/looseness in them is controlled by the same screw? My feed ramps have play in them and I have been getting some feed issues again but I honestly don’t remember how tight or loose the feed ramps came from factory.

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I know loose extractor is a common problem with these lowers but am I correct in saying the feed ramps and any play/looseness in them is controlled by the same screw? My feed ramps have play in them and I have been getting some feed issues again but I honestly don’t remember how tight or loose the feed ramps came from factory.

Thanks for any input.
View Quote
The set screw for the feed ramps is at the front face of the receiver next to the pivot pin.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 2:04:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The set screw for the feed ramps is at the front face of the receiver next to the pivot pin.
View Quote
Thanks. I knew it was something simple. I really don't understand why they made both set screws so tiny. Very easy to strip.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Philcoates,

Do you happen to know if the SB retractable brace that is made for the MPX will fit this? I assume the gun is too wide.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#38]
@andromax Update! I got my billet 5.56 upper in , it took about an hour of dremel work to clearance the upper for the mp5 mags. I ran 150 rounds of various ammo through it today and only had one issue, failure to go into battery (with fiocchi 147gr JHP). so it is possible to use this lower with the CMMG guard setup, you just need to use a 5.56 upper and make the appropriate mods.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@andromax Update! I got my billet 5.56 upper in , it took about an hour of dremel work to clearance the upper for the mp5 mags. I ran 350 rounds of various ammo through it today and only had one issue, failure to go into battery (with fiocchi 147gr JHP). so it is possible to use this lower with the CMMG guard setup, you just need to use a 5.56 upper and make the appropriate mods.
View Quote
Glad it worked out with the 556 upper. Sorry you went through all that based on my incomplete testing.
Since we're modding anyways, you think itd be doable to machine the ejection port longer on the G9?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Glad it worked out with the 556 upper. Sorry you went through all that based on my incomplete testing.
Since we're modding anyways, you think itd be doable to machine the ejection port longer on the G9?
View Quote
more then likely, lengthen it 1-1.5''. I just didn't have access to a mill, nor do I think I'd be able to replicate the clean beveling of the ejection port(like Gibbz did) once I was done.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#41]
@PhilCoates,

How’s your C-5 with the traditional buffer system compare to your Sig MPX?  I have been eyeing the 8” barrel Gen 2 MPX for ages, and now that they’re discontinued I have seen them pretty cheap.  Trying to decide if it is worth picking one up.  Love how compact they are and how they look like an updated MP5, but am a bit worried about parts availability going forward.

Between the MPX and the C-5, which do you prefer and why?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 11:57:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Does anyone have / know of a YHM 9431A  7.23” Carbine Length handguard for sale?  Looking to use it to make a quasi-MP5SD AR type thing and I want a handguard I can attach the HK rubber grip to.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 1:43:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
more then likely, lengthen it 1-1.5''. I just didn't have access to a mill, nor do I think I'd be able to replicate the clean beveling of the ejection port(like Gibbz did) once I was done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a QC10 side charger that I was hoping to use the guard on with Colt mags.  Do you think spring and weight tuning would help along with the spacer?   You were on a Maxim PDW, does their carbine buffer and spring directly compare to what CMMG recommends?   It works but the bolt travel needs to be restricted. If you had to guess would you say that the spacer is a permanent and reliable solution .  I have access to a mill but I"m not sure I want to go down that road either.  I'll pull the upper out of the safe tomorrow and see.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have a QC10 side charger that I was hoping to use the guard on with Colt mags.  Do you think spring and weight tuning would help along with the spacer?   You were on a Maxim PDW, does their carbine buffer and spring directly compare to what CMMG recommends?   It works but the bolt travel needs to be restricted. If you had to guess would you say that the spacer is a permanent and reliable solution .  I have access to a mill but I"m not sure I want to go down that road either.  I'll pull the upper out of the safe tomorrow and see.
View Quote
I have tungsten weights I was adding to the carrier and it made no difference on the actual ejection. The spacer likely would've been a long term band aid, but like I said whats the point? The whole point to any delayed blowback system is to lesson recoil and ware and tear on parts, if you cut the carriers travel in half its going to completely negate that. Besides if you have a LRBHO it won't work if you cut the carriers travel.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
In short I think uppers with shortened pcc ejection ports need a fixed ejector to kick the cases out reliably.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I went back and read my post before I purchased the upper.  One comment was the guard and side charging upper needs to be broke in (150+ rds)  but it worked.  Either way I'm commited at this point.  Sent an email to Gibbz to see if they might want to throw it in a CNC and do a G4 port on it.  Not holding my breath.  If not, I will do it on the manual mill.   The chamfering only needs to be close.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/9mm-Guard-with-QC10-side-charging-upper/15-728441/

Also with Gibbz coming out with changes to the G9 to specifically address the compatibility with the guard I wonder if it is specific to MP5 mags.  Also was it rubbing or doing damage to the back of the ejection port.  No amount of break in would have taken care of it?
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 3:41:48 AM EDT
[#47]
For those who are interested, I contacted this company to make a flared magwell adapter for the C-5 lower, to improve mag swap speed and frankly, make the lower look a whole lot better as well, more like a Sig MPX with a Taran Tactical or Lancer Systems adaptive magwell.  But for $35 instead of $95.

I’ll let you know when it’s available for general purchase.

Here is what they have done for the QC10 and others.  https://www.titanrocket.com/product-page/quarter-circle-10-colt-magwell
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I went back and read my post before I purchased the upper.  One comment was the guard and side charging upper needs to be broke in (150+ rds)  but it worked.  Either way I'm commited at this point.  Sent an email to Gibbz to see if they might want to throw it in a CNC and do a G4 port on it.  Not holding my breath.  If not, I will do it on the manual mill.   The chamfering only needs to be close.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/9mm-Guard-with-QC10-side-charging-upper/15-728441/

Also with Gibbz coming out with changes to the G9 to specifically address the compatibility with the guard I wonder if it is specific to MP5 mags.  Also was it rubbing or doing damage to the back of the ejection port.  No amount of break in would have taken care of it?
View Quote
I'm not sure if a break in period would've helped or not, getting a fte every other round was maddening and unacceptable for me. Yes if you Go back and re read my posts you will see I was getting brass marks on the back of the port, you will also see that the gibbz rep I emailed obviously never heard of the guard, so saying the changes to the g9 were specifically for the guard is hard for me to believe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Here's how mine turned out. Pretty happy with it, but other than a quick three round function test in the back yard, I haven't been able to try it out yet:
http://steelarmory.com/locker/pistols/c5_16_b.jpg

http://steelarmory.com/locker/pistols/c5_16_a.jpg

http://steelarmory.com/locker/pistols/c5_16_c.jpg
View Quote
looks awesome!
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top