Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Also posted this in another discussion, but..

Recieved my Gibbz G9 upper after a month of waiting.

A few things;
The NFA C5 side charger seems to have the 5.56 size ejection port. I didnt realize this until comparing it to the G9. The C5 upper is also made by Gibbz. But the G9 is compatible with cam pins and the C5 is not (no cam pin machining)

With the G9 upper there is plenty of clearance for the MP5 magazines with no modification. I was suprised by this.

Adding the G4 gibbz cam pin to the CMMG guard BCG was a bit tight. I found that I did not need to trim the "gas key" at all but I did need to grind off maybe 1mm of the bottom corner to allow the new cam pin to rotate without contacting it.

Was able to get 100% reliable feeding/ejection by racking the handle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump to keep this going.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up some ETS mags that were extremely tight. ETS asked me to ship them back at my expense which I did. New mags are still too tight. Anyone else has this issue?
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Tight meaning they won’t drop free easily or you have to really force them in and out?  Do they seat properly when loaded and unloaded with the bolt forward ?
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tight meaning they won’t drop free easily or you have to really force them in and out?  Do they seat properly when loaded and unloaded with the bolt forward ?
View Quote
The first set of ETS mags were 1/4" from seating with force. The second set are 1/8" from seating with force.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:. The first set of ETS mags were 1/4" from seating with force. The second set are 1/8" from seating with force.
View Quote
Sandpaper?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sandpaper?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:. The first set of ETS mags were 1/4" from seating with force. The second set are 1/8" from seating with force.
Sandpaper?
I could but I would have to figure out which side to take it off. I may just return them and stick with metal mags.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I could but I would have to figure out which side to take it off. I may just return them and stick with metal mags.
View Quote
Do you have any metal mags right now? If so, you should be able to insert and measure their positions using the feed lips as a reference.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Will a PSA upper work on the NFA C5 or am I better off with the C5 upper and just assemble to my specs?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Will a PSA upper work on the NFA C5 or am I better off with the C5 upper and just assemble to my specs?
View Quote
Not without mods.  MP5 mags are wider so the upper has to accommodate them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dont get the C5 upper, get a Gibbz G9. Both are made by Gibbz.

The C5 has a large ejection port, no cam pin machining, looser fit with the mags, is more expensive and at this point is obsolete.

The new Gibbz G9 fixed my mag fitment issues over the C5 version, allows for CMMG guard usage, and has a proper 9MM sized ejection port. You can get a blem for $199
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The C5 has a large ejection port, no cam pin machining, looser fit with the mags, is more expensive and at this point is obsolete.

The new Gibbz G9 fixed my mag fitment issues over the C5 version, allows for CMMG guard usage, and has a proper 9MM sized ejection port. You can get a blem for $199
View Quote
And this upper will work with MP5 mags?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And this upper will work with MP5 mags?
View Quote
I have one of the brand new ones, and yes it is cut for MP5 mags

Eta - I'm not 100% sure that the ones made prior to the batch released last month will fit MP5 mags or that the blems will be a new one - so call them or email them to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid 109 for my C5 and it works great.  I have yet to find a gibbs G9 less than 2 bills.  Mine is not loose at all.   I do prefer the side charge set up and looked at the gibbs heavily before making my pdw.   Both are viable options.  aimsurplus.com has the C5 upper for $109.  I only use POF mags in mine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I paid 109 for my C5 and it works great.  I have yet to find a gibbs G9 less than 2 bills.  Mine is not loose at all.   I do prefer the side charge set up and looked at the gibbs heavily before making my pdw.   Both are viable options.  aimsurplus.com has the C5 upper for $109.  I only use POF mags in mine.
View Quote
I made the error of not counting the rear charging option in my post. My apologies.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I made the error of not counting the rear charging option in my post. My apologies.
View Quote
No apologies needed, as I was considering both charging options. Good to know that if I choose the side charger to stay away from the C5.

Thanks to both.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I just ran across this thread and it's relative to my interests.

Do any of you have any suggestions what K length barrels and hand guards would be a good fit? Alternatively, does anyone sell complete G9 uppers?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
All good bro, just wanted to make sure people know about the rear charge option.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just ran across this thread and it's relative to my interests.

Do any of you have any suggestions what K length barrels and hand guards would be a good fit? Alternatively, does anyone sell complete G9 uppers?
View Quote
hell of a deal at $50
I got the AR Stoner 4.5" barrel.  Works great
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:44:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

hell of a deal at $50
View Quote
What did you choose for the FH? Obviously something for a 5.56 won’t have the clearance for a 9mm round.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What did you choose for the FH? Obviously something for a 5.56 won’t have the clearance for a 9mm round.
View Quote
Not really true at all. Many 1/2 28 muzzle devices intended for 5.56 work just fine for 9mm

Infact most FHs ive seen arent machined any tighter of a bore than the 1/2" threaded portion.

The "9mm FHs" have the dumb 36tpi threads

Obviously this wont be true for brakes or anything with tighter bore constrictions intended for 5.56
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I put a 3 lug adapter on it.

hk 3 lug adapter
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not really true at all. Many 1/2 28 muzzle devices intended for 5.56 work just fine for 9mm

Infact most FHs ive seen arent machined any tighter of a bore than the 1/2" threaded portion.

The "9mm FHs" have the dumb 36tpi threads

Obviously this wont be true for brakes or anything with tighter bore constrictions intended for 5.56
View Quote
Exactly! this is true.  some have enough clearance.  I have drilled out them before back when it was hard to find 9mm dedicated FH.  used a 3/8" bit IIRC in a drill press.  Worked fine.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#24]
That is  the same 3 lug adapter i put on mine!! I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey. Here is my contribution. Took it to the range and experienced several ejecting issues. By any chance anyone experience this issue? I have a C5 side charger. My build includes 4.5 faxon barrel, blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer, recommended spring, and Spinta bolt.

Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:17:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:20:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hey. Here is my contribution. Took it to the range and experienced several ejecting issues. By any chance anyone experience this issue? I have a C5 side charger. My build includes 4.5 faxon barrel, blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer, recommended spring, and Spinta bolt.

https://i.imgur.com/buXJU5om.jpg
View Quote
Try a regular buffer instead of the hydraulic.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I agree I am running a regular 9mm buffer from PSA

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/buXJU5om.jpg
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 3:26:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

hell of a deal at $50
View Quote
Nice!!'Thank you!

ETA: I was looking on New Frontier's website and it looks like ther lower parts kit is out of stock. Do any of you know if any other LPK's are compatible?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 3:30:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Any parts kit will work
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I missed the replies. I figured out my issue. The ejector was loose. NFA should really lock tight that screw. Has been running great after tightening everything down.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#32]
I missed the replies. I figured out my issue. The ejector was loose. NFA should really lock tight that screw. Has been running great after tightening everything down.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
 Mine was loose also.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Who's has POF mp5 magazines?
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought a QC5 receiver set with the side-charging upper during their Black Friday sale.  Had my eye on one of these for a while and decided to finally go for it.

I ordered a 6.75” ported barrel and 12” reflex can from D3LLC and I’m basically trying to make this as much an “MP5SD clone” as possible.  Will have a 13.5” length with the suppressor attached so it should be handy and fun to shoot and being able to slow the regular 115gr and 124gr bullets down to subsonic speeds will be great.  Another plus is that if I ever decide to build a real MP5SD the suppressor will work 100% with it...

What handguards are people using along with the H&K rubber MP5SD grip and how are they attaching them?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#36]
YHM YHM-9431A Carbine rail

HKparts US made MP5 SD rubber

I’ve seen these two used together.  I’m
Sure there are other options.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not finding any in stock online, i was lucky enough to find 1 for an elevated price recently at a gun show.

NFA does have the KCI for $35.00.

Still in the build process, so I can’t tell you what works.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm in the process of milling my lower. Still need to get the LPK. I have two POF magazines I should have bought more than I did.
I would love to see a video / hear how the build went on the mp5 lower.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Build Tech Time...

One has a NFA AR9 C5 lower, upper & BCG... Plan is for a Shockwave stock and tube with a 4-5” barrel.

What’s my buffer set up?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Build Tech Time...

One has a NFA AR9 C5 lower, upper & BCG... Plan is for a Shockwave stock and tube with a 4-5” barrel.

What’s my buffer set up?
View Quote
You may dislike the shockwave after some time with it.

Try a SBA3 or something else that will be softer if shouldered.

I would use a 7 or 7.5 oz buffer.

_
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:08:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You may dislike the shockwave after some time with it.

Try a SBA3 or something else that will be softer if shouldered.

I would use a 7 or 7.5 oz buffer.

_
View Quote
I started with a Shockwave on another pistol but when building my C-5 up, I didn’t hesitate to get the SBA3. Much more comfortable to use.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Will the NFA C9 LRBHO upper work with the C5 and MP5 mags?

@83rdrecon
Looks you have one on your build?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@83rdrecon
View Quote
LRBHO doesn't work with 9mm Mp5 mags.
There is no where on the follower to interface with a LRBHO.

It wasnt a feature that was needed when the mp5 was developed because they trained to lock the bolt back before reloading. Or something.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

LRBHO doesn't work with 9mm Mp5 mags.
There is no where on the follower to interface with a LRBHO.

It wasnt a feature that was needed when the mp5 was developed because they trained to lock the bolt back before reloading. Or something.
View Quote
So basically $20 more then the slick side for a clue grove down the side of the upper ??
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So basically $20 more then the slick side for a clue grove down the side of the upper ??
View Quote
Keep in mind that the Mp5 mags are probably not even going to fit into the glock mag uppers.

The C5 uppers and the newer Gibbz G9 have been cut wider to accommodate them
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just finished building this today, not sure what i'm going to do with it, but it looks kool. Takes MP5 Magazines. The only reason i waited for this is because i hate the straight mag 9mm AR's
https://carwreckhelp.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/20180417_160554.jpg
https://carwreckhelp.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/20180417_160603.jpg
View Quote
Looks great man!
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

@83rdrecon
View Quote
no, my upper is just the plain C5 upper.  The LRBHO wont work with MP5 mags.  Just have to train like an AK.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:30:41 AM EDT
[#49]
FYI, I had an issue with the ETS mags working in my C5 lower. I ended up sanding off both of the raised sections on the back of the mags to get them to work.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Took it out for the first time today. Ran flawless from round one. (all the way to round 200) (suppressed)
C-5 lower
Matching side-charger upper
Kaw Valley bolt
Faxon 4" 9mm barrel
MVB buttstock 9mm version
POF mags
SilencerCo Hybrid
Standard gunshow reload 115gr

Page / 8
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top