Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2017 5:40:26 PM EDT
I recently bought a PSA 9mm 4in upper, but was looking to change the hand guard to around a 9in size. I have reached out to PSA who were less than helpful about which aftermarket hand guards would fit. Several people on here have recommended Aero Precision Quantum, which I like, but reaching out to them they said that it wouldn't fit that upper. I also reached out to Seekins who said that there's would fit a mil-spec, but didn't know if they would fit the PSA upper. I'm not looking to spend a ton, but does anyone have any experience changing the hand guards on theirs?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Forgot to mention that the barrel will have an Octane attached so it will need at least 1.37" in diameter.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a strange proprietary barrel nut, you'll have to use a new one. Look for a B.A.R. barrel nut to go with an Aero Precision 9" handguard. I don't think Seekins makes a 9" but Spikes may. The B.A.R. series of handguards has a 1.8" diameter so plenty of clearance.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a strange proprietary barrel nut, you'll have to use a new one. Look for a B.A.R. barrel nut to go with an Aero Precision 9" handguard. I don't think Seekins makes a 9" but Spikes may. The B.A.R. series of handguards has a 1.8" diameter so plenty of clearance.
View Quote
Thanks for the information. I was looking at the Aero Precision for the price point, but @DRJH1999 do you think this would be better suited...http://www.seekinsprecision.com/parts-and-accessories/handguards/mcsr-rail.html
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]
In the totally useless info department...

I bought that same package.  While I was waiting for it to arrive, they put the 10.5" barrel version of it on special for $70 less.  It had a 9" handguard.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-9mm-9-lightweight-m-lock-railed-upper-w-bcg-ch-516446771.html

So, if I were to look hard for some positive reason for pointing out that you, like me, may have overpaid, it's that PSA has the length handguard you're looking for, and it would fit the barrel nut you've already got.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Welcome to ARF !!

Btw... there is a dedicated  "AR Pistol" sub forum.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/AR-Pistols/122/

As well as a dedicated "Rimfire and Pistol Calibers" forum as well.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Rimfire-and-Pistol-Calibers/15/

So you might try posting this question at one of those, as there are
regulars that might have more input.
View Quote
Thank you! I saw those forums as well, but figured I might get a little more foot traffic in this area. I'll double down there and see if I can find any folks that have run into the issue.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In the totally useless info department...

I bought that same package.  While I was waiting for it to arrive, they put the 10.5" barrel version of it on special for $70 less.  It had a 9" handguard.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-9mm-9-lightweight-m-lock-railed-upper-w-bcg-ch-516446771.html

So, if I were to look hard for some positive reason for pointing out that you, like me, may have overpaid, it's that PSA has the length handguard you're looking for, and it would fit the barrel nut you've already got.
View Quote
I asked them about getting a different handguard after the fact and they weren't eactly helpful. They basically said any handguard that goes on an AR-15 would work. However, my problem isn't so much the length ( I would like a longer one but it's not a deal breaker) my problem is the diameter. It needs to be larger that 1.37". I'll reach out to them again and see if they are a little more helpful.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
(Speaking of that barrel nut, the one I recently took off my PSA 9mm factory upper was torqued about 10x tighter than it needed to be and was quite a bitch to remove.)
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the information. I was looking at the Aero Precision for the price point, but @DRJH1999 do you think this would be better suited...http://www.seekinsprecision.com/parts-and-accessories/handguards/mcsr-rail.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't know Seekins made a 9", other than subtle style differences the rails are identical in how they mount. I prefer Aero's Gen 2 rails but they don't make a 10" like Seekins does
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

(Speaking of that barrel nut, the one I recently took off my PSA 9mm factory upper was torqued about 10x tighter than it needed to be and was quite a bitch to remove.)
View Quote
That’s good to know. I struggled to get the flash can off...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#14]
http://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Aero-Precision-AR15-Enhanced-KEYMOD-Handguards-GEN1-APPG100001.htm

Get you one of these with the BAR barrel nut also.

No matter what other handguard you get, you're going to change the barrel nut also.  Make sure you get an upper clam she'll for the vice.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Aero-Precision-AR15-Enhanced-KEYMOD-Handguards-GEN1-APPG100001.htm

Get you one of these with the BAR barrel nut also.

No matter what other handguard you get, you're going to change the barrel nut also.  Make sure you get an upper clam she'll for the vice.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up! Just picked one of those up!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Just for Information Purposes, Palmetto State will not divulge any Information on who manufactures the Components they use in their Uppers and Lowers, Even when it is clearly Evident Who or what company made it, they still won't admit it, Prime example, PSA's 9mm Lower is a New Frontier Armory Lower, They will not admit it. I'm not bashing PSA, I buy a lot of stuff from them, Budget Parts at a fair price. Just don't expect any Information from them. Their Business, Their Rules. I wish they had a technical Department you could call and get the kind of help many other vendors have about building and components and parts compatability. My all time favorite quote from a PSA Rep was "Our Lower receivers only work with our Uppers"
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just for Information Purposes, Palmetto State will not divulge any Information on who manufactures the Components they use in their Uppers and Lowers, Even when it is clearly Evident Who or what company made it, they still won't admit it, Prime example, PSA's 9mm Lower is a New Frontier Armory Lower, They will not admit it. I'm not bashing PSA, I buy a lot of stuff from them, Budget Parts at a fair price. Just don't expect any Information from them. Their Business, Their Rules. I wish they had a technical Department you could call and get the kind of help many other vendors have about building and components and parts compatability. My all time favorite quote from a PSA Rep was "Our Lower receivers only work with our Uppers"
View Quote
And thats nonsense cause i have a psa 9mm lower with a matrix arms upper and it fits and works great. Just with i had the lrbho on it..

My vote goes to aero handguard, i have one and its great.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#18]
It is nonsense, The point I am making, PYITE752 Wanted Technical information on the compatability of different Handguards with the PSA upper. Palmetto State will NOT give it. A long time ago I gave up asking PSA for Technical Information. But, I still buy their products.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It is nonsense, The point I am making, PYITE752 Wanted Technical information on the compatability of different Handguards with the PSA upper. Palmetto State will NOT give it. A long time ago I gave up asking PSA for Technical Information. But, I still buy their products.
View Quote
Yea, i knew what ya meant. I do also.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just for Information Purposes, Palmetto State will not divulge any Information on who manufactures the Components they use in their Uppers and Lowers, Even when it is clearly Evident Who or what company made it, they still won't admit it
View Quote
Some of that may be confidentiality contracts.  PSA sells stuff heavily discounted, and it could be the agreement with various manufacturers to not disclose that their products are being sold cheaper under a different line.  Get enough manufacturers wanting that and it quickly becomes a policy across all of them.

Even if it's plainly obvious to people in the know, the fact that no one will confirm or deny it leaves it to wallow in conspiracy theory circles.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm sure that's the case with PSA and their Vendors, The Origiional Post pointed out that PSA was less than Helpful, No Conspiracy Theory here, Just pointing out, Maybe a little long winded, That PSA will not Divulge any information on certain items. There are better places such as this board for help with Compatability issues.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Finished product. Thanks everyone for your input.Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top