Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2017 8:16:17 PM EDT
As the title said this is the first time I’ve seen this before.  PSA has introduced a dedicated 22 LR upper with free floath hand guard.  Hard to tell from the picture whose bolt they are using or if they are producing their own.  The bolt appears to be the Atchisson/Ciener/ CMMG/TACCOM design.  The discription says stainless steel bolt so I suspect a CMMG bolt, 16” barrel with M-Lok hand guard.   Barrel is supposed to Nitride 1:16 twist so could be a CMMG barrel.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-22-lr-1-16-nitride-13-5-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-516446934.html?trk_msg=GETLDS6PSG64PDQEHJVUIEMHQG&trk_contact=CN50J2DJTKCVKR4OBVK7RQA0PO&trk_sid=AT9PU5TB0JLF462AHJGNUR1OM4&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fpsa-16-22-lr-1-16-nitride-13-5-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-516446934.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=5%3a00+Email
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:Barrel is supposed to Nitride 1:16 twist so could be a CMMG barrel.
View Quote

I saw that too.  For $329 I can't put anything like that together.  With some dedication and patience I might be able to do that for a bit under $400.

$15   CH    
$125 barrel
$8  a2 flash suppressor
$60 upper
$150  BCG  
$50  free float tube

$408

I also thought it might be the CMMG barrel of the same profile, but the PSA barrel is listed as 4150.  I believe the CMMG barrel is 4140.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]
So tempting

Hope they come out with a pistol upper.

I have a few stripped lowers I could turn into pistols
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#3]
The bolt looks exactly like the cmmg, all the way down the the exact same looking barrel collar, even has the retaining bearing in the collar.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#4]
i really hope they do a 4" barrel with a ~9" FF tube. would look nice tucking a 22 can in there and cheaper than even building it myself.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been hoping they would do this sometime!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm pumped about this! I wonder how accurate these nitride barrels will be?
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i really hope they do a 4" barrel with a ~9" FF tube. would look nice tucking a 22 can in there and cheaper than even building it myself.
View Quote
This! 
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Id love a complete 22LR pistol. Would be so much fun! Maybe with an SB tactical brace.  Just saying
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#9]
anyone order one of these and test it out yet?

I have an older CMMG 22LR upper that is now a jammo-matic.  I love it, but not reliable.  Looking to replace it.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:41:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
anyone order one of these and test it out yet?

I have an older CMMG 22LR upper that is now a jammo-matic.  I love it, but not reliable.  Looking to replace it.  

Thanks!
View Quote
Ordered, but still waiting.  PSA isn't known for quick order fulfillment, so no clue when it'll arrive.  I'll do my best to post results when it arrives.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Subscribed... I almost bought one when I saw the ad, but wanted to see whose design they were using.  I bought a tacsol lightweight upper a year or so ago and love it.  For half the price, I could stand to have a plinker to share with the boys...
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#12]
i ordered one...will report on it when received.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I had posted this in another thread but I was directed to this thread.

I bought the classic upper on Monday and it arrived Friday. I had it out all weekend and I'm extremely pleased with it. I shot it with various standard and HV ammo and with maybe 500 rounds fired, I had only one failure to extract which I didn't even realize until I had a failure to feed and after clearing, another failure to feed. It wasn't a feed problem, it was because of the spent shell in the chamber which I didn't see. Other then that, feeding was 100%. There was one instance of the hammer failing to reset, and that was shooting with standard velocity Federal match ammo. So really it was just 2 minor issues in over 500 rounds fired. Accuracy wise, it's no different then the 10/22 I have and most likely outshoots me. I love the thing and it was $300 well spent.

ETA: The bolt looks exactly like a CMMG bolt but instead of the chamber insert it just has a collar which fits over the dedicated 22LR barrel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#14]
OST
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This! 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This! 
That.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Got it on Friday the 13th :)

I have only tested it with Gemtech (CCI) and Aguila subsonic ammo and I don’t even think I’ve fired it un-suppressed (Surefire Ryder and my DAW 5.56 Curtis Tactical rebuild).

Function has been about 95% in 400 rounds. All malfunctions have been light primer strike or the bullet dragging on the feed ramp and not fully  chambering. I’ll lightly polish the ramp and I am sure this will resolve most of the issues.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that it seems to be a little magazine finicky. The metal feed lip black dog mags in my inventory seem to cause a little drag on the “bolt” when attempting to chamber the first round. The plastic feed lip black dog mags I used don’t seem to exhibit this issue.

The conversion unit or “bolt” looks like and functions/installs identically to my Ciener conversion bolt except this has a CMMG style collar for the dedicated .22 barrel.

The barrel is an M4 profile which makes this thing heavier than it needs to be. I assume PSA chose one profile so they could use these on “classic” M4 style uppers or FF railed versions. The heavier barrel does make the completed rifle weight more in line with its 5.56 counterpart if you’re building it as a trainer.

The rail that comes on the upper is exactly what you should expect from spending $299 on a COMPLETE upper. That said, it’s definitely adequate for its intended purpose. I swapped mine out for a 14.5” URX4.

All in all, I’m not sorry I got it and think it’s worth the $$$ at $299.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://s26.postimg.org/4ek9850g9/34_FEE9_E1-1_A79-4_A48-89_D9-_C15_AAEFBECF7.jpg

Got it on Friday the 13th :)

I have only tested it with Gemtech (CCI) and Aguila subsonic ammo and I don’t even think I’ve fired it un-suppressed (Surefire Ryder and my DAW 5.56 Curtis Tactical rebuild).

Function has been about 95% in 400 rounds. All malfunctions have been light primer strike or the bullet dragging on the feed ramp and not fully  chambering. I’ll lightly polish the ramp and I am sure this will resolve most of the issues.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that it seems to be a little magazine finicky. The metal feed lip black dog mags in my inventory seem to cause a little drag on the “bolt” when attempting to chamber the first round. The plastic feed lip black dog mags I used don’t seem to exhibit this issue.

https://s26.postimg.org/ullg43iq1/82_FB430_A-_D704-4_BBF-9_E34-1_B8_ADF684843.jpg

The conversion unit or “bolt” looks like and functions/installs identically to my Ciener conversion bolt except this has a CMMG style collar for the dedicated .22 barrel.

https://s26.postimg.org/7zg4rd4zt/C6_B91_C67-9_ABF-4837-_ADD1-_F67568423278.jpg

The barrel is an M4 profile which makes this thing heavier than it needs to be. I assume PSA chose one profile so they could use these on “classic” M4 style uppers or FF railed versions. The heavier barrel does make the completed rifle weight more in line with its 5.56 counterpart if you’re building it as a trainer.

The rail that comes on the upper is exactly what you should expect from spending $299 on a COMPLETE upper. That said, it’s definitely adequate for its intended purpose. I swapped mine out for a 14.5” URX4.

All in all, I’m not sorry I got it and think it’s worth the $$ at $299.
View Quote
Your bolt group looks like it's parkerized or has some coating on it. Mine is completely shiny. I wonder why the difference?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Your bolt group looks like it's parkerized or has some coating on it. Mine is completely shiny. I wonder why the difference?
View Quote
They have a stainless steel and parkerized option. Park version is $30 cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Accuracy report?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Its getting harder and harder for me to resist the 22 AR style rifles.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Accuracy report?
View Quote
Good catch... totally forgot to mention that, and also didn't measure the group from my zero (zeroed at 40 yards, on bags from prone).  I made a stencil with 1"x1" square that I hit with spray paint and use for most of my non-precision stuff.  The edges just aren't sharp enough for scope work but perfectly adequate for most purposes.

I was able to hold 25 rounds inside the fuzzy edged square at 40 yards - one ragged hole.  I can't comment further as to accuracy, but at 65 yards can ding a 8' plate all day long from the comfort of my front porch.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Any reason to get the more expensive SS bcg over the parked version? 
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#23]
The Stainless Steel bolt carrier generally are more reliable new and a little easier to clean.   The parkerized bolt works fine after a few hundred rounds to smooth the surfaces.  Running the rails wet with CLP and or polishing the bolt/rails a little helps.  I own two CMMG Parkerized and one Ciener and once worn in they are as reliable as any 22 rimfire semi auto can be.    I personally like the look of the parkerized bolts so having a SS bolt after have the parkerized was a non issue for me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought the lightweight keymod upper with the phosphate BCG. Put it on a PSA lower with an Anderson Arms LPK. Took it out this past weekend to test different ammo. Didn't get to shoot for groups. Just tested for function. Upper would noit reset trigger with bulk Federal standard velocity ammo. Functioned fine with CCI Mini Mag solid points. Had trouble feeding Winchester high velocity hollow points. First round out of the magazine would nose dive into the feed ramp. If I manually closed the bolt on the first round the rest of the magazine would feed OK. Only had one Black Dog on hand and it had the nylon feed lips. I have less then 200 rounds through this so far. Im hoping it will function with the cheaper bulk ammo. Will try and get some accuracy testing done and report back.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bought the lightweight keymod upper with the phosphate BCG. Put it on a PSA lower with an Anderson Arms LPK. Took it out this past weekend to test different ammo. Didn't get to shoot for groups. Just tested for function. Upper would noit reset trigger with bulk Federal standard velocity ammo. Functioned fine with CCI Mini Mag solid points. Had trouble feeding Winchester high velocity hollow points. First round out of the magazine would nose dive into the feed ramp. If I manually closed the bolt on the first round the rest of the magazine would feed OK. Only had one Black Dog on hand and it had the nylon feed lips. I have less then 200 rounds through this so far. Im hoping it will function with the cheaper bulk ammo. Will try and get some accuracy testing done and report back.
View Quote
I've had great luck with the Federal Automatch.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/federal-auto-match-22lr-40gr-lead-round-nose-325rd-am22.html
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This! 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This! 
oh Yeah!
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#27]
For those have issues with mags just wanted to share this. Im sure most of you are aware of it.

Attachment Attached File

A better mag Adapter

I did some research before building my dedicated 22LR AR. This little adapter was given high praises. I bought one and bought 2 S&W MP15-22 mags and haven't had any problems. The SW mags are a good bit cheaper than the CMMG mags as well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The SW mags are a good bit cheaper than the CMMG mags as well.
View Quote
S&W are easier to load as well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The SW mags are a good bit cheaper than the CMMG mags as well.
Yep! And in my case when you discover how awesome a SBR/pistol 22LR AR suppressed is you spend alot of time stuffing rounds into those mags.

I need to get one of these.

Mcfadden Lightnin' Grip Speed Loader - Review and Demo
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep! And in my case when you discover how awesome a SBR/pistol 22LR AR suppressed is you spend alot of time stuffing rounds into those mags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABMd0JHqhqM
View Quote
Wow. Ordered. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABMd0JHqhqM
View Quote
Those are really nice and work like a dream.  The hardest part is getting the rounds to drop in to the little trough, but once they do you can fill a 25 round magazine in about 15 seconds.  Last round has to be installed by hand, but that's just fine by me.

Great to see these PSA uppers work well for the cost, may get myself a late birthday present after all.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#32]
When the mag is empty I know the feed lip keeps the bolt open, when the mag is pulled out is it supposed to slam shut?  On my Walther 416 one, the bolt locks back and stays there even if the mag is removed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
When the mag is empty I know the feed lip keeps the bolt open, when the mag is pulled out is it supposed to slam shut?  On my Walther 416 one, the bolt locks back and stays there even if the mag is removed.
View Quote
Yes, that's how it works unless you use the better mag adapter and M&P magazines
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As the title said this is the first time I’ve seen this before.  PSA has introduced a dedicated 22 LR upper with free floath hand guard.  Hard to tell from the picture whose bolt they are using or if they are producing their own.  The bolt appears to be the Atchisson/Ciener/ CMMG/TACCOM design.  The discription says stainless steel bolt so I suspect a CMMG bolt, 16” barrel with M-Lok hand guard.   Barrel is supposed to Nitride 1:16 twist so could be a CMMG barrel.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-22-lr-1-16-nitride-13-5-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-516446934.html?trk_msg=GETLDS6PSG64PDQEHJVUIEMHQG&trk_contact=CN50J2DJTKCVKR4OBVK7RQA0PO&trk_sid=AT9PU5TB0JLF462AHJGNUR1OM4&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fpsa-16-22-lr-1-16-nitride-13-5-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-516446934.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=5%3a00+Email
View Quote
Bought the PSA upper with the Chrome BCG, took it out today and fired 500 rds and did not lube anything.  Not 1 problem at all.  I used black dog machine mags with nylon followers and
Federal 22 Long Rifle 40gr Solid Champion AutoMatch Ammunition.  The accuracy is nice too.  Blows my Walther 416 away.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I want one!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Ya know that it will pay for it's self in less than 5 bricks of 22 ammo vs the 223/556 - you will have a lot more fun and even the ladies and kids can run it like a grayhound after a rabbit.

I recommend that you get the better mag adapter and run the S&W 15-22 mags - that was you get the last round bolt hold open.  skip the CMMG mags.

Red
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top