BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
.45 ACP Conversion Guide (Page 2 of 22)
Page / 22
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just build up a frame and add it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me just say that is the coolest thing I have ever seen

Link Posted: 12/14/2007 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Mylt1,
I have a mectec conversion for my glock.  Runs great and is a lot of fun to shoot.  Ergonomics are a little funny as the stock is too long.  It's kinda like a Tommy gun if you've ever shouldered one.  (Sorry - didn't mean to jack the thread.)
Link Posted: 12/27/2007 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, sorry if this is a little off the topic, but I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread on what I think is a related question.  

Why do the Oly .45 uppers use the ejector system that they do?  Are 9mm uppers (Oly and others) set up the same way as well?  Having that lateral bar in there with the spring wrapped around it seems to be a bit of a monkeywrench as far as coming up with magazine choices.  Is there not some other way to eject the spent cases?
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 6:02:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Colt held the patent on the 9mm ejector system at the time Oly first made their pistol caliber conversions. It was the next best design that worked.

So I've been told by Oly reps.
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you use on the uppers you build?
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 12:28:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TANGOCHASER] [#7]
I was using the Oly ejector assy but I am working on another system will all the parts in the lower so any upper can be used without modifications. No ETA on a working sample yet.

I stopped building uppers as I am in Bahrain working as a Navy contractor for the next year or maybe 2. R&D is still continuing though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#8]
What exactly does the Colt 9mm system use?  I'm not familiar with it.

Link Posted: 1/3/2008 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By crazytuco:
What exactly does the Colt 9mm system use?  I'm not familiar with it.

The ejector is built into the mag well adapter not a modification to the upper as in the Oly setup.
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Ah, I see, thank you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 11:17:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Another thing to note when putting together a .45 AR, that I just recently realized, concerns the shelf on the Oly pistol caliber bolt carrier. Below you see, from left to right, two Oly pistol caliber BCGs and a standard AR-15 BCG. The shelf is quite obvious and the center one shows some scoring from the top of the hammer (a CMC in this case).

I noticed this same scoring on somebody else's .45 BC in an ad in the EE.

To their credit, CMC replaced the trigger before I realized what the problem was; a CMC trigger has a sharp upper edge on the hammer:

I've since replaced it with a smoother edged hammer/trigger group.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 9:24:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: deminer] [#12]
When you say "scoring" are you talking about those seven identical marks?

If so, there's no way that can be from the hammer, they're too uniform and evenly distributed. Not to mention being too far back for the hammer to even reach. The arc of the hammer when it comes up to strike the firing pin couldn't possibly reach that far back.

Looks exactly the same on the pic in the EE ad you referenced, too uniform and evenly distributed on the shelf.

Now, on the other hand..... If I am totally blind and that's not the marks you're talking about.....     Please elaborate?
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Is the "shelf" there to accomodate the lateral pin Oly uses for their ejector spring?
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#14]
The bolt will not go that far forwad. The shelf area length probably has a lot more to do with the sweet spot for bolt carrier weight to work in a blow back set up. Not too heavy and not too light.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 6:16:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MMcfpd] [#15]
You're right, it won't.

ETA - I did inquire with Oly about those marks on the BC - perhaps they are some manufacturing artifact.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 6:31:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TaylorWSO] [#16]
The "scoring" is from the treads of the weight that oly puts into the end of the carrier. Not from the hammer. You can see the weight, a big ass set screw in the pic

Link Posted: 1/8/2008 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Continuing a long tradition of learning from my mistakes...
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 8:39:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TaylorWSO] [#18]
One thing to notice in the pic is that the 2 carriers on the left have a "higher" rib on the underside of the carrier. You can see this as it comes to more of a point. The width of the rib on the right is wider, denoting more material milled away.

If you use the original BCG from oly, like those on the left, the taller "rib" will hit and bind with a sear on a M16. The carrier will have to be milled down like the one on the right.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:24:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Very early Oly .45 bolt carrier assemblies were made from real M16 bolt carriers. I saw one a customer sent when I was building an upper for him. The weight in the carrier looked more like a plug and had 2 fingers that ran down the inside of the carrier. I suppose to add just a few more onces of weight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:
The "scoring" is from the treads of the weight that oly puts into the end of the carrier. Not from the hammer. You can see the weight, a big ass set screw in the pic

I disagree, they still look like individual machining marks. BTW, just got back home last night and the gf had picked up the Oly 45acp upper I bought off the EE last week. Pulled it out of the packaging and took a close look at it to confirm this. I am 100% certain those marks are not from the hammer or the counterweight threads. I can post pics later if necessary.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By deminer:

The "scoring" is from the threads of the weight that oly puts into the end of the carrier. Not from the hammer. You can see the weight, a big ass set screw in the pic

I disagree, they still look like individual machining marks. BTW, just got back home last night and the gf had picked up the Oly 45acp upper I bought off the EE last week. Pulled it out of the packaging and took a close look at it to confirm this. I am 100% certain those marks are not from the hammer or the counterweight threads. I can post pics later if necessary.

I didn't say they were from the hammer, they are from the threads for the extra weight.
If you remove the "screw" you can see light from the treading. They are not machining marks they are threading cuts.

What are you trying to say? You statement doesn't make any sense, you have also given no explanation for what they are. Its obvious they are from the threading
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 5:54:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deminer] [#22]

Originally Posted By deminer:

The "scoring" is from the threads of the weight that oly puts into the end of the carrier. Not from the hammer. You can see the weight, a big ass set screw in the pic

I didn't say they were from the hammer, they are from the threads for the extra weight.
If you remove the "screw" you can see light from the treading. They are not machining marks they are threading cuts.

What are you trying to say? You statement doesn't make any sense, you have also given no explanation for what they are. Its obvious they are from the threading

Geez dude.... Are we going to have an internet argument now?????

I never said YOU stated the marks were from the hammer. If you pay attention a few posts back MMcfpd was the one who said that. Just because I included his remark in my reply doesn't attribute it to you. Did I need to say not from the hammer as MMcfpd said to make you happy?

As for my statement not making any sense..... What I am saying is that I do not think they are cuts from the internal threading for the counterweight screw. I took the counterweight screw out of my carrier and those small "cuts" don't extend all the way through the metal on mine. They appear to be stamped on the outside of the carrier. I can see how it "looks" like it's where the internal threading cuts came all the way through the metal though.

And an explanation of what they are? I've got no clue since I wasn't involved in Oly's manufacturing process. On the 45acp carrier I've got they just look like a parallel series of five stamp marks. In the pic that MMcfpd posted, the center carrier has what looks like seven of those marks while the carrier on the left doens't have anything similar visible and the carrier I've got right here has five marks. So who knows what the heck they are, some kind of batch id markings maybe or just meaningless byproducts from the machining process.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok...  so what's the facts on needed parts with the .45 ACP and the Oly system?

Do you need a different hammer like the 9mm in the Colt system or do standard hammers work?

What spring and buffer does Olympic Arms recommend? (Do they? Or do they just let you guess?)
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#24]
The Oly AR45 carbine uses a standard AR15 lower. No special parts of any kind including a standard CAR buffer. The .45 upper is designed to use an unmodified AR15 lower.

To use a regular AR15 lower though, you need the Oly modified UZI mags which are no longer made. When you can find the 16rd Oly modified Uzi mags, or even the 10rd versions, they command premium prices. Like $65-$100+ a piece.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I have 5 45acp bolts and Ihave seen 3 changes that are different over the years.
Has anyone else seen more
From top to bottom
The first of the 45 bolts from the mid 90"s works with a LLink
The second is from 2001  M16
The third is from  late 2007     AR15

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By TANGOCHASER:
The Oly AR45 carbine uses a standard AR15 lower. No special parts of any kind including a standard CAR buffer. The .45 upper is designed to use an unmodified AR15 lower.

To use a regular AR15 lower though, you need the Oly modified UZI mags which are no longer made. When you can find the 16rd Oly modified Uzi mags, or even the 10rd versions, they command premium prices. Like $65-$100+ a piece.

Or you could make these modded GG mags

Because of you TANGOCHASER I spent more $ on a AR45 lower
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:11:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K2unit] [#27]
Thought I would add this to the .45 ACP Conversion Sticky!

Just finished my latest creation, an AR45 in “Tommy Gun” configuration.

I started off with a 10% CNC Guns AR45 lower receiver finished out by Khalan Weaponry.  Single digit serial number 00x!  The Upper is a VM left side charge handle 9mm receiver available from Spike's tactical and modified by Tango Chaser tactical for an Olympic Bolt & Ejector in .45 caliber.  The “Finned Barrel” is a standard 16” Thompson barrel modified by Kurts Kustom Firearms with a Olympic style barrel extension.  The fore grip & pistol grip are standard wood furniture for the Thompson, the pistol grip was heavily modified to fit the AR45 receiver.  Muzzle brake is for a 9mm high point carbine; both brake and barrel were modified by Alien Arms to thread together.  Alien Arms custom machined the fore grip adapter ring secured on the barrel nut.  This allows the use of the stock cantilevered mount for the Thompson fore grip.  The butt stock is available at Brownell’s as a retro replacement for the AR15 plastic stock. Magazines are stock 30 Rd M3 grease gun mags & sighting system is the short version of the Eotech.

Since I’ve built it, I’ve taken it to the range several times.  The typical reaction is “What is it “ followed by “Can I shoot it & I want one!”  With the 16” barrel it is extremely accurate and with minimal recoil , a pleasure to shoot.   I normally shoot a 12” gong with my AR15 .223 at 65 yards, so I’m used to the time from shooting until the bullet hits the gong.  With the AR45 and sub sonic round, it’s almost disturbing how much longer it takes to hit the gong , you almost feel like you could squeeze a second shot off before the first hits.  3000fps vs 900fps..

I love the retro Tommy Gun look and enjoyed building something different.  My next AR45 project is going to be something like a combination of an AR45 and a DeLisle Commando Carbine.

K2unit
Alien  Arms
alienarms.com

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:49:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 40pirate] [#28]
wow!

That gun deserves it's own thread IMO.

Found it
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Without a doubt the niftiest .45 AR I've seen yet, K2unit.  Good job!
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:53:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deminer] [#30]

Originally Posted By K2unit:

Just finished my latest creation, an AR45 in “Tommy Gun” configuration.

I started off with a 10% CNC Guns AR45 lower receiver finished out by Khalan Weaponry.  Single digit serial number 00x!  The Upper is a VM left side charge handle 9mm receiver available from Spike's tactical and modified by Tango Chaser tactical for an Olympic Bolt & Ejector in .45 caliber.  The “Finned Barrel” is a standard 16” Thompson barrel modified by Kurts Kustom Firearms with a Olympic style barrel extension.  The fore grip & pistol grip are standard wood furniture for the Thompson, the pistol grip was heavily modified to fit the AR45 receiver.  Muzzle brake is for a 9mm high point carbine; both brake and barrel were modified by Alien Arms to thread together.  Alien Arms custom machined the fore grip adapter ring secured on the barrel nut.  This allows the use of the stock cantilevered mount for the Thompson fore grip.  The butt stock is available at Brownell’s as a retro replacement for the AR15 plastic stock. Magazines are stock 30 Rd M3 grease gun mags & sighting system is the short version of the Eotech.

Since I’ve built it, I’ve taken it to the range several times.  The typical reaction is “What is it “ followed by “Can I shoot it & I want one!”  With the 16” barrel it is extremely accurate and with minimal recoil , a pleasure to shoot.   I normally shoot a 12” gong with my AR15 .223 at 65 yards, so I’m used to the time from shooting until the bullet hits the gong.  With the AR45 and sub sonic round, it’s almost disturbing how much longer it takes to hit the gong , you almost feel like you could squeeze a second shot off before the first hits.  3000fps vs 900fps..

I love the retro Tommy Gun look and enjoyed building something different.  My next AR45 project is going to be something like a combination of an AR45 and a DeLisle Commando Carbine.

K2unit
Alien  Arms

img293.imageshack.us/img293/9788/mvc026xsf2.jpg</a>
img101.imageshack.us/img101/8465/mvc028xir0.jpg</a>
img218.imageshack.us/img218/2462/mvc018xvh3.jpg</a>
img502.imageshack.us/img502/7829/mvc024xxu4.jpg</a>
img517.imageshack.us/img517/7206/mvc019xvd3.jpg</a>
img185.imageshack.us/img185/9729/mvc017xjf0.jpg</a>

To put this in Marine-speak..... "Fuckin'-A dude, that looks fuckin' cool as FUCK!!!"
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like Oly is going to modified 10 round stem mags,

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=56&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

I have one of their uppers on a sp-1 lower,..   runs great. The old Dalphon mags work well too,. they are just tight in the mag well.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#32]
That has got to be a misprint or they cut and pasted from the 9mm page. Sten mags can be modified to use .45 ACP but the mods would make them expensive and not cost effective.

Tom at Oly told me the new .45 mags are going to be similar to the FMX mags they made a few years ago. Plastic simunition type.
Link Posted: 2/11/2008 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I just checked Kahlahn's page, looks like they have a barrel shortage.
Link Posted: 2/11/2008 8:41:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#34]
Hmmm...I just got a barrel direct from Oly last week.

ETA:  And here it is.

MkIII
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks like I may be buying a Cav arms lower...   and should my AR45 lower ever come, I'll have the Cav as a spare.
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 7:36:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#36]

Originally Posted By cas:
Looks like I may be buying a Cav arms lower...   and should my AR45 lower ever come, I'll have the Cav as a spare.

ETA:
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone run Cast bullets through the OLY Uppers.  How picky are these set ups as far as ammo goes?
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 10:19:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bob332] [#38]

Originally Posted By MHIDPA:
Does anyone run Cast bullets through the OLY Uppers.  How picky are these set ups as far as ammo goes?

i went to the range yesterday for the first time w/ my ar45 and had 5mag w/ 5 different type of ammo - fmj, jhp, fn (i think they are called flat nose - kind of ball but w/ the front flat) from different brands and weights and nothing stood out as an issue.  unfortunately no cast though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 2:23:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By cas:

Cav-Aid 2008

Ive got one on order. Does anyone know if the GG mags need to be modified for use in the Cav Arms Lower?
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By MHIDPA:

Lots of cast through mine, not an issue up to 260g(the heaviest I've run).  They shoot and run fine.

But, the Oly barrel doesn't exactly have the smoothest interior finish, I made the mistake of not giving it a couple of jacketed bullets before cleaning ONCE.  The lead can be kind of a pain to clean out.

Link Posted: 3/4/2008 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Posted by Badazzar:
Ive got one on order. Does anyone know if the GG mags need to be modified for use in the Cav Arms Lower?

No mods needed to the mag. The Hahn magwell block uses a paddle type catch that uses the bottom of the lip of the outer support plate on the mag.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#42]

Posted by Badazzar:

No mods needed to the mag. The Hahn magwell block uses a paddle type catch that uses the bottom of the lip of the outer support plate on the mag.

Thanks man.
Link Posted: 3/15/2008 1:55:25 AM EDT
[#43]
I had one Oly mag and I sold it... too soon it seems. I'm getting ready to stick my "new" upper on one of my lowers and go shoot my 45ACP single shot.

Oh, I have maybe 15 grease gun mags AND a Hahn block, just nothing to put them in. Waiting for an AR45 that may never come, and a Cav Arms MrkII that may never come.
Link Posted: 3/15/2008 4:34:48 AM EDT
[#44]
For guys waiting on a CAV Aid or AR45 lower, you can shoot .45 HP out of a Sten mag with a Sten magwell block and a regular lower. Mags only hold 15-17 rds but they work. Cut 5-7 coils off the spring to make it easier to load.
Link Posted: 3/15/2008 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh great... now that you said that, Hahn will go out of business or the worlds supply of Sten mags will dry up!

Uh-uh! I'm not buying anything else.

And to think, at one time I had 60 something Sten mags... now not a one.

Good to know though, worst case scenario. Thanks.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 12:28:42 AM EDT
[#46]
i personally feel that TC and justin will get the ar45 setup worked out.  in all reality, it is worked out it is just getting the person to finish them up but all the r & d is done.  the best things in life are never easy and i know those guys are doing what they can.  the ar45 platform is an excellent platform - very controllable, easy on target - it works very well.

hell, people - meet somebody w/ a small mill and get a 10% er from justin  trust me, it would be worth it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#47]
where can i get a 10%er i've got open access to a machine shop so i would like to get a 10% ar45
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Contact Justin at www.cncguns.com for a 10% lower.
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By Redtazdog:

Or you could make these modded GG mags

Because of you TANGOCHASER I spent more $ on a AR45 lower

Can anyone post info on how to make these?  Obviously they are pressed a bit, but what mods are done to the follower?  Do they run well?  A photo of the follower would be great!

Thx
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Another 45 build

Page / 22
.45 ACP Conversion Guide (Page 2 of 22)
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top