Which setup does your 9mm rig have?

A) 9mm hammer and a non-ramped bolt?

B) Ramped bolt and DPMS style hammer?

Or

C) Ramped Bolt and 9mm hammer?

Just curious
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a ramped bolt and a standard bushmaster ar15 hammer....

Why would I need to change the hammer? that's why I got the bolt ramped....??
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Or

Just curious.

For one thing you don't ramp the Bolt. You ramp the carrier. I had M60joe ramp my carrier and now I can run any kind of hammer I want. Don't need to buy the 9mm hammer.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or

Just curious.

For one thing you don't ramp the Bolt. You ramp the carrier. I had M60joe ramp my carrier and now I can run any kind of hammer I want. Don't need to buy the 9mm hammer.

Got a picture of that 9mm carrier?  Mine only has a bolt.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:29:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or

Just curious.

Look here:http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=108261
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:25:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or

Just curious.

I looked through the linked thread and still don't see any 9mm carriers, just 9mm bolts.  So, lets see a picture of this 9mm carrier you're talking about.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:54:38 AM EDT
[#9]
In the case of the 9mm, there isn't a separate bolt and carrier. There is only a bolt which happens to look similar to an AR15/M16 style carrier.

Kind of anal to point that out as everyone clearly understood what you meant. I guess this is AR15.com where everyone has to demonstrate how smart they are

Bomber
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:05:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
In the case of the 9mm, there isn't a separate bolt and carrier. There is only a bolt which happens to look similar to an AR15/M16 style carrier.

Kind of anal to point that out as everyone clearly understood what you meant. I guess this is AR15.com where everyone has to demonstrate how smart they are

Bomber

I guess you’re addressing your comments to me, so I’ll respond.  I wasn’t trying to point out how smart I am and I don’t think “everyone” got it.  Kiyoar15man “corrected” akginmaster about having his bolt ramped.  He was wrong.  Rather then stomping on him, by asking him for a picture of his 9mm carrier I was hoping he would figure it out for himself.  He then posted a link with pics, showing the fact that there is no 9mm carrier, just 9mm bolts.  My last response was one more chance for him to figure it out for himself.   So much for subtlety.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#11]
dosen't Oly use a standard carrier?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Oly uses what looks like a std  223/556 carrier, but it is not fully machined for "gas" operation...

Oly bores the front to accept a bolt head, and locks it in place, and installs a blank gas key to allow charging via charge handle.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a ramped "M16" style bolt.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#14]
DPMS, regular carrier.  Where do you even find a 9mm auto carrier suitable for ramping?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#15]
does M60Joe sell ramped bolts ?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have a ramped "M16" style bolt.

how'd that work out for you BTW?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
DPMS, regular carrier.  Where do you even find a 9mm auto carrier suitable for ramping?

If you is running the COLT® style system, all current prodution bolts is M16 compatable... This is COLT, RRA, ASA, Garrison... I have the Garrison for 3yr+ now.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoted:
does M60Joe sell ramped bolts ?

Buy your 9mm bolt somewhere, and have it shipped to him first for ramp, then he can send it to you ready to run.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I started the thread because I have a standard 9mm bolt (carrier for those who need clarification). I've experienced a broken hammer pin and am wondering if I should replace the hammer (dpms type?? or sporter type) with a 9mm hammer or have my bolt ramped. The hammer pin has been replaced with KNS anti-roll pins and I'm told the receiver is OK. So to prevent any further damage  I'm thinking of having the bolt ramped or replacing the hammer with a 9mm hammer. I know which is cheaper and quicker to do but want to know if just replacing the hammer with a 9mm hammer will reduce the "hammering" effect and reduce felt recoil. I guess I was beating around the bush when I started this thread.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I started the thread because I have a standard 9mm bolt (carrier for those who need clarification). I've experienced a broken hammer pin and am wondering if I should replace the hammer (dpms type?? or sporter type) with a 9mm hammer or have my bolt ramped. The hammer pin has been replaced with KNS anti-roll pins and I'm told the receiver is OK. So to prevent any further damage  I'm thinking of having the bolt ramped or replacing the hammer with a 9mm hammer. I know which is cheaper and quicker to do but want to know if just replacing the hammer with a 9mm hammer will reduce the "hammering" effect and reduce felt recoil. I guess I was beating around the bush when I started this thread.

The 9mm hammer will do nothing to stop the battering of the pins and lower. The only way to stop that is to have the bolt ramped..    It's the design of the bolt that causes excessive force on the hammer during it's rearward travel that causes broken pins.  Also having the bolt ramped isn't *that* much more expensive than a new hammer.

ramping thread......... http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=271499
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks MTDew.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:37:58 AM EDT
[#21]
If this happened to me. I'd just order another bolt carrier, and get it ramped and be done with it.
Good Luck akginmaster, call me when you get it back.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#22]
[

I looked through the linked thread and still don't see any 9mm carriers, just 9mm bolts.  So, lets see a picture of this 9mm carrier you're talking about.

The carrier in the middle is ramped to use any kind of hammer.  And 3 different types of hammers that can be used. I guess the carrier, bolt is the same. There is no seperate bolt for the carrier.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#23]
CORRECTION IN REGARD TO POST ABOVE :

The top assembly was a M16 bolt-carrier assembly  originally, it is nuetered for semi-auto use.. see the lack of material to trip an auto-sear.....

The middle is a COLT® style 9mm bolt, M16 compatable, it will trip an auto-sear.

The bottom is a plain everyday AR-15  bolt-carrier assembly.

The first hammer is M16, COLT just filled the magwell and slapped the 9mm upper on the M16 lower and  BAM!!,,, COLT® SMG......

The second hammer is a M16 with the auto-sear lug missing, can use with all 3 assemblies above. Couple vendors sell the hammer like this for semi-auto use currently.

The 3rd hammer (SP-1 style) with the notch is really only good for 223/556 use, though withthe style ramp the MTDew fella cut to resemble the shroud on the M16 carrier, reports been that the SP-! style hammer will work ?   Wont work with mine, as t mine has the long ramp as seen on the 9mm bolt above, not enough material to lay the hammer down enogh to catch the sear.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top