Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/24/2006 3:03:54 PM EDT
I never held one before but the first thing I noticed upon opening the wrapper was that the mags ARE LIGHT..

That's a very welcome change (I'm use to Sten mags which empty seem to weigh as much as the ammo I put in them.)

I can't wait to see how they work, unfortunatly I have to- RRA hasn't shipped my mag block.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
That's funny, I have a block (hahn) and no mags.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#2]
HAHAHA.    

That's Great.   All the parts not in the same place.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I hope you have better luck with them than the 10 I bought.

They will not work with my Hahn mag block at all.  Every round feeds straight up into the top of the barrel and forces the bullet back into the case.

The upper works flawlessly with Colt mags though. Damn they are expensive.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

They will not work with my Hahn mag block at all.  Every round feeds straight up into the top of the barrel and forces the bullet back into the case.

Which Hahn block do you have?  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I threw mine away the day I received and tested them.  Found they wouldnt feed more than two rounds without a misfeed in My Colt 6450.

That being said I think either the materials they are made out of or some portion of the manufacturing process has been changed since I purchased mine.  The newer ones are supposed to be more rigid around the feed lips or something like that.

I will not take the chance and purchase new ones to try and am sticking to my metal Colt 32 round magazines.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I have three and two are reliable. One that came with the carbine has a poor cut for the mag catch. It sits too low. That mag will jam a round right into the block once in awhile. It does it less with WWB ammo. The Remington stuff is shorter and it will hit the block more often. Forget about Hollow Points. My Colt mag works perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine work perfectly with my RRA block.

I have 12 ProMags and 4 Colts.  The ProMags work as well as the Colts, but I could use the Colts to drive tentpegs or as tentpegs... except that I never use magazines like that, so what the heck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#8]
"I have 12 ProMags and 4 Colts. The ProMags work as well as the Colts, but I could use the Colts to drive tentpegs or as tentpegs... except that I never use magazines like that, so what the heck."

The side effect of that is weight.  A lot of weight if they are anything like Sten mags.  

The feed lips on mine seem very solid.    I can't see why the notch cut would be off when it is molded in.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Do they work good ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do they work good ?

Mine do.  Others seem to have had problems (or decided they will).  Your reality may vary (shrug).
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do they work good ?

Mine do.  Others seem to have had problems (or decided they will).  Your reality may vary (shrug).

I assure you I did not decide one of my Pro Mags was causing FTF. One doesn't mention a problem that isn't there unless they are a bit off(). I am not off I just have a Pro Mag the has a poorly cut (or molded) mag catch. Therefore the mag sits a little lower than my other Pro Mags. It was a NIB (new in the bag) Pro Mag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:52:23 AM EDT
[#12]
akginmaster

I was referring to those persons who have publicly stated that they will not try or use these, despite no experience with them.  I do not believe that describes your statements.

Some have reported problems with first generation ProMags and some QC issues with individual later ProMags.  Sort of like some AR magazine makers have had QC issues, which have been fixed - or haven't.  I haven't had those problems, but then again, its a $10.99 magazine (that's all I'll pay for one) from a company that will replace them.

I had a totally screwed up Colt 9mm magazine, which - after spending $65 for (it wasn't one of Grant's $55 ones) I destroyed rather than sell because I could not get it to work at all (changed followers and springs, etc.).  That's a 20% failure rate (1 out of 5) though to be far, it was used (that was before I learned not to pay over retail for used stuff).  

And one of the rationales for using modified Uzi magazines (or Sten magazines) was that they are so cheap (compared to Colt magazines) that a 9mm AR carbine user could work up (or find) reliable ones at half the cost of Colt magazines.

At $10.99 (which is all I will pay for ProMags) I'm willing to take the chance that the magazine might need to be sent back (or tweaked).  At $55 (which is the upper limit of what I will pay for a Colt magazine) that's a bigger chance.  

My experience (which is only relevant for me) is: Colt's - 20% bad; ProMags - 100% good.

Anyone else's experience may vary from mine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 5 promags for my RRA set up.  They all work flawlessly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:22:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which Hahn block do you have?  

Non dedicated / top loading

Just to add I actually only tried 5 of the ten.  The first 5 were so bad with my setup that I got disgusted and decided to just go with the Colts.

Theese are all the latest release mags purchased brand new within the last month.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought 8 of the Pro Mags from Natchez, and they have all worked fine in my RRA, but a friends Franken 9mm AR had a couple double feeds.  

I use them for my range mags, why beat up $50 Colt mags.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I purchased a bushmaster 9mm carbon 15 that came with a promag as the factory magazine. The magazine works great with the rifle but my only comlaint is that after a few hundred rounds the pormag feedlips are already cracked. The mag still feeds fine (so far so good...but I may have to give it a proper burial tomorrow) but I was less than impressed with the durability. Then again I have only 14 dollars or so max in a promag and atleast 50-60 dollars in a colt mag per magazine on a good day....I guess the promag arent too bad for the $

just my .02
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:12:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I purchased a bushmaster 9mm carbon 15 that came with a promag as the factory magazine. The magazine works great with the rifle but my only comlaint is that after a few hundred rounds the pormag feedlips are already cracked. The mag still feeds fine (so far so good...but I may have to give it a proper burial tomorrow) but I was less than impressed with the durability. Then again I have only 14 dollars or so max in a promag and atleast 50-60 dollars in a colt mag per magazine on a good day....I guess the promag arent too bad for the $

just my .02

A $10 Promag that lasts only a few hundred.....or thousand rounds......is pretty damn expensive.  That makes Colts look dirt cheap.  Cracked lips after a few hundred rounds means you can't leave them loaded for extended periods of time.  Even if they do happen to work for you they don't have longevity and will fall apart.  

The worst case scenario I have seen with Colt mags is spring replacement, the tab for the BHO broke off on the follower, and some needed refinishing......after years of hard use, dropped in the dirt and kicked around.  I have some Colt mags I have are over a decade old.

You pay for quality once.....you pay for crap forewver.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top