Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/18/2006 7:21:27 PM EDT
I'm in the process of getting the parts together to build an XM177-style 9mm AR, using Oly/Sten style.  Does the Oly set up generally feed hollowpoints well?  I'm actually specifically wondering about Gold Dot 124gr +P, because that is my fiancee's carry ammo and it would be nice to shoot the same stuff (I carry a .40 so no ammo compatibility).

Also, does shooting +P or +P+ ammo through these set ups have any more negative effect than it does in +P rated pistols (meaning, beyond the normally increased wear)?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:34:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes the OLY feeds hollow points, no problem. I have shot gold dots in my OLY functioned great, no FTF or FTE. I have run just about everything through my gun. Just stay away from aluminum blazer. This is a very robust gun +p, +p+ no problem.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Good to hear.  Thanks for the advice re: Blazer.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes the OLY feeds hollow points, no problem. I have shot gold dots in my OLY functioned great, no FTF or FTE. I have run just about everything through my gun. Just stay away from aluminum blazer. This is a very robust gun +p, +p+ no problem.  

Why no Blazer?  Thanks, Wj
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
+one on hollow points...I run them in my Oly .40...like a raped ape!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Aluminum blazer is the only ammo that has given me any problems. I experienced jams in multiple 9mm OLYs. I was unable to even run 1 magazine full without  jams. It wasn't the gun or the mags as I have not experienced any problems using any other ammo. I beleive others have posted they had issues with blazer.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I run 45 Super through my Oly .45 so I would think that it would nearly impossible to damage a 9 millimeter AR upper by shooting hot ammo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why no Blazer?  Thanks, Wj

I have run a couple of thousand 9mm Blazers through my Oly upper with no problems at all.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I guess with the Blazer I'll use the old method of "Shoot it and Find Out!"
Would be nice to shoot Blazer at $3.86/50.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#9]
My  Colt 9mm does not work well with Blazer either.  My theory is that the aluminum cases grab on to the chamber walls and stick, slowing the bolt velocity so much that extraction and feeding are compromised.

I have seen a grand total of 3 different 9mm ARs, and none of the 3 would function reliably with Blazer.

Interestingly enough, all 3 work quite well with steel cased Wolf, both the old lacquer and the new polymer type.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top