Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2006 8:38:24 AM EDT
Does anyone here have any direct experience with BM's new 9mm AR rifle?  I saw a posting for the pistol, but I have enough 9mm pistols right now.  I have heard of a lot of problems with other brands of rifles and magazines. I was wondering how well the rifle and the magazines work.  Are the mags proprietary?

Thanks for any info  you can send my way.

S4F

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#1]
So far the ones I've seen work great.

Do you want one?

I have one to sell (NIB).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I had the pistol 9mm bushmaster and it feeds all ammo I have tried flawless. It uses promags and colt mags both no problems ever.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have wanted an AR in 9mm for a loooooooooooong time.  But when Colt was still making them in its heyday, I didn't have the money to buy a Colt.

Now other manufacturers are getting into the picture, but, for some reason it seems that chambering a rifle in a pistol caliber and making it feed and function properly are sizable challenges to arms makers.  I do not want to spend money on something that won't work reliably.

I haven't done any price checking with my local dealers to see what kind of a price they can get a BM for.  I will probably do that tomorrow.

S4F
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a BM 9mm carbine 3 weeks ago.  Went to shoot and it literally exploded, blowing out all the plastic/carbon.  Sent it back to Davidsons which opined that the gun fired when the bolt wasn't fully closed.  Opted not to get a replacement and haven't checked on it further but it scared the SH*T out of me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I bought a BM 9mm carbine 3 weeks ago.  Went to shoot and it literally exploded, blowing out all the plastic/carbon.  Sent it back to Davidsons which opined that the gun fired when the bolt wasn't fully closed.  Opted not to get a replacement and haven't checked on it further but it scared the SH*T out of me.

My contact at Davidson’s told me about that and then asked me to check the bolt on my guns. I’ve never had any problems with mine. What was the explanation given for it firing out of battery?

I hate to say it but somehow you are the one in a million that is going to have that happen.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt.  

I didn't realize Bushy made a million of these yet.......brand new in public hands......actually at most a handful have been fired much.  Statisticly at this point in time it's probably more like 1 of a 100(s)......best guess.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been lurking for awhile, so I figured I would join the fun :-)
I bought a bushmaster 9mm carbine approximately three months ago, and I love the gun, but I have two issues.

The first issue is that the promag that ships with the gun is just not durable. I have around 500 or so rounds through this gun (win white box, remington, etc) and have already cracked the feed lips on the magazine. While I realize this is not bushmaster's fault, I can see myself spending alot on mags (modified uzis, colts, etc) since the promags just don't cut it. Then again, I guess promags are twenty dollars or so, and colts are fifty dollars each on a good day.

The second issue I have is that since this rifle works perfectly right out of the box (no mag blocks, etc) I would love to sbr it and attach the factory pistol upper that bushmaster uses on their carbon 9mm pistol. However, after 3 calls to bushmaster and an email they refuse to sell me a carbon 15 9mm pistol upper for this rifle. It is not that I want to have it in my possession before I get the stamp from atf, but I would like to know that I can get the part that I need from bushmaster if I go through thr trouble of spending the 200 dollars and the time, effort, etc to sbr the rifle.

The bushmaster rep did say that any ar 9mm upper will work on this lower, but I would like the upper and lower to match (both carbon).

So that is my two cents. Hoefiully someone can benefit from a first time poster but long time lurker :-)
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I dont know why Bushy wouldnt sell you a pistol upper? If you realy like the gun (Carbon 15), sell it and buy a Bushy 9mm pistol. SBR it and put on a stock.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess in retrospect I should have purchased the pistol version and then sbr'd it and add the stock. I heard through the boards that you have to do some minor drilling to the carbon 15 pistol reciever to add the stock. However, I have not verified this information.

I was told my an extremely competant local gunsmith that it will support other barrels such as TROS, etc. which is probably the route I will end up going.

Once again, I cannot say enough great things about this rifle as it relates to performance, as this thing works great. I read about all of the problems people experience when buidling 9mm carbines and I thank bushmaster that they came out with a great product. I am just a little peaved with bushmaster sales department, since they refuse to sell me the upper, even after I promised to fax them proof of an approved form 1 for this rifle (which I shouldn't have to do anyway). Rock River Arms will sell 9mm pistol length uppers all day with no questions asked! Hmmmm....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I guess in retrospect I should have purchased the pistol version and then sbr'd it and add the stock. I heard through the boards that you have to do some minor drilling to the carbon 15 pistol reciever to add the stock. However, I have not verified this information.

It's true. To convert the pistol to an SBR is very easy. After getting you Form 1 back all you have to do is install a colapsable stock kit. You will have to drill one small hole in the reciever plate that comes with the kit.

I was told my an extremely competant local gunsmith that it will support other barrels such as TROS, etc. which is probably the route I will end up going.

My advice buy a Carbon-15 upper and build on that. You will have two upper then and spend abou the same money.

Once again, I cannot say enough great things about this rifle as it relates to performance, as this thing works great. I read about all of the problems people experience when buidling 9mm carbines and I thank bushmaster that they came out with a great product. I am just a little peaved with bushmaster sales department, since they refuse to sell me the upper, even after I promised to fax them proof of an approved form 1 for this rifle (which I shouldn't have to do anyway). Rock River Arms will sell 9mm pistol length uppers all day with no questions asked! Hmmmm....

They are not selling uppers or any extra 9mm parts till they fill all their orders for full guns. Try calling them again in 6 months.

Here is mine:
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:44:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone have a pic of the front of the pistol handguard? Is there enough space for a supressor to fit inside. I was thinking a carbon 9mm pistol would make a sweet intrigal supressor build. Hmmm, maybe a new project on the horizon.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#14]
The handguard is not floating so you would have to make your own handguard mounts if you really wanted to put the suppressor inside the handguard.

They are also a bitch to take apart.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top