Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 9:19:13 AM EDT
Does this happen?  

Do you need a special bolt catch or will a std Ar15 5.56 bolt catch work?

I was just on the phone wih RRA and they said they are bringing out a magazine in July that will lock the bolt, but I was wondering if anything was availible now.   (obviously not Colt as $55 a mag is rediculous.)
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The promag have the potential to lock the bolt back.  I dont know about the RRA block, but my hahn dedicated block locks back both colt and promag no problemo.

ETA:  What kind of mag is RRA going to use now.  A whole new mag, or a newly modified one?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
RRA was talking about an entirely new RRA magazine.  

That's where I'm not understanding.  The RRA people say that the bolt will lock back with their block and a Colt mag but they have no idea what a promag is.  

The concensus here seems to be that the hahn people have bad results with Promags and the RRA people have good results.

The hahn block needs removal of the bolt catch to install the RRA unit does not- so it would seem to suggest get RRA as they supposedly lock a std Ar15 bolt catch; drop in; and function with Promags.

Can anyone confirm that [bolded statement] is true?

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#4]
They work in my all RRA 9mm build.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine also lock my bolt back....RRA bottom block (decided to pin the damn thing or it will NOT stay in place) and Promags....they wrok very well for me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Mine also lock my bolt back....RRA bottom block (decided to pin the damn thing or it will NOT stay in place) and Promags....they wrok very well for me.

MY mag converter has never moved. I have been think about adding some pins to it one day just to make sure it does not because my gun is running like a wild dog in spring.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#7]
This is my second build...both have wanted to slide up or down...usually up and then is rubs the carrier slowing it down and causing failures. I know this one moved for the first time when my buddy slapped the mag in.....and I had the screws tight and also had a second set screw butted up agains the first one with blue locktite (blue is the wimpy stuff). I just pinned it (if you want to call it pinning??) so I know it will NEVER move again....hate to have it fail in a mad bowling pin or pop can frenzie
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#8]
ProMags hold the bolt open everytime with my RRA bottom-loading magazine block.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]
ProMags hold the bolt open each and every time on my RRA factory 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the choice is obvious.  

Get the RRA block, and promags.  Thanks.  

I'm excited at the prospect of affordable 9mm mags that will lock the bolt back.  

I think I'll drill and tap my block and just use an allen cap screw through the lower to fix the block in place when I want to use the 9mm.  It sounds like that's the only major issue with the RRA (people mentioning sliding around as if it's going to fall out.)
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish someone would start making new 20rd 9mm mags. I just like the smaller/shorter size of a 20rounder.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I wish someone would start making new 20rd 9mm mags. I just like the smaller/shorter size of a 20rounder.

PRo-mag I think is going to make some 20's and RRA is going to makes some mags too , I dont know how many they will hold, the RRA ones.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder when the promag 20's will come out for sell? I will buy several of them. The 32rd promag I have just works perfect. I never used it at first as I had about a half dozen colts and gave it a chance one day while out shooting and its been flawless eversince.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#14]
my promags hold the bolt open with my RRA, they are also easier to load than colt mags, but i want 20rd mags!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Steve,

Just following up on this.  This is some of the best news I have seen in a loing time regarding Pistol Caliber RRA products.

Do you have even a guess as to what one of the RRA mags would cost?

I am so tired of trying to make adaptations work.  You read these boards and about half the posts are about block / mags not working (heck half the posts in this thread talk about this)  I think RRA would really be onto something to answer the "whole package" question.  I know I would be in line for 2 of the new 9MM pistols myself.

Thanks

Quoted:
We're working on new metal 32rd mags from dedicated dies that would allow us to keep dimensions exact.   I've personally not experienced problems with the modified Uzi's, but we've received feedback that some, but not all, users have some problems with some mags in some rifles/conversions.  As long as we're looking at doing it, we're also goign to include a bolt hold open feature into the new mag.  Should have some prototypes in hand in a few weeks.  If acceptable, production would follow shortly thereafter.
Steve/RRA

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Steve,

Just following up on this.  This is some of the best news I have seen in a loing time regarding Pistol Caliber RRA products.

Do you have even a guess as to what one of the RRA mags would cost?

I am so tired of trying to make adaptations work.  You read these boards and about half the posts are about block / mags not working (heck half the posts in this thread talk about this)  I think RRA would really be onto something to answer the "whole package" question.  I know I would be in line for 2 of the new 9MM pistols myself.

Thanks

I think they will charge an arm and leg for them.............or at least they do for their "modified" uzi mags.

Quoted:
We're working on new metal 32rd mags from dedicated dies that would allow us to keep dimensions exact.   I've personally not experienced problems with the modified Uzi's, but we've received feedback that some, but not all, users have some problems with some mags in some rifles/conversions.  As long as we're looking at doing it, we're also goign to include a bolt hold open feature into the new mag.  Should have some prototypes in hand in a few weeks.  If acceptable, production would follow shortly thereafter.
Steve/RRA

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#17]
C Products is about to start producing 9mm AR-type mags for Colt/RRA/CMMG 9mm carbines.  As far as bolt hold open, I'm not sure.  But another good mag out there, esecially one that doesn't cost and arm and a leg, will be nice.

TS
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#18]
That is deffinitely interesting.  

Would be nice to know more about that.  

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top